Can-Con 45 Of The Day - April 2

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - April 2

Postby radiofan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:17 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from 1976 ... Ian Thomas from Hamilton and "Liars" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMTCRvSzKhs

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - April 2

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:15 am

Very Beatle-y feel to this one and yet still completely original.
Ian got respect and a degree of recognition but it’s another case of a Canadian artist who should have been HUGE.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:26 am

For a back story about this record, this from the website vancouversignaturesounds.com

In Ian Thomas’ “Liars” the singer laments the corrupt environment of the music industry. The glitter, daydreams and money machine created to dazzle musicians is a distraction as too often performers find those handling their record deals and concert tours have their “finger in the pie.” How often are recording artists on the short end of the stick when their managers, agents and record companies siphon off money owed to them? Tommy James & The Shondells had numerous hits in the mid to late 1960’s including “Hanky Panky,” “Mony Mony,” Crimson and Clover” and “Crystal Blue Persuasion.” Forty years later Tommy James penned an autobiography in 2010 called Me, The Mob and The Music. In his book he detailed the shady relationship that Morris Levy of Roulette Records had with Tommy James and the Shondells and other recording artists signed with Roulette. As Roulette hardly ever paid royalties to their recording artists, Tommy James documented that Roulette owed he and The Shondells royalties in the $30 million to $40 million range. Eric Burdon has written about how the manager of The Animals, Michael Jeffrey, absconded with piles of money he owed the band. Jeffrey later became a manager for Jimi Hendrix. Number of Hendrix’s biographers have detailed how his UK manager, Michael Jeffrey, siphoned off huge sums of money earned by Jimi Hendrix. Hendrix was in the process of dropping Michael Jeffrey as his manager when Hendrix died in September 1970.

Sylvie Simmons explains in her 2012 biography, I’m Your Man: The Life of Leonard Cohen, that Kelley Lynch, Cohen’s longtime manager, “took care of Leonard’s business affairs … [and was] not simply his manager but a close friend, almost part of the family.” Simmons notes that in late 2004, Cohen’s daughter Lorca began to suspect Lynch of financial impropriety, and when Cohen checked his bank accounts, he noticed that he had unknowingly paid a credit card bill of Lynch’s for $75,000 and also found that most of the money in his accounts was gone (including money from his retirement accounts and charitable trust funds). Cohen discovered that this had begun as early as 1996 when Lynch started selling Cohen’s music publishing rights despite the fact that Cohen had no financial incentive to do so at the time. As reported in The Guardian, in October 2005, Cohen sued Lynch, alleging that she had misappropriated over US $5 million from Cohen’s retirement fund leaving only $150,000. Cohen was sued in turn by other former business associates. These events placed him in the public spotlight, including a cover feature on him with the headline Leonard Cohen Goes Broke in Canada’s Maclean’s magazine. In March 2006, Cohen won a civil suit and was awarded US$9 million by a Los Angeles County superior court. Lynch ignored the suit and did not respond to a subpoena issued for her financial records. As a result, Cohen never did collect the money Lynch owed him.

Ian Thomas’ song “Liars” may have been most popular with recording artists, roadies and others who were witness to corruption within some circles of the music industry. For most of the record buying public, occasional stories of their favorite music artists getting shafted by crooked music industry types was something they could only read about and shake their heads.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:37 pm

Vancouver Signature Sounds is a nifty site. Run by music lover Ray McGinnis, it focusses on the oodles of songs that charted significantly better in Vancouver (on CKWX, CFUN/CKVN and CKLG) than North American national charts.

Sure, there’s a decent dollop of Vancouver artists covered. But the vast majority of qualifying tunes are by American and British artists. It makes me realize how blessed I was to enjoy a unique audio tapestry in the ‘60s and ‘70s, thanks to some innovative radio programming.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day