Broadcast History - June 5

Broadcast History - June 5

Postby jon » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:29 pm

In 1933, CKY Winnipeg moved to 910 KHz. The station had originally signed on March 13, 1923, after owner Manitoba Government Telephones was given exclusive rights by the federal government, to control all radio broadcasting in Manitoba. At the same time, CJGC and CJNC were shut down, having both launched in 1922 by the Winnipeg Free Press and Winnipeg Tribune newspapers. On July 1, 1948, the CBC bought CKY from Manitoba Government Telephones, after Minister C.D. Howe announced that the federal government had decided that provincial governments cannot own radio stations. CKY became CBW on September 3, 1948 with a new 50,000 watt transmitter site, but remaining on 990 KHz where CKY had landed after the Big Frequency Shuffle of 1941. Lloyd Moffat revived the CKY call letters on December 31, 1949, when he signed on with 5000 watts day and 1000 watts night on 580 KHz in Winnipeg. Lloyd passed away in 1964 and CKY switched to FM on January 21, 2004.

Image

In 1963, both private and public television broadcasters in Canada joined together in a press release expressing their fear of cable television systems being linked together, portraying it as another national television network that would unfairly compete with them. The Canadian government reacted by banning cable operators from carrying U.S. television signals until July 1964, and introducing amendments to the Broadcasting Act to regulate cable television.

In 1973, a 73 year old Gordon Sinclair wrote and broadcast the words to one of the most popular spoken-word recordings of all time: "The Americans". Originally just a script for his five minute daily 11:45 a.m. "Let's Be Personal" program on CFRB-1010 in Toronto, the station's phones began ringing even before he finished the broadcast. It was Gordon's reaction to the U.S.-bashing that had reached a fever pitch around the world, much of it triggered by the aftermath of the U.S. pullout from the Vietnam War. Versions of "The Americans" by CKLW News Director Byron MacGregor, Country singer Tex Ritter and Gordon himself hit Billboard charts in 1974. Additional background can be found at http://www.broadcasting-history.ca/in-depth/americans

In 1977, DJ Charlie Van Dyke did his last show on KHJ-AM, Los Angeles.

Image

In 1982, CISN-FM Edmonton signed on with 100,000 watts on 103.9 MHz as "Kissin' Country". Former CHED DJ Bob McCord had initially applied for a rock station in 1978 called CKIS, but was turned down. Despite heavy competition for new FM stations in Edmonton, Bob was granted a license on October 29, 1981. It was an uphill battle against incumbent CFCW and CJAX-FM signed on two months later, but CISN is a solid ratings leader today, focusing on Contemporary Country. Bob McCord sold CISN to Shaw on May 27, 1988, but remained President of the station. Today, Shaw's Corus division owns four stations in Edmonton: CISN-FM, CKNG-FM (formerly CJAX-FM), CHQT-AM and CHED-AM.

Image

In 1982, DJ Cousin Brucie (Morrow) returned to New York City Radio on WCBS-FM.

In 2001, the CRTC announced a large number of B.C. decisions, as indicated below. These decisions resulted, in part, from a Public Hearing held in the Hilton Vancouver Metrotown on November 20, 2000.

In 2001, Aboriginal Voices Radio (AVR) received CRTC approval for an FM station in Vancouver. But it was 2007 before CKAV-FM-2 began simulcasting CKAV-FM Toronto. On 106.3 MHz with 9000 watts peak.

In 2001, SFU's CJSF-FM was approved, but had to find a new frequency from the one proposed (90.9 MHz). The station signed on at 7 p.m. on February 14, 2003, on 90.1 MHz with 450 watts from a transmitter located on campus on top of Burnaby Mountain. The station began as CKSF shortly after the SFU campus opened in the mid-1960s, initially closed circuit, with speakers across campus, including the swimming pool. The first studios were in a windowless concrete air-raid shelter on the second floor next to the Rotunda, and equipment was castoffs from radio stations in Vancouver. Still in High School, I arrived on Hallowe'en 1969, getting my first taste of professional equipment, after debuting on-air at a 5 watt pirate station in Surrey: CFAY-AM on 1357.25 KHz.

In 2001, CFSR-850 Abbotsford was approved by the CRTC to move to FM, with 215 watts on 107.1 MHz. The station had originally signed on August 20, 1962, as CFVR-1240, with 250 watts, with five hours daily of local programming; the rest was simulcast from CHWK-1270 Chilliwack. But its best years began following the 5 p.m. News on June 25, 1994, when Radio Max debuted with new call letters, CKMA, playing Top 40 hits from 1955 to 1980. And Robert O. Smith heard both live and voice-tracked on the weekend. On September 8, 1997, CHWK and CKGO Hope joined Radio Max in a network that was not technically simulcast. Most of the programming was identical, but the differing lengths of local commercials and announcements meant the individual stations could drift up to two minutes apart.

Image

In 2001, CKEG-1570 Nanaimo was approved to switch to FM, on 106.9 MHz with 1600 watts. The station first signed on 1350 KHz with 10,000 watts on July 1, 1981, taking over CHUB's 1570 KHz frequency in 1994, after CHUB moved to FM. CKEG is now CHWF-FM, and is owned by Jim Pattison.

In 2001, The Beat Vancouver was approved on 94.5 MHz with 46,000 watts from a Mount Seymour transmitter site. Two transmitter relocations were approved within the next year by the CRTC, all still on Mount Seymour. The CFBT-FM call letters were assigned in November 2001. The station began testing on February 15, 2002, with official startup on March 4th.

In 2001, CBUX Vancouver was approved to add an FM transmitter to simulcast its previously approved Mount Seymour and Burnaby digital transmitters on 1459.792 MHz. Part of the CBC's French language stereo service, "la Chaine culturelle", the programming was fed from CBFX-FM Montreal. On May 7, 2002, a frequency of 90.9 MHz was assigned, with 287 watts, later increased to 1280 watts (approved July 24, 2003). The station signed on on September 5th at 6 a.m. A Victoria repeater on 88.9 MHz was added on October 7, 2003.

In 2006, at 7:30 a.m., CHMJ-730 Vancouver began its "mostly" Traffic format. The station originally signed on as CKLG on February 3, 1955, with 1000 watts on 1070 KHz, from a North Vancouver transmitter site with very poor ground conductivity. Unless they lived right next door, what few listeners the station had at the time suddenly found themselves listening to 50,000 watt clear channel KNX from Los Angeles around sunset each day. A 1957 switch to 730 KHz, 10,000 watts and a Delta transmitter site -- south of Vancouver with excellent ground conductivity -- suddenly gave CKLG a great signal. And caught the eye of Lloyd Moffat, who purchased the station in 1961. His unexpected death in 1964 left his young son Randy with stations spread across Western Canada, most of which he quickly switched to Top 40, which Lloyd had originally pioneered at CHED Edmonton in 1957.

Image
User avatar
jon
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 9206
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 10:15 am
Location: Edmonton

Return to Today in Broadcast History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests