Shaw's constant advertising....

A place to post your bitch or rant about anything that's not radio related

Shaw's constant advertising....

Postby Mike Cleaver » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:09 pm

I only subscribe to Shaw's basic cable service these days.
But at a friend's house, watching a movie on AMC, I was amazed at the number of commercials for Shaw's various "services" during the commercial breaks.
I know they're covering the American spots but to have to pay a premium to watch these services and be subjected to constant Shaw propaganda is a bit much.
If they're going to force their customers to watch this crap, the least they could do is make a variety of spots instead of running the same two over and over and over again.
It's the same as going to watch a movie in a theatre.
You've already paid through the nose for the picture and the snacks and then they show you ads.
Also with DVDs you buy.
More ads for other movies.
Enough already!
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Re: Shaw's constant advertising....

Postby SKradiophile » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:31 pm

It's also doing its best to deplete the available amount of trees! Really a week doesn't go by when there isn't another mail offer for some Shaw service. I have a chance so switch to SaskTel Max here but just haven't got around to it. I think because Max is a crown corporation product, it will be more enivornmentally friendly but then again,maybe it will send mail twice a week!
SKradiophile
Advanced Member

Postby another dog » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:37 pm

Well said Mike. I agree 100%, I've done the same, and said the same words to myself.

We pay enough for their "services", only to watch more of the Shaw thing at movie breaks.

I have basic cable given to me with my rent, but pay for more "services", only to get

more of nothing but one channel I really enjoy...... TCM, and you can't order that as standalone.

A.D.
CKDJ RADIO P.D. ( 1967 ) for Metropolitan Burnaby
another dog
Advanced Member

Postby Muzik » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:22 pm

WOW...I thought it was just me that feels this way. In Saskatoon shaw is constantly overiding stopsets adding their own advertising. Like we get it already. Enough with the same promo's over and over again and on so many channels. How the CRTC allows this to happen is beyond me.When I watch CNN I pay for the entire product INCLUDING National commercials. I would sooner see expensive produced spots on that channel rather than Shaw inserts.The companies want me to see their stuff that's why they spend millions on marketing.
I just thought Saskatoon was the only saturated market with this happening.
Muzik
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:13 pm

The part that makes me laugh is why they feel the need to advertise to you when you're clearly already paying for the service (and not just basic cable)?

"Have you made the switch yet?" YES ALREADY! And if you don't keep asking me, I'll switch back!

I always get annoyed with the amount of Rogers commercials we have here. I'm already giving you like $140 a month, is that not enough?
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:26 pm

I know I've said I'll keep my big mouth shut and lurk, but I should offer this advice. I contacted Shaw some couple of months ago and asked them why, considering I have HD, do I have to pay for the lesser channels, namely those on basic. We do not watch the inane comedy shows on normal channels, in fact, watch barely anything but sports.....Fox Sports World Canada and Gol TV for soccer, and of course, Sportsnet, Sportsnet Vancouver, TSN, TSN2, etc. I was told I had to have basic, but could get rid of tiers one, two and three....I did, and saved $25.00 per month. I do have to pay $12 extra for HD plus, covering all the HD channels, but its worth it. I also have a PVR, home phone and internet high speed through Shaw...and get a hell of a good deal. I've checked out Telus....and sure, get a good deal for six months, then all hell breaks loose. I'm a Shaw guy..love their service and the company is approachable...tell them you are ready to quit, and you will get a good offer.

Hope this helps

John
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:30 pm

What does annoy me with Shaw, and any other Canadian commercial venture....if I am watching a program on CBS or ABC or NBC or whatever, and Canadian commercials come on when there are breaks. If I am paying for ABC or NBC, then dammit, I want ABC or NBC. There are so many satellites on homes in Abbotsford that are illegal or grey area deals......Direct TV for one....it really riles me up. It all boils down to one thing....protectionism....and I hate it.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:04 pm

It's the worst during the Superbowl. Even if I watch it on WUHF or WXYZ (Detroit and Buffalo stations) Shaw is still playing their own stuff and not the hilarious Ashley Madison commericals I am expecting.
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:07 pm

So start demanding that we Canadians don't need protecting...we're not a bunch of scaredy cats.....let's get it on...
as I said before.....Direct TV could be a challenge until the PC police are sticking their noses in.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:56 pm

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk.

Come on folks, after decades upon decades, you'd think the spark of freedom in broadcasting would have been snuffed out by now. Every now and then a thread like this shows up in a forum, indicating that despite a sophisticated program to stomp out the concept of free reception of signals which contain entertainment is still alive out there among a microscopic sized segment of the population. Not unlike guerilla fighters holed up in a cave in the mountains somewhere.

Starting in the Trudeau era, the CRTC has declared war on US programming as surely as if you were in East Germany, hoping to catch Radio Free Europe on your illegal radio hidden in the attic, that you listen to with headphones lest a neighbour hear something on a speaker and turn you in to the local member of "The Party."

I commented in the recent thread about HD Radio that a Canadian service on completely different frequencies than those in the USA must have been seen as a Godsend to some CRTC staffers of the day. I seem to remember that under the original broadcast plan by the year 2015, all AM and FM transmitters were scheduled to have been turned off and all signals to have migrated to HD. Both current frequency ranges occupied by AM and FM were to be no more in Canada.

I doubt that plan is on timetable (tongue in cheek.)

There are times that I feel like I'm doing something verboten by listening to some talk channels on satellite radio which would be banned in Canada.

So much for my freedom to choose. But that is an outmoded concept that would be shouted down by the Politically Correct crowd who would rather attend a flag burning in front of the US Consulate than watch the Super Bowl with US commercials.

But then, I'm an over-the-top "fear monger" right?

Anotherwpgguy
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Thankfully, there are at least two of us, unafraid of the U.S. TV commercials that may sway our minds.
I pay just about $185.00 per month to Shaw....putting all my eggs in one basket. TV, phone and internet. Yes, I want the goodies...HD channels, a couple of soccer channels, but that's it......I couldn't care less about the movie channels. In fact, I have never watched one since prior to the bloody Rogers days.....forgive me...Rogers was worse than Shaw for charging for service.....remember if you had two TV's, you paid for two outlets....thankfully, Shaw doesn't do that.

As I've said many times...I can't stand protectionism.....let me decide what I want to watch. If I'm watching ABC or NBC or CBS or Fox and a Canadian commercial comes on...I mute it right away. I demand to see an American channel if I'm paying for it!

We can get AlJezeera or whatever the hell it is....yet I can't get Sky Sports from Britain....I can get a Japanese station...yet I can't get a complete American station.

Bloody ridiculous!
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Paul P » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:37 pm

Has anyone been keeping track of how many times Sykes has said goodbye?

At least when glaherty went away, he kept his word. A stand up guy!
Being nice is my resolve - in 2012
Paul P
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:12 pm

It's actually four times Paul if you want to keep track.....if anyone wants to keep in touch from here on in...my email address is jsykes@shaw.ca

For a guy who hides behind his avatar.....let me say this once......nah...you're not worth it.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:13 pm

I just hope to God you're not Paul Preston.....I had a lot of respect for that guy when I worked with him and listened to him later.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Coolcat » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:14 pm

WheresFredTaylor wrote:It's the worst during the Superbowl. Even if I watch it on WUHF or WXYZ (Detroit and Buffalo stations) Shaw is still playing their own stuff and not the hilarious Ashley Madison commericals I am expecting.

Did anyone notice on the weekend how CTV was butchering the NFL playoff games. Whatever channel you watch will get subbed by CTV. The biggest joke is that there are not that many national ads on the telecast and TONS of CTV propaganda continuously advertising the same shows as well as the new suit and skirt that is hosting their six o clock news now.

It's unfortunate that the production value of the game is at a certain level and then drops to outhouse levels when you have to suffer through the same useless Canadian spots and promos.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Next

Return to The Bitchin' Post