Stupid Parents with strollers.

A place to post your bitch or rant about anything that's not radio related

Stupid Parents with strollers.

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sun May 22, 2011 12:00 pm

Why is it that parents think they need to bring their toddlers in strollers to crowded public events?
And it's not just those one child models but many are pushing the SUV models for two or three.
Case in point, the Kitsilano Farmers Market, which opened for the season today.
I arrived just after it opened but already, a sea of strollers blocking access to the vendors and being aggressively pushed through the crowds.
What do the toddlers get out of this?
Another group thought it was ok to stand in the middle of the main aisle and have a yak-fest.
It simply pisses off the people who come to patronize the farmers trying to sell their products.
The market does have a free bike parking area so at least you don't have to contend with morons trying to push their bikes through the crowds.
The same thing is true at the Market on Granville Island.
The aisles are not particularly wide there but again, strollers everywhere being rammed through groups of people who actually are trying to buy things.
Add to that the tourists who simply come to gawk and take pictures and the vendors wonder why the buyers don't come anymore.
I hit GIM as soon as it opens as it's only a ten minute walk from where I live along with the local chefs who buy there and am long gone by the time the tourist army and stroller mafia arrive.
Which reminds me of my best ever stroller story.
In the last century, I was at the Harbourfront Antique Market in Toronto where merchants contents spill out into the aisles.
One had a large display of antique vases, some priced in the thousands of dollars.
Most had signs saying "If you break it, you've bought it."
One couple pushing a stroller with a particularly rambunctious brat ventured too near a shelf full of pots.
One was knocked to the floor by the child's flailing arms, smashing into a dozen pieces.
The vendor made the parents pay the $750 dollar price.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Re: Stupid Parents with strollers.

Postby Buckley » Sun May 22, 2011 12:08 pm

It's because parents with babies and young children believe they're entitled to do everything other people are allowed to do. It's the same with taking their little pain-in-the-asses to the movies so they can cry and ruin it for the rest of the families, or taking them to restaurants so they can do that really loud "shriek" thing that children do (my children will be told once, that if they do that again ,their voice boxes will be removed and not replaced until they're 20) and ruin other people's nights out. Dual parent households need to just have one stay home while the other shops, and also realize their social life is over until the kid is either at an age that they can look after themselves, or until they can afford a babysitter. I'm not sure why people believe that their children should equally burden everyone else as much as themselves, but I don't believe in the whole "it takes a village" nonsense... you were stupid enough to have them, you raise em yourself and in a manner that isn't going to affect my day.
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sun May 22, 2011 12:18 pm

Man, and I thought I was a grumpy old guy!
Pretty obvious neither of you have raised a family or know what's involved with kids when you don't have a nanny to dump them with.

Cleaver's complaining about families going to an open air market?
They were probably under the assumption that everyone was invited.
Get over it.
And Buckley ..... start acting your age.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby isthisthingon » Sun May 22, 2011 1:21 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:Man, and I thought I was a grumpy old guy!
Pretty obvious neither of you have raised a family or know what's involved with kids when you don't have a nanny to dump them with.

Cleaver's complaining about families going to an open air market?
They were probably under the assumption that everyone was invited.
Get over it.
And Buckley ..... start acting your age.

ABSOLUTELY!!!
isthisthingon
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Sun May 22, 2011 1:32 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:And Buckley ..... start acting your age.

If acting my age means acting like the 25-35 year-old "humans" of today's moronic society, then I'll pass.

My parents are considerate human beings who understood that your kids are YOUR kids to deal with, your own burden, and that the rest of society shouldn't have to be bothered by them. They didn't put strollers in the middle of aisles where everyone else is trying to walk so they could stop and have a conversation with the neighbours, they made sure I could sit at home and watch a movie without getting bored and wandering off or freaking out with the lights off before taking me to a theatre, they ordered take-out instead of taking me to a restaurant so I wouldn't annoy other people... these are all common sense things, you don't need to have raised a family to know that some people who have children are inconsiderate morons, who think everyone else should adore their annoying brats as much as they do.
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby The Unknown Copywriter » Sun May 22, 2011 3:30 pm

This planet has its fair share of incompetent drivers, pilots, walkers, joggers, cyclists, skateboarders, and parents with strollers.

As a current parent with stroller, it's not fair to lump us all into one group. Chances are, these are the same people who walk down the wrong side of the sidewalk while venturing solo.

Yes, some parents with strollers do stupid things.

As for keping us out of public places, uh...wuzzup with that? Are we supposed to lock ourselves in our homes till our kids graduate from high school?

Leave them home? I beleve there's a section of the Criminal Code that states...
T.U.C.

"The present day composer refuses to die!"
Edgard Varese

"Kill ugly radio."
Frank Zappa
The Unknown Copywriter
Advanced Member

Postby The Unknown Copywriter » Sun May 22, 2011 3:37 pm

Let me further clarify something.

If your kids can't handle themselves in public, hey...I don't wanna see then either.

If they can handle themselves, no problem.

Problem is, too many parents are afraid to discipline, or don't care when things go sideways.
T.U.C.

"The present day composer refuses to die!"
Edgard Varese

"Kill ugly radio."
Frank Zappa
The Unknown Copywriter
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sun May 22, 2011 4:10 pm

I did my "kid thing" in the '70s and '80s but no strollers were involved.
They were raised to be quiet and polite whenever they were out.
Today, it's the "mememememememe" generation where anything goes.
The hell with anybody else, I'm going to do what I want, when I want to and the rest be damned.
It was a mixed crowd at the market, young and old, families and singles, almost everyone well behaved and patient.
But you could see the looks the "stroller mommies and daddies" were getting from those not included in the group.
Being hit in the back of the heels with a stroller when you're wearing sandals isn't fun.
Nor is trying to get around one of those three child behemoths to pay for your tomatoes much fun for you or the merchant.
If you must bring toddlers to crowded spaces, use one of those back or front packs.
A little consideration for others goes a long way.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun May 22, 2011 4:25 pm

As us single guy get older - lets think about the importance of :pottytrain2: reproduction. We need kids, we need more students, we need more families.

The me me me generation is us - our generation is the group that gives children everything they want including the attitude.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to The Bitchin' Post