Canadian Radio News for March, 2013

Canadian Radio News for March, 2013

Postby Dan Sys » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:25 am

CANADIAN RADIO NEWS

For MARCH, 2013

APRIL 1, 2013

RADIO ACTIVITY

FORMAT CHANGES
BC Kelowna 103.9 CJUI From Classic Hits-Variety Hits to Oldies-Classic Hits (remains The Juice)
NB Fredericton 92.3 CFRK From Classic Hits (Fred FM) to CHR (Hot 92.3)
NS Antigonish 98.9 CJFX From Hot AC-Classic Hits (as XFM) to Oldies-Classic Hits (The Nish) (includes CJFX-1 102.5
Inverness and CJFX-2 102.5 Pleasant Bay)

CALL LETTER DATA
QC Val-de-Lacs 106.5 new Will become CHVL

TECHNICAL CHANGES ON THE AIR
QC Montreal 1410 CJWI Moved from 1610 and increased power from 1,000 watts (fulltime) to 10,000 watts (fulltime)

CRTC & IC DECISIONS

NEW STATIONS GRANTED
QC Val-de-Lacs 106.5 5 watts (Community - Developmental) (French) (Radio Vallacquoise Incorporated)
QC Weedon 98.5 1 watt (Religious) (French) (limited operation) (Fabrique de la Paroisse de Saint-Gérard)

AM TO FM CONVERSIONS GRANTED
MB Winnipeg 1050 CKSB Move to 88.1 with 100,000 watts

PARTIAL AM TO FM CONVERSIONS GRANTED
MB Flin Flon 590 CFAR Move to 102.9 with 191 watts (CFAR 590 will remain on the air as a nested repeater)
MB The Pas 1240 CJAR Move to 102.9 with 250 watts (CJAR 1240 will remain on the air as a nested repeater)
MB Thompson 610 CHTM Move to 102.9 with 190 watts (CHTM 610 will remain on the air as a nested repeater)

TECHNICAL CHANGES GRANTED
ON Collingwood new CFMO-cp Will operate on 102.9 with 9,370 watts (23,000 watts Max. ERP). Previously granted but applied frequency of 104.9 was not available
ON Georgina Island 102.7 CFGI Move to 92.3, increase power from 250 to 650 watts, and raise antenna height

GOING OFF THE AIR
MB Winnipeg 90.5 CKSB-10 Nested repeater for CKSB 1050 in Winnipeg will go dark when AM to FM conversion for CKSB occurs from 1050 to 88.1

CHANGES TO SPECIALTY LICENSES GRANTED
AB Edmonton 101.7 CKER Reduce number of targeted Ethnic groups in overall programming from 19 to 12

DENIALS
NS Halifax 103.5 CKHZ Decrease Canadian content from 40 to 35% between 6AM-6PM Monday to Friday
ON Ottawa 98.5 CJWL Exemption from the Hits Policy (a regulation that states that less than 50% of all on-air musical selections shall be considered hits) (unique to the Ottawa-Gatineau and Montreal markets)
QC Montreal 91.9 CKLX Convert specialty license format from Jazz and Blues to Talk (issues of non-compliance were
cited as the main reason for the rejection)

CRTC APPLICATIONS

PROPOSED NEW STATIONS
AB Banff 107.9 180 watts (500 watts Max. ERP) (Triple A) (The Banff Centre) (calls will be CJXB)
BC Creston 106.1 1,100 watts (2,800 watts Max. ERP) (Hot AC) (Vista) (will be branded as The Bridge)
BC Wells 92.5 2.25 watts (Developmental Community Station) (Wells Community Radio Association)
NS Windsor 99.3 30 watts (50 watts Max. ERP) (Country; Variety) (D&K Communications) (calls will be CKWI)

PROPOSED TECHNICAL CHANGES
BC Prince George 93.1 CFIS Increase power from 5 watts to 494 watts, lower antenna height, and upgrade status from a developmental community station to a regular community station
NB Fredericton 96.5 CIXN Increase power from 27 to 250 watts

PROPOSED OWNERSHIP CHANGES
AB Banff 101.1 CFPE From The Friends of Banff National Park Fellowship to The Banff Centre
AB Banff 103.3 CFPF From The Friends of Banff National Park Fellowship to The Banff Centre
ON Ottawa 99.7 CJOT From Astral Media to Corus Entertainment
ON Ottawa 106.9 CKQB From Astral Media to Corus Entertainment

PROPOSED CHANGES TO SPECIALTY LICENSES
AB Calgary 97.7 CHUP Remove requirement that 30% of all musical selections must be folk or folk oriented

APPLICATIONS TEMPORARILY WITHDRAWN
ON Prince Edward County 92.9 new 3,000 watts (Community) (Prince Edward County Radio Corporation)
QC Montreal 102.9 new 31 watts (50 watts Max. ERP) (Tamil/South Asian) (AGNI Communications)

CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
BC Vancouver The CRTC has issued a Call For Applications for Vancouver after receiving an application from
South Fraser Broadcasting for a new English language commercial FM station in the Vancouver suburb of Surrey (no details regarding this proposed station have been released yet)

Next update May 1, 2013
Send tips to sysdan@gmail.com
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Re: Canadian Radio News for March, 2013

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Greetings,
Thanks Dan for another very interesting list of CRTC decisions and changes. I will really be watching that application for Surrey and the rest of the call for new ones in Vancouver. Just as an interesting note on new stations I have had a chance to listen to CIDG FM Dawg FM on 101.9 Ottawa on my wi-fi radio. In the Cobourg area of Ontario you cannot not normally get them over the air. However my point was that Torres Media that owns Dawg FM with its very unique Blues Format called Rockin The Blues is doing an excellent job with that format and jingles. Really have enjoyed all the music, jingles etc. overnight. I seem to remember Torres Media applying for a couple other stations but did not get approval as other applicants got the new stations instead. I am wondering if they might apply for Vancouver with the upcoming application call. Torres Media is an independent company offering a unique radio format in Canada and I think it would really add to selection on the radio dial out there if they did get a station for Vancouver. They seem to be doing an excellent job in Ottawa playing a wide range of Blues selections and some rock with few repeats over a 6 hour listening period. Good local information too!

That Surrey application sure has me wondering. Dan if you can find out how this new company got the old South Fraser Broadcasting name I would be most interested in knowing that and when. It definitely has nothing to do with the old company that started CISL 940/650 with Michael Dickinson.

73s All the Best, Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Re: Canadian Radio News for March, 2013

Postby Aaron » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:51 pm

DAWG is neat, but there are times where they literally have a 0.0 share. It would be interesting if they scaled the idea up to a national multi-platform service. It's small niche, but it could work with a wider net.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Return to CRTC News