The Ten Worst Songs of 2011

A place to post your bitch or rant about anything that's not radio related

The Ten Worst Songs of 2011

Postby Buckley » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:15 am

My annual "Ten Worst Songs" list is up, for those that might be interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLmAnzi_52k

As with... pretty much everything I post, just a reminder, it's NSFW, and the kids probably shouldn't be in the room unless you want them to grow up like me :-)
Buckley
Advanced Member

Re: The Ten Worst Songs of 2011

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:09 am

Let us both be honest name the top 10 best songs of the last decade. Have you got three yet?

Ok I know - back to my chestnuts and Nat King Cole.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:06 pm

I think there is a whole category of "this century" songs that most of us would agree, on first hearing, that over 90% of them would fit in our "worst songs" list.

That is the cover versions of classic hits we all remember, many of them CanCon, increasing the chances you have heard them in restaurants, malls or overhearing a radio station you don't normally listen to. Truth be told, "Big Yellow Taxi" by Counting Crows (2003) has almost all of the elements of a great song in my book. Except the original Joni Mitchel song has been played way too many times on Oldies stations in the last 15 years. And, having originally been OK with the Joni Mitchell version when it first came out -- at the time, I felt it was certainly not the best thing she had ever done, but I really did like her work in those years -- I could never get my head around Counting Crows emphasizing the "paved paradise" part to make it into a "green song".

I'm also including, in that Cover Song category, songs that sample classic hits as their main "hook". For example, "Time of the Season" by the Zombies was victimized in a very popular song not that long ago.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby ThisIsNotCBC » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:04 am

jon wrote: I'm also including, in that Cover Song category, songs that sample classic hits as their main "hook". For example, "Time of the Season" by the Zombies was victimized in a very popular song not that long ago.

Personally, I prefer to refer to song "sampling" as ripping off the original music track from those classic songs. I feel this way because I think those recording "artists" (and I use that term very loosely in their cases) who resort to that are too lazy to write their own music.
ThisIsNotCBC
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:17 am

ThisIsNotCBC wrote:Personally, I prefer to refer to song "sampling" as ripping off the original music track from those classic songs. I feel this way because I think those recording "artists" (and I use that term very loosely in their cases) who resort to that are too lazy to write their own music.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but taking that argument to its logical extreme puts Elvis in a pretty bad light, given that he did not, to the best of my knowledge, ever write anything he recorded.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:29 pm

Everything with "Awfultune" used.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:26 pm

Mike Cleaver wrote:Everything with "Awfultune" used.

That's pretty much everything now :-) I was reading an article the other day that said most pop producers today run the vocals through Auto-tune software or hardware at least once with every song they do, and all artists have come to expect it will be done. Some sort of hardware auto-tune solution is also present at most concerts. When used right, you barely notice it (it's still clearly noticeable since no one's perfect but they manage to hit every note while jumping around on stage, if they're not also just lip syncing, but a lot of artists try and use it a little more subtle compared to T-Pain or Ke$ha's use of it where the voice sounds incredibly processed), but pretty much everyone uses auto-tune now, in all sorts of genres.
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby Destro » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:09 pm

ThisIsNotCBC wrote:
jon wrote: I'm also including, in that Cover Song category, songs that sample classic hits as their main "hook". For example, "Time of the Season" by the Zombies was victimized in a very popular song not that long ago.

Personally, I prefer to refer to song "sampling" as ripping off the original music track from those classic songs. I feel this way because I think those recording "artists" (and I use that term very loosely in their cases) who resort to that are too lazy to write their own music.

disagree.
blog: http://morningaftershow.wordpress.com "A voice of reason amongst the doubters!" - Sandclan
Destro
Advanced Member

Postby Destro » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Mike Cleaver wrote:Everything with "Awfultune" used.

every time you write "awefultune" a baby reindeer dies.
blog: http://morningaftershow.wordpress.com "A voice of reason amongst the doubters!" - Sandclan
Destro
Advanced Member

Return to The Bitchin' Post