Del Erickson

A look back at various radio stations

Postby VancouverTopFortyRadio » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:42 pm

Does anyone out there have a picture of CKWX DJ Del Erickson, who was with the station from late 1960 through 1961 and part of 62? Preferably a shot from around that era.

Jim
Vancouver "Top Forty" Radio
VancouverTopFortyRadio
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:43 pm

I found an old Del Erickson 45 on the ARCTIC label but no pics.

There's got to be something somewhere.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby VancouverTopFortyRadio » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:05 am

Well, I might add that Del had an LP as well, titled "Presenting Del Erickson" on the Thunderbird label. If anyone out there has it, there just might be a picture on it.

As for your 45 on the Arctic label, sounds like another one for the Records/DJ Records section.

Jim
VancouverTopFortyRadio
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:22 am

If we are talking about the same del erickson

there are references to him being a friend of Harvey Milk

He was apparently cast as one of two ss men in the movie
the diary of anne frank - for an actor - you would think there would be
a picture of him somewhere - but I can tell you that can be difficult.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby VancouverTopFortyRadio » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:04 pm

It's the same Del Erickson all right. He apparently had a number of movie and TV credits. Diary of Anne Frank was one. He also had a supporting role in the 1956 movie "Hot Rod Girl" where he played a rebellious teen who gets himself killed in drag race. And he had a number of TV appearances on both sides of the border, including a recurring role in the CBC series, "Cariboo Country". I dug pretty deep, checking out links on all these movies and shows, and came up short bios but no photos. Just trying to find a head shot of him to go with the CKWX 1961 DJs.

Del also recorded some hit tunes, including "Two" which charted number 1 on the CKWX chart, and "Rockin' Band".

I also heard he was a pal of Buddy Clyde.

Talent guy. . . it seems.

Jim
VancouverTopFortyRadio
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:16 pm

VancouverTopFortyRadio wrote: Does anyone out there have a picture of CKWX DJ Del Erickson, who was with the station from late 1960 through 1961 and part of 62?  Preferably a shot from around that era.

Jim
Vancouver "Top Forty" Radio

Jim, did you check the clippings file for CKWX at the main library (I think it's under "Radio Stations."

There are some head shots from somewhere around that era, but I can't recall if he's among them. I loved the Jim Robson crewcut picture.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:31 pm

cart_machine wrote:
I loved the Jim Robson crewcut picture.

cArtie.

If you've missed that pic of Jim, there's a 1959 CKWX survey in the Chart section of RadioWest.ca .

CKWX Charts
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby VancouverTopFortyRadio » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:47 pm

Jim, did you check the clippings file for CKWX at the main library (I think it's under "Radio Stations."

Dang it, no I didn't. Will have to make a trip down there early in the new year. There may be a wealth of other photos there as well. Thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious to me.

Jim
VancouverTopFortyRadio
Advanced Member

Postby VancouverTopFortyRadio » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:56 pm

If you've missed that pic of Jim [Robson], there's a 1959 CKWX survey in the Chart section of RadioWest.ca .

Thanks, I've already snagged all the DJ shots from the published surveys. Del joined the WX lineup almost to the very week the station stopped including DJ pics on the surveys.

Incidently, have you ever wondered what Jim Robson would have sounded like spinning Elvis and other rock and roll records in the A.M?

Jim
VancouverTopFortyRadio
Advanced Member

Re: Del Erickson

Postby 78rpm » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:09 am

Have a Del Erickson photo on his record LP, but don't know how to post a pic here.
Send your email address & will fwd. to you
support community radio-send all your money now.
78rpm
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:08 am

J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby don'tpanic » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:14 am

Here's his page on IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0259043/
don'tpanic

Postby J Kendrick » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:30 am

J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby Talker » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:46 pm

It was a VERY long time ago but I seem to remember Del was related to then 'WX morning man Buddy Clyde. A cousin or something. They would divide their time together going back and forth to Portland, Ore. where Clyde had a TV Dance Party show. (Before or after Red's, I'm not sure). On the more intimate side, he was supposedly aligned with an actress who was popular at the time. (Piper Laurie, I believe). Not sure if they ever tied the knot.
I'm open to severe correction from anyone with better, more accurate info. (Damn cobwebs).
Talker
Advanced Member

Postby normandreassen » Fri May 17, 2019 9:27 am

It seems to me that Del and Buddy Clyde were hosting a show on CHAN TV (now Global TV Vancouver) called Dance Party. Terry Black appeared on one of the shows and lip-synched his hit 'Unless You Care'. Or maybe it's just a false memory.
normandreassen

Return to Radio Station History