Broadcast History - June 11

Broadcast History - June 11

Postby jon » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:37 pm

In 1972, KPAT-AM, Berkeley, California reverted to its original KRE call letters. The KRE call letters were originally assigned to the side-wheeler steamship "Bay State", which ran aground in Portland, Maine, and was damaged beyond repair on September 23, 1916. Naval superstition prevented the call letters from being reassigned to another vessel, so they were free to be assigned to a radio station operated out of a small radio store that began broadcasting on March 11, 1922. KRE-FM signed on February 14, 1949, simulcasting KRE-AM on 102.9 MHz. Stereo broadcasting began in 1957 with one channel on AM and the other on FM, until the FCC permitted FM multiplexing in 1959. The stations had switched call letters to KPAT AM & FM at noon on April 29, 1963, when new owners Wright Broadcasting Company wanted to clone their successful New York area station, WPAT. A history of the station was published in Performing Arts magazine in November 1972, around the time that the station's studios were used for filming Wolfman Jack "on the air" in American Graffiti, and can be viewed at http://www.theradiohistorian.org/kre.htm

Image

In 1976, "Catch a Rising Star" ended a 6 week Friday night run on CBC television. It was Tommy Hunter's precursor to Canadian Idol, showcasing up and coming Canadian singers.

In 1985, WJW-AM, Cleveland, Ohio changed its call letters to WRMR-AM. In 1951, the pioneer DJ of Rock and Roll, Alan Freed, joined WJW. It was there that he first created his Moon Dog show. And gained the attention of WINS New York, who hired him in 1954.

In 1996, CFNB-550 Fredericton (New Brunswick) signed off the air for the last time and was replaced by 100,000 watt CIBX-FM on 106.9 MHz. The station began as 10AD on January 12, 1923 with 10 watts on 250 meters. It operated out of the home of James Stewart Neill on Waterloo Row, then the most prestigious residential area in the capital city (it was still a nice area, but had seen better days when I spent a summer there in 1987). Two wooden towers were constructed on the roof of the University of New Brunswick's Forestry building for a new transmitter, and the station gained a regular broadcasting license as CFNB (FNB = "Fredericton, New Brunswick") in 1926 on 1210 KHz with 25 watts. By 1934, the station already had 500 watts when it moved to 550 KHz, where it would remain until it moved to FM in 1996. In 1936, CFNB became the first CBC affiliate in the Maritimes. In October 1959, two 303 foot towers supported an increase to 50,000 watts with different directional patterns day and night.

Image
User avatar
jon
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 9204
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 10:15 am
Location: Edmonton

Return to Today in Broadcast History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests