Newsrooms with short memories

A place to post your bitch or rant about anything that's not radio related

Newsrooms with short memories

Postby J Kendrick » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:10 pm

For the past few days I've been tearing out what little hair I have left... listening to our local newsrooms reporting on Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's current visit to Canada and claiming that this is the first Canadian visit by an Indian Prime Minster since Indira Gandhi was here 42 years ago in 1973.

No, folks... It is *not* the first visit in 42 years. The last time that an Indian Prime Minister visited Canada was, in fact, 28 years ago in 1987.

The last Canadian visit of an Indian Prime Minister was the first time that our fair city would experience major international security measures being taken, when then Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi (Indira Gandhi's son) was in attendance at the biennial Commonwealth Heads of Government Conference -- along with Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II -- right here in Vancouver at Canada Place during the third week of October in 1987. Aside from the heavy security and a couple of noisy demonstrations, Ragiv Gandhi's visit was relatively uneventful. Three and half years later, however, he was killed by a suicide bomber while campaigning in India in May of 1991.

So... Is it our newsrooms who have the short memories... or the people in Ottawa who send out the press releases that those same newsrooms rarely, if ever, question?
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Re: Newsrooms with short memories

Postby Howaboutthat » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:23 pm

Nothing seems to make you happy, but would you feel better if they said 'first State visit' in 42 years.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:52 pm

The link below is to the "official" portrait of the heads of state who attended the 1987 commonweal conference in Vancouver ... There is no caption stating who is pictured.

http://thecommonwealth.org/history-of-t ... ting-chogm
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:57 pm

Tape Splicer wrote:The link below is to the "official" portrait of the heads of state who attended the 1987 commonweal conference in Vancouver ... There is no caption stating who is pictured.

http://thecommonwealth.org/history-of-t ... ting-chogm

Sure looks like New Zealand's David Lange and India's Rajiv Gandhi as third and second from the right in the back row.
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:23 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:Nothing seems to make you happy, but would you feel better if they said 'first State visit' in 42 years.

Should that be the factual detail to fix the problem, then so be it.

But the need for correct details helps believability in a story. If a reporter or anchor cannot present basics, then the other "facts" become suspect. Dan Burritt on Sunday evening's CBC News carried on CHEK for example told me the ship blamed for the oil spill in English Bay was a "tanker". Well, it had been earlier described as loading grain which makes me more inclined to believe it's actually a bulk carrier as other outlets had said.
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:45 am

Howaboutthat wrote:Nothing seems to make you happy, but would you feel better if they said 'first State visit' in 42 years.

The short answer: No...
I was there.
With The Queen and 47 other Commonwealth Heads of State in attendance and all that heavy security... that particular 1987 gathering 28 years ago sure looked like a State visit from my vantage point.
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:34 pm

J Kendrick wrote:

The short answer: No...
I was there.
With The Queen and 47 other Commonwealth Heads of State in attendance and all that heavy security...

Actually, John, at least three, and possibly more, were Heads of Government, HM the Queen being the Head of State in their Dominion.
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:51 am

xwdcatvb wrote:Actually, John, at least three, and possibly more, were Heads of Government, HM the Queen being the Head of State in their Dominion.

Heads of Government rather than Heads of State... Yeah, I know...

That sort of thing can happen occasionally... when one posts at a quarter to four in the morning... and then realises the slip-up just a minute too late to edit the post... ;-)
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Return to The Bitchin' Post