Rich (Kelly) Elwood CFUN 1977

Pictures from our archives and yours .. pics of radio people and radio stations from yesterday and today ...

Rich (Kelly) Elwood CFUN 1977

Postby radiofan » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:15 am

Thanks to Rich for sharing this pic of himself doing some stand-up just before Stonebolt took to the stage at a Burnaby (BC) venue in 1977
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Rich (Kelly) Elwood CFUN 1977

Postby Rich Elwood » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:19 pm

Doing standup was always a blast. However, bands typically didn't care for standup warmups.

As in this case, the last thing they said to me before going on was "Keep it short and don't touch our equipment." I was only going to do 5 minutes and would not need to touch their gear; but -it became a fun, laughter rich 20 minute set that ended in me giving me a cymbal crash. "Don't say don't to a comedian," I said to them coming off.

I opened for many acts over the years including Tom Jones (a class guy and very gracious), The Righteous Brothers (quiet but nice), Howie Mandel ( a super person and very funny), Dennis Miller (very bright), The Temptations (very cool people) and Ray Charles (who was so nice to me and I was very much in awe of him. Man, did he have stories).
Rich Elwood
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:11 pm

Rich Elwood wrote:"Don't say don't to a comedian," I said to them coming off.

Stonebolt obviously were not possessed of any comedic talent of their own, or they would have zinged you with "We didn't." or even the less subtle "Comedian, what comedian? We don't see no comedian."
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby Rich Elwood » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:59 am

Slowhand,

You are correct. Oddly enough those types of enviroments were shitty for standup but I did it anyway. Anything for CFUN!!

Rich Elwood
Rich Elwood
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:27 pm

Rich could even make Paul Ski laugh (*no small feat).

Truly one of the brightest and best comedy talents this City has produced and as usual, does not get the respect he deserves.

Richie was also a great team mate at CFUN. He was always ready, he worked his FACE off, and did it with a wry sense of humour that delivered lines that are STILL funny, all these years later.

I can say with alacrity, that my life was made a lot happier for having a genius and a wonderful spirit like Rich Ellwood as one of my “bros”.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Rich Elwood » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:17 pm

Thanks Tom....It's one l in Elwood.
Rich Elwood
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:24 pm

What an oafish mistake. Apologies, Richie.

I have only known you for 36 years, you’d think I’d be able to get it right the first time. Sorry.

(*In case you don’t know, Rich has major cred and is a past master at Stand Up AND Jocking).
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Rich Elwood » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:54 pm

That's OK...they were a long, fun-filled 36 years brother. We had some fun. And of course I have to be a jag-off and correct you. But that's me!

I love your stories...keep them coming.
Rich Elwood
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:41 pm

No, I think it was very impolite and thoughtless of me, and thanks for straightening my ass out. No apology needed, brother. We sat on the frontline together for a long time. I know I keep saying how much fun we had. Well, you were keeping our mind off the fact that we were in a stress filled, insane place.
Oh man - I should talk about a certain CFUN Hallowee'n Party. That should be good for a few lawsuits.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Return to Radio West Photo Album