Ten Worst Songs of 2010

A place to post your bitch or rant about anything that's not radio related

Re: Ten Worst Songs of 2010

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:48 pm

Oh I do know (and so do recording industry professionals, yes there still are some left) what Awfultune is.
It's designed to let anyone be a singer or instrumentalist by correcting all their off pitch goofs and covering up the fact they have no real talent or skills at playing an instrument.
We got along fine without it until a decade ago when it first showed up.
It sounds like crap, as does most digitally compromised audio.
You obviously never have heard good sound.
A child of the digital crap generation.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:34 pm

Maybe I missed it, but that absolute piece of crap "Believe" or whatever it was called from The Olympics should have been #1 on the worst tunes list.

It was bad enough that CTV played it constantly, even worse when radio picked up on it and played it non stop!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:32 pm

Ah but it was Crapcon and counted towards that government mandated crap quotient that's been dragging down radio for years.
If you're mandated to play 30, 40 or whatever per cent Canadian, almost anything recorded will eventually get played, no matter how bad it is.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:37 pm

Destro wrote:
Mike Cleaver wrote:Also with Awfultune to the max.

Hey Mike, its Autotune and to be honest, I don't think you know what it is.

Adam... you do come off as a misogynistic racist..... I didn't want to lol a couple times because of my PC sensibilities (but I did). Pearl necklace bit? loved it.

Welcome to the personality of "A Dose of Buckley" :-) You don't want to laugh... but everyone does eventually (or just gets really angry and writes a barely-english mini rant on my YouTube comments).

As for this year's rock... I considered Kings of Leon's "Radioactive" or a couple of their other songs (probably would have been #11 or #12 if I'd done a top 20 list, see my channel for the "Musical Autopsy" about the Kings of Leon). Weezer is intentionally fun and campy, you look at a song like "If you're wondering if I want you to (I want you to)", it's a fairly inoffensive (to the senses) song, a clear throwback to a more fun time but with a bit of an edgy spin on it. Escape the Fate sucks but all numetal (or new metal in general) sucks (aside from "System of a Down" or the relatively unknown "The Sword", a good metal band hasn't come out since the early 90's)... and it doesn't chart. With the exception of #10 on my list, all of those songs cracked the top 10 (or at least the top 40). A line has to be sort of drawn somewhere, I mean you know how many local indie bands released music this year too? I tried to keep it within the top 40 genre.
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby ThisIsNotCBC » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:43 pm

Buckley wrote:I don't know if this'll really hit the demographic of most of the members on this board, but regardless... I released my "Ten Worst Songs of 2010" video this week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE0HTC89VPQ

Please note: it's a tad vulgar, definitely NSFW or for watching around the kiddies.

Well, I'm definitely not surprised that Justin "I'm 16 and I STILL sound like I'm 12" Bieber made the list.

Mike Cleaver wrote:Oh I do know (and so do recording industry professionals, yes there still are some left) what Awfultune is.
It's designed to let anyone be a singer or instrumentalist by correcting all their off pitch goofs and covering up the fact they have no real talent or skills at playing an instrument.
We got along fine without it until a decade ago when it first showed up.
It sounds like crap, as does most digitally compromised audio.
You obviously never have heard good sound.
A child of the digital crap generation.

So that explains how Lady Weirdo...er, Gaga got to be so successful! :tail
ThisIsNotCBC
Advanced Member

Postby Destro » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:48 pm

ahhhhhhh, the Sword is so good right!
blog: http://morningaftershow.wordpress.com "A voice of reason amongst the doubters!" - Sandclan
Destro
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:37 am

Destro wrote:ahhhhhhh, the Sword is so good right!

I heard them for the first time when I first got Satellite radio (probably about 4 or 5 years ago now, ditched it a year ago because my drive to work is now 4 minutes long and I don't get reception in my apartment), and was blown away. Their lyrics are not quite my thing (I could do without all these metal bands being started by groups who clearly grew up playing a lot of Dungeons and Dragons), but the music is top tier stuff, vocals are fairly clear/audible opposed to all the screaming/grunting bands that keep coming out and giving metal a bad name in the mainstream, they're clearly very capable musicians rather than just playing as fast as they can hoping no one will notice they don't know what they're doing... yep, I'm a fan.
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:36 am

I'm generally a proud Canadian, but I'm pretty god damn embarrassed on the world stage when it comes to having to claim people like Justin Bieber or Celine Dion are one of us.

Cracker summed up the situation pretty good back in 1992. We need a another folk singer like we need another hole in the head, but we do need another Frank Sinatra.......damn, I'm still waiting for that new Frank Sinatra to emerge 18 years later:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TybFyhlwdvU
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:17 am

Dan Sys wrote:Cracker summed up the situation pretty good back in 1992. We need a another folk singer like we need another hole in the head.

Someone else once said (can't remember who): "If I Had a Hammer...there'd be a lot more folksingers with head-wounds".
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:05 am

Dan Sys wrote:I'm generally a proud Canadian, but I'm pretty god damn embarrassed on the world stage when it comes to having to claim people like Justin Bieber or Celine Dion are one of us.

Cracker summed up the situation pretty good back in 1992. We need a another folk singer like we need another hole in the head, but we do need another Frank Sinatra.......damn, I'm still waiting for that new Frank Sinatra to emerge 18 years later:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TybFyhlwdvU

Michael Buble not doin' it for you? That "I Just Haven't Met You Yet" song would have made a list in 2009 of terrible songs for sure.
Buckley
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to The Bitchin' Post