What CBC NewsWorld sounds like

A place to post your bitch or rant about anything that's not radio related

What CBC NewsWorld sounds like

Postby bigbry » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:06 pm

Here’s what CBC NewsWorld sounds like out West and on the East Coast as well I’m sure…
https://soundcloud.com/offthelawn/cbc-news-world-parody
bigbry
Advanced Member

Re: What CBC NewsWorld sounds like

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:45 pm

When I meet people here in the states, sooner or later it comes up that I come from Canada.
How often do I get variations of; " Oh I used to know this guy from Toronto, Bob McKenzie. You know him?"

Side thought: I recently totaled 1050 posts on RadioWest. 1050 significantly being the frequency of the iconic CHUM AM, a radio station famously located in.......Toronto.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby bigbry » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:10 pm

Boy that's the truth neumann! Love your CHUM line as week...ha ha
bigbry
Advanced Member

Postby mccrady » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:15 pm

I love it. In Toronto, other parts of the CBC network long ago became "the regions".

Remember when Newsworld was first licenced? They were going to tell Canadians about Canada from Canada, with major anchor operations in Halifax and Calgary as well as (of course) Toronto, not to mention bureaus all over the place.

The bureaus (usually staffed by a contract producer, not a union reporter) lasted two or three years and then were chopped. Guess where those resources went?
Now, the Calgary and Halifax operations are also history, as is Newsworld itself. Now re-branded as CBC News Network, it produces Toronto-centric crap and largely ignores "the regions", unless there's a calamity going on out there.

During the mid-70s, I worked with the late Paddy Gregg, during his time in Edmonton as the CBC's National Reporter for Alberta and the Far North. He used to refer to the national news operation in Toronto as "Never-Never Land". I've never heard a better description.

Mind you, decisions about what gets covered and the manner of that coverage have always been subject to the perceptions and experience of the decision-makers. I, for one, had to shake my head at the lead story all the New York-based American networks selected the day four members of the famed RCMP were gunned down in rural Alberta.

Their unanimous choice as top story? Michael Jackson showing up for court in his designer jammies.
mccrady
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:57 pm

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:Side thought: I recently totaled 1050 posts on RadioWest. 1050 significantly being the frequency of the iconic CHUM AM, a radio station famously located in.......Toronto.

Equally funny, at least to me, is that were Neum to turn on his radio today, or any time in the daytime in the last 50 years, and tune it to 1050, he would be listening to KBLE, a station that has arguably made less changes to their format than CHUM in that same half century.

Not to take anything away from CHUM, which holds the record for largest number of Canadian listeners of any Top 40 station in history.

mccrady wrote:During the mid-70s, I worked with the late Paddy Gregg, during his time in Edmonton as the CBC's National Reporter for Alberta and the Far North. He used to refer to the national news operation in Toronto as "Never-Never Land". I've never heard a better description.

Since mccrady first reported Paddy's death back in May, I've collected a couple of pics and two of the best articles from the time of his death:
http://edmontonbroadcasters.com/ebc/col ... egg-paddy/
jon
Advanced Member

Return to The Bitchin' Post