Changing Pronunciations

Changing Pronunciations

Postby J Kendrick » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:05 pm

Check out this British Library study report at 'The Telegraph':
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... tions.html

Quote: "Linguists put changing pronunciations down to the influence of broadcasters and US culture.... The number of times something is heard influences the way people pronounce it, because they assume that is the way to say it.”

Comments?
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Re: Changing Pronunciations

Postby Paul P » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:10 pm

I'm surprised the Brits are just figuring this out now. They're usually up to speed on this.
Personally there's nothing new here and no controversy.
But I'm sure a couple of the resident know-it-alls will astound us with their wisdom.
Being nice is my resolve - in 2012
Paul P
Advanced Member

Postby yathink » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:43 am

Paul P wrote:I'm sure a couple of the resident know-it-alls will astound us with their wisdom.

Hmmm. No know-it-alls? No wisdom? No interest.
I can't give you a brain, but I can give you a diploma.
yathink
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:45 am

It aint wisdom, just an opinion, but I think if you're watching an old spooky movie it sounds way eerier hearing someone like Vincent Price pronouncing it "laboratory
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:45 pm

J Kendrick wrote:Check out this British Library study report at 'The Telegraph':

Quote: "Linguists put changing pronunciations down to the influence of broadcasters and US culture.... The number of times something is heard influences the way people pronounce it, because they assume that is the way to say it.”

Comments?

and spelling too John - with computers I think you can set for canadian english vs aMarricann warshington angliss :rockon:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:43 pm

J Kendrick wrote:Check out this British Library study report at 'The Telegraph':

Comments?

Sounds about right. An Aussie by the name of David Thorne (who's an instigator of various internet shenanigans that I find pretty humorous, most famous for the "7 legged spider" e-mail thread that ended up in probably everyone's inbox a year or two ago) said recently about his time in America that he "[cringes] whenever the word aluminium is pronounced". The North American "Ah-loo-mih-numb" is considered oafish compared to speaking the Queen's English, "Ah-loo-mih-knee-umm".
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:57 pm

Paul P. I'm going to keep my word....this is a sports comment......would you care, you miserable s.o.b. if you got into goal some time and the rest of us take pot shots at you without your pads and mask on? I'd sure like to be the first.
When you squeal ouch, I'm sure we would be able to pronounce that word. :knob:
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:00 am

Jack Bennest wrote:... and spelling too John - with computers I think you can set for canadian english vs aMarricann warshington angliss :rockon:

... and dreadful 'aMarricann' grammar, to boot.

Thirty years ago, we had all made fun of what was then called "Valley Girl Speak" or "Val Speak"... now sometimes referred to as "California English".

Frank Zappa had even written a big hit song about it, which we had all thought hugely humourous at the time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=489pO9q8guA

Three decades on, the whole world now seems to be speaking English this same way... the problem now being exacerbated even further by the advent of the so-called "social media'.

Here in 2011, Zappa's song doesn't seem quite so funny anymore...
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Return to Non Radio Related Topics