Can-Con 45 Of The Day - November 17

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - November 17

Postby radiofan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:06 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from the summer of 1971 ... Terry McManus and "Sunshower In The Spring" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACnTk_nAKUQ

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - November 17

Postby Richard Skelly » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:41 am

I remember this catchy perfect-for-balmy days single.

Terry had an equally catchy followup called Carolyn. After getting my advance copy, I was impressed enough to mention Carolyn during a shoot-the-breeze phone call with Terry Jacks. "Don't just tell me about it, play it!" commanded The Poppy Family boss.

I rushed over to the hi-fi, plunked Carolyn on and cranked up the volume so Terry Jacks could hear it via phone. He loved it. And said "Sounds like a hit."

When I related this memory to Terry McManus earlier this year via Facebook Message, he replied how surprised he was--during a Carolyn promo junket--when Terry Jacks phoned in to a CKNW talk show to congratulate him on the song that was about to be aired. "It sounds like a hit" said Jacks, again before Carolyn aired. Terry McManus was flattered but also surprised that Terry Jacks knew so much about the song. Until, decades later, I told him the rest of the story.

Alas, Carolyn wasn't even as successful as 'Sunshower'. And McManus eventually became a faculty member of Fanshawe College near London, Ontario. Former Guess Who producer Jack Richardson (RIP) headed a program devoted to training aspiring musical artists and technical personnel eager to enter the biz. On Facebook, Terry McManus balances family postings and musings on life with old releases and some unreleased sessions.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day