What are the Grammys trying to achieve?

A place to post your bitch or rant about anything that's not radio related

What are the Grammys trying to achieve?

Postby Buckley » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:03 am

I really don't understand who the Grammys are supposed to appeal to. I mean, the show itself is clearly aimed towards fans of pop music, with a few performances thrown in for mom and dad just in case they have to share the TV when the show is on... but when it comes to the awards themselves, what is it they're trying to achieve? Are they giving awards to pop stars, or to indie groups or people generally closer to being considered true "artists" than the standard Billboard chart toppers? I comment on this in my latest "Dose of Buckley". See the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsWMpyVBD8c
Buckley
Advanced Member

Re: What are the Grammys trying to achieve?

Postby Paul P » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:32 am

You want a Best Bowling Song category?
Being nice is my resolve - in 2012
Paul P
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:29 am

My random musings on the Grammys last night:

1. 3 1/2 hour show...ouch! Even the Oscars are getting better about keeping it under 3 hrs.
2. Most outlandish costume award goes to: Cee Lo Green and his metal breast plate & flamingo feathers. Liberace was smiling upstairs!
3. WTF moment #1: Gwynnth Paltrow rolling and dancing on Cee Lo's piano.
4. And the Grammy for Best Performance of Simulated Sex by a Duo or Group (envelope please): Rihanna & Drake. Man, get a room! My flat screen was misting up over their dry-humping gyrations. :mousewalk
5. Congrats to Cee Lo Green for being the first artist to ever win a Grammy with a song title containing the F word.
6. Are Usher and Bieber connected at the hip? Or was this a deliberate ploy to throw cold water on the Beebs rumoured relationship with Selena Gomez who stayed miles away from him at the Staples Centre.
7. 2nd WTF moment: Lady Antebellum wins 5 Grammys?? Other than "Need You Now", I'm hard pressed to recall another hit they had.
8. Best "feel good" moment of the show: Bieber not winning a Grammy!!! :groovy:
9. Funniest moment at the Grammy's: Letterman's Top 10 List for the Grammy's: #1 was Beiber wears a hairpiece....then CBS cuts to a quick shot of a deer in the headlights-looking Bieber being informed by BFF Usher of the Letterman zinger he was just punk'd by.
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:15 am

I have made a life-long habit of avoiding watching the grammys, but since hearing the results is pretty much unavoidable, I was pleasantly surprised to learn of the significant album of the year award to Arcade Fire and as well enjoying a "ha-hah" moment with the upset in the best new artist category; jazz bassist Esperanza Spalding beating Beiber. Someone with true musicianship and musical skill getting the recognition they've earned and deserve; wow.
Personally, in the category of talented young female bass players who happen to be pretty, my personal preference would be for Australian born Tal Wilkenfeld, but since she's been shining since age 14, wouldn't technically qualify as all that new an artist.

"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby The Unknown Copywriter » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:10 am

I've considered the Grammys a dubious organization ever since Three Dog Night got screwed back in '72...
T.U.C.

"The present day composer refuses to die!"
Edgard Varese

"Kill ugly radio."
Frank Zappa
The Unknown Copywriter
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:56 am

crs wrote:9. Funniest moment at the Grammy's: Letterman's Top 10 List for the Grammy's: #1 was Beiber wears a hairpiece....then CBS cuts to a quick shot of a deer in the headlights-looking Bieber being informed by BFF Usher of the Letterman zinger he was just punk'd by.

He just had this look like "I don't get it, why is that Grandpa talking to me?", also the start of his performance with Usher was creepy as hell... "we met in a parking lot, and do you remember what I said?" "You said... if we meet again, it was meant to be". Why is Usher approaching young boys in parking lots? I think the police should be notified...
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby isthisthingon » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:58 pm

I'd say the Grammys achieved exactly what they wanted! Best-ever ratings from a well produced, fast-paced show with pretty good performances. I'm 61 and watched every minute - without any holier-than-thou bitching.
isthisthingon
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:09 pm

I thought Mick Jagger nailed it...
:glasses7:
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:58 pm

Steve Sanderson wrote:I thought Mick Jagger nailed it...

Yeah, Dylan too :-)
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:01 pm

Buckley wrote:

Any chance you chaps could share what Mick and Dylan had to say? I guess you're both assuming that everyone watched the show.

:cat2:
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby Paid2Play » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:44 pm

I think they can go as long as they want as long as they keep the pace going like they did last night. I liked that the awards were just brief interruptions to the performances.
Paid2Play

Postby Buckley » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:24 pm

kat wrote:
Buckley wrote:

Any chance you chaps could share what Mick and Dylan had to say? I guess you're both assuming that everyone watched the show.

I don't think anyone knows what Bob Dylan was saying... I only assessed that he was singing "Maggie's Farm" based on Mumford & Sons singing along with him. I don't know if Steve was being funny or not, but Mick Jagger has sounded like he looks for the last 20 years. I heard he's got a guest spot on "The Walking Dead" next year, he's just going to play himself without makeup.
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:49 pm

Buckley wrote:
kat wrote:

I don't think anyone knows what Bob Dylan was saying... I only assessed that he was singing "Maggie's Farm" based on Mumford & Sons singing along with him. I don't know if Steve was being funny or not, but Mick Jagger has sounded like he looks for the last 20 years. I heard he's got a guest spot on "The Walking Dead" next year, he's just going to play himself without makeup.

Actually ...I thought Mick did pretty good, prancing and strutting his stuff....For a senior citizen.
:groovy:
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Return to The Bitchin' Post