Broadcast History - July 18

Broadcast History - July 18

Postby jon » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:29 pm

In 1923, CFQC Saskatoon signed on 400 metres with 200 watts of power, initially co-owned by The Electric Shop Ltd., who gained total control in February 1932. Today the station is on FM at 92.9 MHz with 100,000 watts, moving to FM in 1995, just months after emerging from receivership when purchased by CJWW in 1994.

Image

In 1969, CHAB Ltd. had its application rejected to sell CHAB-TV Moose Jaw and CHRE-TV Regina to Western Broadcast Management. In 1968, the CRTC had given Moffat Broadcasting one year to sell the television stations or have their licenses cancelled. On this day in 1969, the CRTC forced their sale to the CBC. On September 3, 1969, CHAB-TV became CBKMT and CHRE-TV became CBKRT. On July 31, 1978, the call letters became CBKT Regina and CBKT-1 Moose Jaw.

Also in 1969, CHFI-680 Toronto increased daytime power to 2500 watts from 1000 watts. Ted Rogers then paid CHLO St. Thomas to move from 680 to 1570 KHz on February 14, 1970, and on March 25th, the CRTC approved CHFI-AM's power increase to 10,000 watts day and 25,000 watts night. To honour what would have been Ted's father's 71st birthday, the call letters were changed to CFTR on June 21, 1971, the TR=Ted Rogers (Sr.). Early in 1972, CFTR stopped simulcasting CHFI-FM's background music and became Top 40. CHFI-FM had signed on CHFI-AM on August 8, 1962, daytime only with 50,000 watts on 1540 KHz. Until 1972, the AM had been totally simulcast with CHFI-FM.

Image

In 1973, CJAT-AM Trail was authorized by the CRTC to increase its daytime power from 1000 to 10,000 watts, requiring a directional pattern. CJAT first received an experimental license in 1931 as 10AT, signing on Christmas Day for the first time. Within two years, they had a commercial license, were assigned the CJAT call letters, bought a 100 watt transmitter and broadcast with their licensed 50 watts on 1200 KHz. In the great frequency change of 1941, CJAT moved to 610 KHz with the 1000 watts they had been approved for in 1936. And remained there until their switch to 95.7 MHz on FM on May 30, 1994 with 13,500 watts, after being forced to vacate their AM transmitter site. CJAT-FM had existed from 1968 until the CBC purchased the station in 1975. CJAT was locally owned until mid-1972, when it was purchased by CKEK Cranbrook; some simulcasting was done using the cable FM feed of CJAT-FM into Cranbrook.

Image

In 1975, CKVU-TV was licensed as Vancouver's third television station. The application to the CRTC for either Channel 10 or 26 was made by a consortium of nearly 50 Vancouver businessmen, with majority control (55%) by TV producer Daryl Duke, writer Norman Klenman and lawyer Gordon Lyall. But local ownership did not last long, as financial woes forced selling of stock and acquiring of loans from some of the unsuccessful applicants for the original license. It all ended in a messy court battle that saw CanWest own 100% of CKVU by 1988. The station had originally signed on September 1, 1976, after requesting a change in Channel and power to 880,000 watts on Channel 21.
User avatar
jon
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 9211
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 9:15 am
Location: Edmonton

Return to Today in Broadcast History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests