Any info?

Any info?

Postby johnsykes » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:52 am

Dan, I pass a radio station antenna site quite often...it's located on Vye Road in Abbotsford. Four towers. Is it the unused CFVR antenna or has someone else taken it over?
Cheers
Sykes
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:11 pm

Yeah, it's the old CFVR/CKMA antenna site. When the station flipped to FM Rogers was prepared to donate those facilities to AVR who had originally planned to simulcast CKAV 106.3 Vancouver on 850 in Abbotsford. There still is an active construction permit for AVR to get 850 going, but I've read several reports that say AVR has shelved those plans. Don't know who currently owns the site or the fate of the towers, but they're probably destined for the scrapyard.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:10 pm

No idea why, but some old towers seem to have a life of their own.

As an odd coincidence, CHMG-AM-1200's move to CFMG-FM-104.7 is covered briefly in Today in History. And yesterday, I actually finally got to see the three tower 1200 KHz tower array. It's still there, despite being last used in 1994 -- that's 14 years ago! -- and are very obviously in clean working order. 170 Street and 36 Avenue SW in Edmonton -- that's 27 blocks South of Ellerslie Road.

From that location, you'd miss out on a lot of current and future population with any "no power to the South" pattern that had anything but a very tight Null to the South.

On the other hand, CFRN-AM is due West of where I live, but has a less drastic Null to the South at night (non-directional Days), so undoubtedly is even heard well in Leduc at night.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to CRTC News