Shaw preparing to launch new mobility network?

Shaw preparing to launch new mobility network?

Postby kal » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:34 am

Based on new trademark registrations it looks like this could be the case. It's possible that the Freedom brand will become a sub-brand, much like say Koodo.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/09/21/shaw-registers-shaw-mobile-shaw-mobility-shaw-wireless-trademarks/?utm_content=bufferf6fc2&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
kal
Advanced Member

Re: Shaw preparing to launch new mobility network?

Postby jon » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:16 am

Here is TD's take on it:
These trademark filings could be a signal that Shaw is getting ready to ramp up efforts
to more aggressively load subs. We expect a meaningful increase in advertising,
distribution, and equipment subsidies by Shaw/Freedom by next summer when low
band spectrum is deployed, but we could see some interim steps (including more
distribution) as early as November so that Shaw can be ready to compete harder
during the promotional Christmas holiday season. LTE is done and the handset
line-up is much improved, so it makes sense that Shaw would consider more of a
marketing push soon, including using its own brand name. However, we are not sure
if the Shaw brand will be used in Ontario at first, or just in Alberta and BC w[h]ere most
of Shaw's wireline footprint is located.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:58 pm

I suspect the latter. Freedom is clearly gaining traction. The mall kiosks and store fronts are nearly always busy, with lineups. Mind you, not the lineups you see at the Fido outlets.

BTW, if anyone is after the LG V30, generally regarded as one of the top flagship phones, should be landing in Canada, and at Freedom, within a week.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:40 am

This sounds good. Will this be on the island ?
PMC

Postby jon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:50 pm

Yes, but I'm not sure when. Freedom Mobile shows no coverage in your area right now.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:51 pm

The problem is...they'll only gain share in the big cities until they build out their cellphone tower infrastructure.

I think the CRTC has got to do one of two things:
1. Order the Bell/Telus tower sharing alliance (now I see why it was opposed back when BCE's buy of Telus was blocked! I thought Bell was still going to expand their tower network out west!) broken up, forcing each to massively build out towers in each other's jurisdiction; or,
2. Order other Bell and Telus to share their networks with other providers in markets where they are the sole tower owner (i.e., only tower competitor besides them is Rogers, for instance) and wholesale costs substantially below where they are now.

Also, why would anyone use a "family plan"? They're the worst deal ever...they still charge you the same as they do for the first person the plan, they just let you share you data, basically. I looked into it but, unless you need a lot of data, which typically you don't with the free wifi hotspots, prepaid plans are much, much cheaper, especially if you add an auto-renewing voice/messaging plan.

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Return to CRTC News