George Garrett

Veteran broadcaster Mike Cleaver is doing a series of interviews with long time west coast broadcasters. These interviews are a joint project between Mike Cleaver, BCRadioHistory.com and RadioWest.ca. New iinterviews are being added weekly.

George Garrett

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:49 pm

George Garrett - CJNB North Battleford SK 1954-55; news reporter CKNW New Westminster 1955-64; sales CKNW 1964-75; Station Manager CJAT Trail 1976; news then investigative reporter CKNW 1976-99; retired 1999; member Canadian Association of Broadcasters Half Century Club; Radio-Television News Directors Association Lifetime Achievement Award 2004

Mike talks to George

Thanks to radiofan, gord lansdell, George Garrett and of course Mike Cleaver
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: George Garrett

Postby CubbyCam » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:54 pm

Great to hear it all in his own words.... One of the nicest people I ever worked against. :-)
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:13 pm

Four words:classy guy, excellent reporter.
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:50 pm

What Lee said! :D
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:48 pm

I wish I could come up with the superlative to describe Mr. G's career.
Great stuff.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:23 am

If you know George well, he might say the first 20 years was just the training for the last 20 years. George did a little of everything when he arrived at NW - news and sales, worked for CFMI - then a bit of a mistake in Trail and then a humbling return to NW where in 1976 Warren Barker gave him a department unto himself - investigator.

Harry Phillips and I worked along side George for that first year (1976) while Garrett filled his black book with contacts/informants. He renewed relationships on the police force/in the courts that went back to the fifties.

The regular beaters continued fine work breaking news daily and then after about a year - George came into his element and began a long series of great stories out flanking all competitors including his NW peers.

He earned the respect of radio, tv and newspaper personnel as a gracious individual appearing to have little ego and
an incredible amount of energy.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:07 pm

Hearing George speak brought back memories of chats in his office, when he worked in Trail as the SM. George did a fine job, but wasn't appreciated enough by the company owners. George Garrett is a class act !
PMC

Postby BossRadio » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:12 pm

Superb investigator, and number one on my "guy-in-the-corner-office" list. A treat to hear George hale,hearty and as modest as ever.

PMC, If memory serves, you were on board when George spear-headed an Italian earthquake radiothon. It was soon after his arrival in Trail, and he was genuinely touched at the outpouring of support in the tiny city. Good dude,and it showed.
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby crs » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:45 am

Totally agree with other posters here that GG is a class act. He even lent me some audio for a mutual story we were working on (fair trade-off as he was using our newsroom to file to 'NW! :wink: ) Well respected by many Staff Sgt's I met during my Valley tour of duty. When I introduced myself as a reporter, some of them would wax poetically about their dealings with GG. Didn't know if that was a plus or minus to establishing my own police relationships! 8-)
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Return to Mike Cleaver's Radiographies