Broadcast History - May 3

Broadcast History - May 3

Postby jon » Wed May 02, 2018 9:48 pm

In 1978, CJDV-910 in Drumheller (Alberta) was approved for a power increase from 5000 to 10,000 watts. There has been a steady set of power increases from the station's inception in 1958 with 1000 watts, until the 50,000 watt approval in 1985, where the station remains today owned by NewCap and branded as CFCW-910, despite having the call letters CKDQ.

Image

In 1999, the CRTC held a public hearing in Vancouver to discuss the Shaw takeover of Western International Communication Ltd. (WIC), including the fact that CRTC approval was received AFTER the change in ownership, rather than BEFORE. The hearing also examined applications from a number of B.C. AM stations, all wanting to switch to FM: CKAY in Duncan, CKXM Victoria, CJVI Victoria and CKBL Kelowna. CBUF-FM Vancouver requested a 1700 watt FM (repeater) transmitter in Victoria. And there was a proposal for a 50 watt FM station in Tofino.

In 2006, CJKC-FM in Kamloops (B.C.) began transmitter testing on 103.1 MHz with 5000 watts. They were approved nearly a year earlier, but official sign-on did not occur until 1:03 p.m. on Friday, August 11, 2006. Owner NL Broadcasting also owned CHNL and CKRV-FM.

Image
User avatar
jon
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 9174
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 10:15 am
Location: Edmonton

Return to Today in Broadcast History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest