How we do "news" in Ontario...

A place to post your bitch or rant about anything that's not radio related

How we do "news" in Ontario...

Postby Buckley » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:41 pm

Semi off-topic, in that I am bitchin', but it's not about a "non-radio related" topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3je5hslOBIE

NSFW at all, so for those of you with sensitive ears, I'll save you the swearing and 3 minutes of my ranting, and give you the short version: two news outlets here in my town, a radio station and a local newspaper, ran stories about the brand new "Apple Store". One of them mentioned that the first 1000 people get a free t-shirt, the other ran testimonials from a family who loves Apple products. Neither had a SHRED of anything I would call journalism, and neither marked the stories as "advertising", so I can only assume they weren't paid for by Apple, which is even worse to me. Journalism at its finest. "Coming up, are you getting enough McDonalds in your diet? McDonalds says probably not... but first, the new Ford F150... great hauling capacity AND excellent handling in one? We interview a Ford executive to find out just what an amazing value this truck is!"
Buckley
Advanced Member

Re: How we do "news" in Ontario...

Postby CKNF » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:49 pm

Oh dear, here comes J Kendrick... :lol:

BTW Buckley, love your rants. They are entertaining and many of them speak of much truth, as harsh as some of it is.
CKNF
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:56 pm

CKNF wrote:Oh dear, here comes J Kendrick... :lol:
BTW Buckley, love your rants. They are entertaining and many of them speak of much truth, as harsh as some of it is.

Bring anyone on, I've had a great time debating this topic (so far it's been intelligent and polite discussion, aside from one guy who e-mailed to call me a "retard" and a "dick-bag", the second being a quote from my own rant).

And thanks, I always appreciate the feedback. Though I do feel the need to correct you... I always speak the truth... the truth according to me :-) Thanks again!
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby CKNF » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:10 pm

Buckley wrote:Bring anyone on, I've had a great time debating this topic (so far it's been intelligent and polite discussion, aside from one guy who e-mailed to call me a "retard" and a "dick-bag", the second being a quote from my own rant).
Oh, I'm sure Kendrick will agree with you. But I'm also sure he'll add his own few cents as well and go on with his tirades against Apple. He hates Apple with a passion. Therefore, I'm sure you'll find an ally there at least.
Buckley wrote:And thanks, I always appreciate the feedback. Though I do feel the need to correct you... I always speak the truth... the truth according to me :-) Thanks again!
:)
CKNF
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:46 pm

CKNF wrote: Oh, I'm sure Kendrick will agree with you. But I'm also sure he'll add his own few cents as well and go on with his tirades against Apple. He hates Apple with a passion. Therefore, I'm sure you'll find an ally there at least.

Kendrick does not "hate" Apple Inc. What Kendrick does not like is the way that Apple Inc. is always given a free ride in the news media over its competitors.

What Kendrick does not like is the way that the news media are regularly duped into giving Apple Inc. yet another round of free advertising... every single time that one of Apple Inc.'s employees "accidentally" manages to leave their next new iProduct sitting on a bar somewhere.

Buckley is absolutely right, and it reiterates what Kendrick has said earlier on this board: If Apple Inc. wants to publicize its new products, then it should be expected to pay for its commercial broadcast time just like every other advertiser.

... and if you had not mentioned Kendrick's name... he would not have responded... :wave:
Last edited by J Kendrick on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby CKNF » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:51 pm

J Kendrick wrote:... and if you hadn't mentioned his name... he would not have responded... :wave:

You know It's all in good fun. :)
CKNF
Advanced Member

Postby Big Voice » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:05 pm

Big Voice is curious? Big Voice wants to know why Kendrick refers to himself in the 3rd person. Tarzan used to do that, and so did the wrestler The Rock.
Big Voice
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:16 am

Big Voice wrote:Big Voice is curious? Big Voice wants to know why Kendrick refers to himself in the 3rd person. Tarzan used to do that, and so did the wrestler The Rock.

Just to bug the critics... :-)
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:16 am

I call Kenrick - John - and get a much better response Mr. Voice

He is probably on here as Kendrick to seperate himself from another distinguished whiner Sykes .... :tonguewaving:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:17 am

oops Kendrick - someday I will get it back but might have to pay a penalty fee :worthybow:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:57 pm

He's probably on here just to give Jack a bad time... :wave:
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:52 pm

One last point regarding all of the free news coverage that is now given to Apple Inc...

From the Canadian Association of Journalists' Ethics Guidlines:

Quote:

"We do not give favoured treatment to advertisers and special interests. We resist their efforts to influence the news."

See: http://www.caj.ca/?p=1776
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:00 pm

The other "elephant" in the room is McDonalds.
They try to strong arm stations into participating in their McCrappy Days promotion, hinting that if they don't get personalities to flip burgers and get free coverage on the station, the advertising contract will be cancelled.
This has been going on as long as McDonalds has been in Canada and at every station at which I've worked.
Why Apple, which doesn't even advertise on radio gets all this hype, I don't know.
As I posted in the "Radiofolk" group on Facebook, when we received calls in any of the newsrooms in which I've worked, we've told the caller to "buy some f**king spots! Here's the number for the sales department."
Locally, BC Ferries seems to get a lot of free publicity and there are some others you'll probably remember.
It's always "give us what we want or you won't get any of our advertising dollars."
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:38 pm

The "kicker" in this whole situation is the Name Brand fetish that appeared in the generation that followed us (Baby Boomers). It seemed to begin with kids of friends at the very beginning of the 1980s who HAD to have Nike sneakers or they wouldn't be accepted by their peer group at school.

Since all the desirable (to Radio Managers) demographics these days are in the generations that followed Baby Boomers, Morning Show babble and even News is being aimed at those generations. And Apple is one of those Name Brand fetishes.

That's my only explanation for the free advertising.

Obviously, B.C. Ferries would not fall into that category. :groovy:
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:16 am

jon wrote:Since all the desirable (to Radio Managers) demographics these days are in the generations that followed Baby Boomers, Morning Show babble and even News is being aimed at those generations. And Apple is one of those Name Brand fetishes.

That's my only explanation for the free advertising.

Morning Show babble is one thing, it's expected that nothing of any real importance will be discussed and it's all basically free advertising (talking about new products, celebrities, TV shows, movies, popular apps for your iPhone). Apparently though, it's too much to ask for the NEWS to be better than two guys going on about nothing while the girl provides the laugh track. The opening of an Apple Store, if a station must give free advertising, is perfect "local", "topical" material for the morning show (as perfect as mindless nonsense gets anyway). A line like "The first 1000 people get a free t-shirt" should not be written by any self-respecting human being working in a news department.
Buckley
Advanced Member

Next

Return to The Bitchin' Post