Chapter Seven: Depression.

Chapter Seven: Depression.

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:25 pm

The recent death of Robin Williams has left a lot of us confused, sad, bewildered and we now KNOW that we have lost a fragile, and ultimately all too vulnerable, soul.

The main cause of Mr. Williams passing was reported as Depression. It is also noted, a few days later, Mr. Williams was in the early stages of Parkinson's Disease. He was also an alcoholic, and had abused cocaine.

He was what we call in AA, "white knuckle sober'" for twenty years, and then the inevitable relapse. Quitting booze on your own is VERY dangerous, if you are dealing with heavyweight consumption; stopping cold turkey can be problematic - always talk to a Doctor - and BE HONEST about exactly HOW much you are drinking....and ask to get your liver scanned. (* Mr. Williams finally got on the 12 step track, Bless him). There are NO guarantees. No fairness in this disease.

We in AA, suggest following a full Program, in concert with a health care professional and psychiatric help, if needed.

Think of the stresses this guy faced... Heart surgery, then the collapse of his TV show, and heavy duty alimony.

Too much, it seems, and so Mr. Williams is gone.

What a terrible loss. The hardest part for me to deal with is that as an alcoholic, we are willing to go to any length to NOT drink, and any length to help anyone, should they feel alcohol was taking over their lives. I felt somehow, like we let him down. I can't explain it. Very upsetting.

Depression has stalked my life since I was a teenager. I cannot take medication for Depression, because of other medical issues. Trust me - and do me a favour. Keep you heart open and an eye on the people you love. Many folks seem to be ashamed that they are 'feeling blue' - IF YOU ARE FEELING LIKE ALL IS HOPELESS - FOR HEAVEN"S SAKE - tell someone. People that love you will understand and you will get better, with help. Honest.

I know this was a weird end to a short stab at describing my enjoyable radio career.

I apologize if it is not radio centric - but I had to reach out, because I know how it can get and I don't want anyone to have to deal with Depression, alone and afraid, like I was.

AA is the first number in the phone book and Central Office's phones are staffed by GREAT people....who know. If the juice is out of control. Call them. OR -

If you are nervous about talking to anyone....write me. I have resources that can help and it will be our secret. It's the least I can do. A lot of GREAT people hang around here, and I feel duty bound to help, in any way I can.

Realize too, that it helps ME, as well. It reminds me how blessed I am, that I have managed to suppress the booze, for nearly 25 years, and I didn't drink myself to death, or worse, hurt someone, while behind the wheel.

Take care of yourself.

CODA>>>>>I also send best wishes to DREX as he starts a new chapter in his career, at CKNW.

Acting like a xenophobe, a few weeks ago, I was all over this guy and quite unfairly.

He responded in a mature and funny way.

He is very talented and I hope to get to meet him one day.

Cheers, mate.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Re: Chapter Seven: Depression.

Postby pave » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:11 am

Having been able - for whatever reason or just plain luck - to avoid the ravages of both addiction and depression, I must compliment you on your own candour. My already substantial respect for you just went up a couple of notches.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby rwbrown » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:22 am

This is very radio related. Tom, I applaud you in sharing this and your perspective.
rwbrown

Postby Tom Jeffries » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:01 am

You have no idea what your kind words mean to me, guys. THANKS.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:51 pm

I had the distinct pleasure of having a bite with Drex, on Friday.

He is a very nice guy and about to become a Citizen. (His Grand Dad was Canadian).

He was most accommodating and funny, (*considering I had been taking cheap shots - but apologized beforehand). He brushed it all off, and we talked (what else) radio - he has been at it since he was what, 14?

I am glad we got together and I respect his smarts and his integrity.

In all, a welcome add to Vancouver Radio and I am glad to have met the cat. Drex - have a great career, here in Vancouver.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:38 pm

I was asked at the recent RPM what are the signs that perhaps Alcohol was a problem.

Good question.

They keep moving the yardsticks. But the latest might shock you.

Those rated high-risk drink more than eight units of alcohol a day – about three pints of beer or four large glasses of wine.

Read more:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2793265/how-10million-hospital-visits-year-caused-heavy-drinking-true-toll-10-times-worse-feared.html#ixzz3GAnDBFDq
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Return to Tom Jeffries Book Deux