Broadcast History - February 9

Broadcast History - February 9

Postby jon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:01 pm

In 1961, CKBI-TV Prince Albert opened its first rebroadcast transmitter. In North Battleford.

In 1962, today was a Friday, and just after 1:00 p.m., I first heard Dave McCormick count down the C-FUNtastic 50. I was hooked, on my first listen, to Top 40 Radio. Dave left for Fresno about three months later, to work for Ron Jacobs at KMAK. After a tough head-to-head battle with KYNO, they joined forces with Bill Drake at KYNO to build what would become Boss Radio formatics. Dave had met Ron after hearing his show on Hawaiian radio, while driving home from CFUN late at night. February 9th has since acquired other meanings in my life: my father-in-law's birthday; the day I was engaged to be married; and the day my (first) redesign of the Edmonton Broadcasters Club web site debuted. But I still remember the first meaning of the day: you can see the chart I heard Dave counting down in today's Chart History. Note how early some of the songs charted, when compared to Billboard's Hot 100. #2, for example, didn't even enter the Billboard Hot 100 until March 3rd, going to #1 April 7th; it was #1 on CFUN Feb. 16th.

In 1994, on Chinese New Year's Eve, CHMB Vancouver signed on as a second multlingual station after CJVB. CHUM had chosen to sell CHQM-AM, which became CHMB, rather than CFUN, when they purchased CHQM AM & FM in 1990.

In 2001, CKGY Red Deer was approved for an AM to FM flip. On 95.5 MHz with 100,000 watts. The format continued the Country music when the FM signed on May 1st of the same year. Newcap purchased the station from Newcap in 2005.

jon
Advanced Member

Return to Today in Broadcast History