Isn't it a bit early?

A place to post your bitch or rant about anything that's not radio related

Isn't it a bit early?

Postby kat » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:44 pm

I popped into the local South Surrey Thrifty Foods tonight and was shocked that there was a Salvation Army person at the door ringing her bells and wishing people a Merry Christmas and of course, expecting a few bucks in the kettle. It's the 17th of November, aren't we at least two weeks if not more early? They're not playing Christmas music in the store yet, which is a big bonus for them. Last weekend in Shoppers Drug Mart they had wall to wall Christmas music. I thought I was in Edmonton for Christ's sake!

I guess the Sally Ann folks have their place this time of year, but let's at least wait til December for them to glare at us when we don't drop anything in their kettles. No cash for that huge money making corporation known as The Salvation Army for me. I give to the SPCA and United Gospel Mission where I know the $ will do some good.

:cat2:
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Re: Isn't it a bit early?

Postby Tape Splicer » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:40 pm

I Saw a Salvation Army kettle and bell ringer at the Safeway in New Westminster yesterday and although surprised I can't say I was upset about it, The person was friendly and appreciative of the funds that were dropped into the kettle. The people who are out there are volunteers - at one time they were paid an honorarium - but this changed a few years ago.
I've not found anything offensive about this kind of solicitation. What is more disquieting is the person with cap in hand on the sidewalk... if you walk by with out giving something has a foul word or gesture.
The funds raised go to several good causes and this is the one of the year when folks are a little more generous, and willing to share with those who have less.
Having the kettle out there for six weeks is no big deal.
If I remember correctly The Salvation Army is the largest non-government social agency, if not in Canada, certainly in BC.
As far as giving is concerned I'd choose The Salvation Army, The NW Orphan"s Fund, Children's Hospital, and Variety as the four charities worth giving to in this area.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:28 pm

Check to see how much coin the Sally Ann Pays it's Directors.

I fainted.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:04 pm

Not sure that I'd faint over this (taken from the public disclosure page of the Canadian Sally Ann) -

Executive compensation

The compensation package for all commissioned officers of The Salvation Army includes housing accommodation, with furnishings and utilities provided by the Army, a leased vehicle or vehicle allowance, and a cash allowance based on years of service. The cost of compensation provided to senior officers is comparatively lower than that paid to executives in other similar organizations. The employment income for tax purposes reported in 2010 for the five most senior commissioned officers of The Salvation Army in Canada, ranged from $31,080 to $39,143, with an average of $34,185.

The size and scope of the Army’s operations creates a level of complexity that requires the Army to hire highly skilled professional and technical staff to supplement the skill set found in its commissioned officer ranks. While these salaries are typically less than comparable positions in the for-profit sector, there is increased competition for professional staff, and as a result, compensation for executives in the sector has increased in recent years.

In 2010, there were 39 non-officer staff in professional and technical roles in The Salvation Army whose total employment income for tax purposes was above $100,000. Their income for tax purposes ranged from $100,049 to $239,081 with an average of $131,625.

There is a tension between paying competitive salaries to attract the right people on the one hand, and ensuring that executive compensation does not reach unreasonable levels on the other. This tension is particularly acute in the not-for-profit sector where organizations and donors are both concerned about keeping administrative costs low so as to maximize funds available for direct service delivery. We believe that The Salvation Army is managing this tension well.

http://annualreview.salvationarmy.ca/an ... ighlights/

Compare that to the executives at BC Universities and Hospitals - http://www.vancouversun.com/business/pu ... index.html
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:20 pm

The Salvation Army has had a bad rep for a long time.

(Some of) Those they help call them "The Starvation Army". My mother lived in Southern Ontario until relatively recently and wouldn't go to their Thrift Stores because the staff always responded in a tone that came off as "I'm in a Union so I can't be fired, so why should I help you? Figure it out for yourself." Not to mention the fact that they got paid more than the top cashier at her favourite (non-union) grocery store.

And a friend did voice work for their PSAs and was embarrassed at how much he got paid.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Return to The Bitchin' Post