Spokane Jock ??

Your Updates for CalgaryBroadcasters.com

Spokane Jock ??

Postby BossRadio » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:00 pm

:lol: In 76/77 I would spin the dial to a Spokane AM top 40 station after CJAT Trail went black at midnite each nite. For some months a certain overnite jock who's name has long deserted me would do a logged Farm report after 4am..with production elements that would make me rofl....singing chickens clucking backwards, pyscadelic mooing sounding cows..all sorts of goofy crap under neath his straight arrow but tounge-in-cheek read. I had to call him up one nite and ask about it, and as he explained he was only there until til a better shift opened up(weren't we all) that he had been promised at another station after what i took to be a no compete clause was over and done.and he just created the effects for his own ammusement....Not sure if it was KXLY or KGA or...but it was fun stuff..anyone else ever hear him?
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Not KGA

Postby jon » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:15 pm

KGA was only Top 40 for one year -- January 1968 to January 1969, maybe very early Feb. -- I forget how long they continued the farce about rebelling against a change in format. KJRB would never (1) put up with that kind of behaviour; and (2) air a farm report, so I think we can safely eliminate them. Not sure who was still doing Top 40 on AM in 76/77 in Spokane.
jon
Advanced Member

KREM?

Postby jon » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:21 pm

Just checked and KREM was still Top 40 in 1974. Reelradio has a couple of airchecks from that year of Andy Barber and Bruce Murdock.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:48 pm

In 1976-77 .. Spokane had several Top 40 stations. KJRB 790 and KREM 970 were the biggies. KCKO 1380 was also Top 40 for awhile. KXLY 920 was almost a Top 40 station, so there was lots to listen to.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Spokane Jock ??

Postby PMC » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:48 pm

BossRadio wrote::lol: In 76/77 I would spin the dial to a Spokane AM top 40 station after CJAT Trail went black at midnite each nite.

CJAT was 610 on the am dial. If they went down for the night, it would only be on a Sunday midnight to Monday at 6am. John Renzie was the engineer, and I think I worked there from 1974 to 1976 or early 77.

In 76-77 the station would have been owned by David Hoole and his partners (Frank Hogg) in Vancouver.... George Garret was the station manager briefly, and when he departed back to NW, Barry Clarke, and guy named Howard (something) were the station managers.

If the station you listened to was only audible when CJAT was off air, then that station would have to be in the frequency range of 600 to 620.

The closest Spokane frequency was 630 KZUN which gave up the frequency to KXLI in 2005.
PMC

Postby jon » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:57 pm

Although we should let BossRadio clarify, I should mention that I interpreted him to mean that he listened to CJAT until they signed off, then habitually switched to a Spokane station after that.

I was at CJAT in 1972, just before CKEK Cranbrook bought them, and they ran from 5:30 a.m. to 1:05 a.m. daily, seven days a week. And they were one great sounding Top 40 station. Except when I was on the air. I turned the mic. to the right so that I spoke across the front of it to put more bass in my voice, not realizing that, on CJAT, I was causing severe overmodulation whenenver I spoke, because the peak limiter sampled higher frequencies and I was fooling it into overmodulating. I only discovered this a few years back when I listened more closely to a short aircheck a friend in Seattle made of me amid the interference from CHNL Kamloops and KFRC San Francisco, both on the same frequency.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:28 pm

jon wrote:Although we should let BossRadio clarify, I should mention that I interpreted him to mean that he listened to CJAT until they signed off, then habitually switched to a Spokane station after that.

Perhaps my headspace caused me to believe the writer worked in the business.
jon wrote:I was at CJAT in 1972, just before CKEK Cranbrook bought them, and they ran from 5:30 a.m. to 1:05 a.m. daily, seven days a week. And they were one great sounding Top 40 station. Except when I was on the air. I turned the mic. to the right so that I spoke across the front of it to put more bass in my voice, not realizing that, on CJAT, I was causing severe overmodulation whenenver I spoke, because the peak limiter sampled higher frequencies and I was fooling it into overmodulating. I only discovered this a few years back when I listened more closely to a short aircheck a friend in Seattle made of me amid the interference from CHNL Kamloops and KFRC San Francisco, both on the same frequency.

Lloyd Hoole and Cornel Sawchuck bought CJAT and used the FM side to create an overnight radio network. It was a unique idea in broadcasting. It consisted of broadcasting from the AM studio in Trail through CJAT-FM, then picked up in Cranbrook via an FM receiver, fed through the board, and to CKEK and CFEK in Fernie. It was promoted as the Tri-mountain Network... the jock that started doing it was named Colin James and from Edmonton if I remember correctly At midnight in Cranbrook, turning up a pot with the FM feed made in work. Turning the pot down made it disappear.
PMC

Postby jon » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:01 pm

Obviously, I wasn't still there then, but a second way they may have done that was to use the cable FM feed of CJAT-FM. Most Canadian cable companies that carried Spokane TV stations, also carried CJAT-FM on cable FM, as it was fed along with the Spokane TV stations on the microwave network that cable companies shared from the head end on Red Mountain near Trail. What I don't know, of course, is whether Cranbrook's cable company did a cable FM feed.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby BossRadio » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:59 pm

:oops: Sorry guys...I should have been clearer in my post. I was the evening jock in 76-77 at CJAT, and I was dx-ing after midnite. The station was either KXLY or KREM come to think of it. Thanx for input. Guess I'll never know, but it was sure a treat to hear a jock like that having a ball in the wee small ones...

BR.
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby PMC » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:14 am

jon wrote:Obviously, I wasn't still there then, but a second way they may have done that was to use the cable FM feed of CJAT-FM. Most Canadian cable companies that carried Spokane TV stations, also carried CJAT-FM on cable FM, as it was fed along with the Spokane TV stations on the microwave network that cable companies shared from the head end on Red Mountain near Trail. What I don't know, of course, is whether Cranbrook's cable company did a cable FM feed.

They did use the cable FM feed of CJAT-FM in Cranbrook. There was a rack mounted FM tuner on the wall with a standard coax connection.
PMC

Return to Calgary Broadcasters