Broadcast History - July 12

Broadcast History - July 12

Postby jon » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:43 pm

In 1922, CFCA Toronto had its Grand Opening, broadcasting on 400 metres using a Canadian Independent Telephone Company (CITCo) 2000 watt transmitter, feeding a 200 foot five-wire flat-top T antenna between two 80 foot reinforced steel towers on the roof of station owner The Toronto Daily Star's building. The station began broadcasting experimentally in 1921 as 3EC, but signed off forever on September 1, 1933, after its owner became convinced the federal government was about to create a broadcast monopoly and take over private stations. Foster Hewitt called his first play-by-play hockey broadcast on the station on February 16, 1923.

In 1923, CKAC Montreal did the first live broadcast of a musical, the operetta Les cloches de Corneville, with 25 musicians in the orchestra and 38 singers and soloists in the choir. In April 1922, CKAC was issued one of the original commercial radio licenses in Canada. Others included CFCF and CHYC (Northern Electric). Less than a month later, on May 2, 1922, CKAC owner La Presse (newspaper) created what it claimed was the most powerful radio station in the Americas: 2000 watts on 430 metres. Today, the station runs an all sports format.

In 1958, CHUM Toronto increased daytime power to 5000 watts. Night power remained at 2500 watts.

Image

In 1970, CFAC-960 Calgary was approved for a power increase from 10,000 to 50,000 watts using a new transmitter site South of Chestermere Lake with three towers. The station began on May 2, 1922, as CQCA with 10 watts on 400 metres from a 210 foot tower, and was owned by The Calgary Daily Herald. A week later, the call letters were changed to CHCQ. Hours of operation were an hour each afternoon and evening starting at 3:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. Programming was mainly live music, records and player piano rolls. On August 26th, the call letters were changed to CFAC, the frequency to 430 metres and the power increased to 2,000 watts (according to The Herald, but other sources claim 200 watts). Many changes were to follow, but the call letters have remained the same, making them one of the longest continuous usages of call letters in Canada. Today CFAC is owned by Rogers, running an all-sports format as Sportsnet 960 The Fan, affiliated with Sportsnet 590 The Fan in Toronto.

In 1987, CBDU-AM Lynn Lake and CBWG-AM Gillam (both in Manitoba) were approved to switch to FM on 95.1 MHz with 45 watts and 99.9 watts with 54 watts, respectively. The stations were repeaters for CBW-AM in Winnipeg. CBW began on March 13, 1923, as CKY, owned by Manitoba Government Telephones. Beginning March 27, 1924, CKY began leasing some of its air time to the Canadian National Railway (CNR), which used the call letters CNRW during their programming. CKY was sold to the CBC on July 1, 1948. The CKY call letters were then assigned to Lloyd Moffat when he applied for them for his new Winnipeg station that signed on December 31, 1949.

In 1998 at noon, CKGM-990 Montreal returned to the air with a new Oldies format, after giving up its transmitter to CJAD which had lost all four of its transmitting towers in a January ice storm. CKGM first signed on December 7, 1959, on 980 KHz with 10,000 watts. An FM was added in 1963 while the AM became one of Montreal's great Top 40 stations through the entire 1970s, celebrated here: http://www.marcdenis.com/ckgm.asp. In September 1990, the station moved to 990 KHz, with 50,000 watts and a new stereo transmitter. In fact, the change had been approved on July 18, 1983!

Image
User avatar
jon
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 9208
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 9:15 am
Location: Edmonton

Return to Today in Broadcast History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests