Ron Robinson - a distinguished career

Veteran broadcaster Mike Cleaver is doing a series of interviews with long time west coast broadcasters. These interviews are a joint project between Mike Cleaver, BCRadioHistory.com and RadioWest.ca. New iinterviews are being added weekly.

Ron Robinson - a distinguished career

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:35 am

Mike talks to Ron

Ron Robinson - On air/production CKWX Vancouver 1951-68 including "reconstruction" of Mounties out of town baseball broadcasts beginning in 1957; administration CJVI Victoria 1968-73; CKDA/CFMS-FM Victoria 1975-95; CKXM/CKXM-FM/CKKQ-FM Victoria 1995-2001; Canadian Association of Broadcasters Half Century Club 2001; Vancouver Canadians Baseball Broadcast and Journalism Hall of Fame inductee 2010

Thanks to radiofan, gord lansdell, Ron Robinson and of course Mike Cleaver
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: Ron Robinson - a distinguished career

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:40 am

Hall of Famer - Ron Robinson

By Lyndon Little, Vancouver Sun

Robinson made a major contribution to Vancouver baseball as producer of Pacific Coast League Mounties' games, both at Capilano Stadium (now Nat Bailey) and the reconstruction of road games.

When the Mounties were on the road Robinson worked with 'WX play-by-play men Jim Robson and Bill Stevenson to "recreate" the game at the station's studios on Burrard Street, using information obtained from a designated teletype operator at the park where the team was playing.

A perfectionist, Robinson was meticulous in recording authentic ballpark sounds -- even going as far as to inquire from the visiting ballparks which ones used organ music for their games. Robinson would then mix the sounds into the action at the appropriate times.

"Ron was the real genius behind the whole thing," credited Robson in a previous Sun story. "The challenge was making up for the occasional teletype interruptions.

"Once, we had received only two outs for an inning. So we had a guy picked off first base just to keep the batting order intact."

"Those extra $25 fees [for working the ball games] made it possible for me and my family to get the only home I ever built," Robinson once commented.

llittle@vancouversun.com

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/make ... z0wgoKD5jz
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: Ron Robinson - a distinguished career

Postby CubbyCam » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:12 pm

Great to hear Ron's memories... I always enjoyed working with him at WX on Burrard Street... Looking forward to Robson now! Another good job Mike, and thanks for the great work you've been doing.
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Return to Mike Cleaver's Radiographies