Broadcast History - May 10

Broadcast History - May 10

Postby jon » Wed May 09, 2018 9:20 pm

In 1938, Canada's Radio Act replaces the 1913 Radiotelegraph Act. In anticipation of World War II, its key provision allows radio censorship in the event of "war, rebellion, riot or other emergency".

In 2004, CKRW-610 Whitehorse was approved for a move to FM, but with a difference. The AM transmitter would remain, to provide simulcast coverage where the 380 watt FM transmitter would not reach. The existing FM rebroadcasters in Watson Lake, Teslin, Haines Junction, Faro, Mayo, Carmacks and Dawson City remain. On January 31, 2007, additional FM rebroadcasters were authorized for Atlin (B.C.) and Inuvik (N.W.T.). CKRW first signed on in November 1969, the first commercial station "North of 60" (Yukon, NWT and what later became Nunavut).

Image
User avatar
jon
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 9195
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 10:15 am
Location: Edmonton

Return to Today in Broadcast History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron