No more CFVR towers

No more CFVR towers

Postby johnsykes » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:37 pm

Dan, thought you should know....a couple of months ago, the CFVR towers were removed from Vye Road in Abbotsford.....SAD!!!
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Re: No more CFVR towers

Postby cart_machine » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:11 pm

johnsykes wrote:Dan, thought you should know....a couple of months ago, the CFVR towers were removed from Vye Road in Abbotsford.....SAD!!!

What were they doing there? They used to be on Matsqui Prairie off the Mission Highway not far from the slough winding toward Bateman Road.

The only time I remember they broadcast from the shack was during a power failure at the Allwood Studios. Dave Biro got dispatched there and was reading news. Lord knows where he got it from.

As there hasn't been a CFVR in ages, there's not much use for a transmitter.

cArtie
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:32 pm

cart_machine wrote:
johnsykes wrote:Dan, thought you should know....a couple of months ago, the CFVR towers were removed from Vye Road in Abbotsford.....SAD!!!

What were they doing there? They used to be on Matsqui Prairie off the Mission Highway not far from the slough winding toward Bateman Road.

cArtie:

They've been there since 1977 when CFVR moved to 850.

I wonder if Rogers actually removed them or if some of the local "thugs" made off with the towers and the copper radials and then sold them off as scrap at one of the many above board scrap dealers in Abby?
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Towers

Postby johnsykes » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:10 pm

I wouldn't be surprised.....I have to keep my car keys close to my vest out here.....

True story....I, being a member of the Abbotsford Police Citizens Patrol, called in a drug deal rigt in front of our building a couple of months ago.....yesterday, I had to call 911 to save the building across from us...a fire on the same guy's balcony......five more minutes, there would be 68 units out of use for many months.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:06 am

radiofan wrote:They've been there since 1977 when CFVR moved to 850.

RF, how should I know? I was busy in '77 getting fired at CJJC. You remember that. (Do you remember who replaced me? Bob Dawson replaced Norm Mazuren just before I left.)

I honestly had no idea they moved that early. The few times I go out there and go along the Mission Highway, it looks strange not seeing them there. Considering that my memory of the place pretty well stops at 1975, everything looks odd out there now.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:51 am

AVR was supposed to have gotten 850 in Abbotsford back on the air to simulcast 106.3 Vancouver, but I guess now that the towers are gone it's a dead issue. However I have yet to see anything on the CRTC or Industry Canada sites that indicate AVR has cancelled that original construction permit.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Return to CRTC News