Epic FAIL Sportsnet using NBC Sports Play by Play

A place to post your bitch or rant about anything that's not radio related

Epic FAIL Sportsnet using NBC Sports Play by Play

Postby crs » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:21 pm

So with a 5.2 Billion dollar deal to exclusively telecast hockey into Canadian Living rooms for ten years, you'd think Rogers would use their own play by play teams for the Stanley Cup Playoffs. What do I hear during tonight's Hawks/Knights Game 1 tilt but the NBC Sports team calling the shots AND hosting the intermission. What gives? Trying to save a few sheckles to offset that whopper of a deal with the NHL or that Blue Jackets/Bolts quintuple OT maybe was waaay past McLean and Friedmans bedtime???
:towel:
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Re: Epic FAIL Sportsnet using NBC Sports Play by Play

Postby mccrady » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:54 pm

. . . And just to rub it in a bit, the guy who called that great five-overtime game was TSN's Gord Miller.
mccrady
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:06 pm

What's an even bigger fail is that instead of being able to watch the Canucks in the playoffs for free on the CBC I'm forced to give money to Rogers.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Peteradio » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:10 pm

Here’s Gord Miller:
“...McDavid!...IN!”
“...Crosby!...IN!”
please tell me I’m not the only one who notices this annoying trait.
Peteradio
Advanced Member

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:19 am

tuned wrote:What's an even bigger fail is that instead of being able to watch the Canucks in the playoffs for free on the CBC I'm forced to give money to Rogers.

Not sure why that's a fail. That wasn't going to be possible in an era of exploding TV rights.

Second to that, I know the qualifying round games weren't on CBC but was game one on Wednesday not simulcast there?
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:30 pm

Well (on the positive side then), I don't need to subscribe to NBC Sports Network to watch American NHL games in the post-season as it's built into the Sportsnet plan I pay for. Guess I come from an era where I was spoiled by the CBC, Canadian play-by-play teams, Canadian host and instead of 4 talking heads during intermission we were treated to some 5 minute profile pieces. AND we also used to get bits of the other game that was playing during intermission...and HNIC instant updates when a goal was scored in another game. Guess we agree to disagree there Fred... :occasion5: Cheers!
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Return to The Bitchin' Post