Gord Robison (1951-2008)

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Gord Robison (1951-2008)

Postby Dan Williamson » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:56 am

It is my extremely sad duty to inform you of Gord Robison's passing.

His body was discovered last evening in his apartment in Edmonton by members of the police service.

No cause of death has yet been determined however word should come from the medical examiner early next week.

I received this news from Gord's ex wife Audrey this morning, along with this quote:

"Our family wants to focus on all the good times we had together with Gord and take comfort that he is now at peace in his new heavenly home."

So should we all.

Gord's career spanned five decades of Canadian radio. He was employee, co-worker, boss, mentor and friend to hundreds, if not thousands, in our industry over that time.

A gentle man with a huge heart, he was a very dear friend to many and I as one miss him terribly already.

Dan Williamson
Last edited by Dan Williamson on Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Williamson

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:05 am

03/22/08 - Veteran broadcaster Gord Robson, who entertained Vancouverites at CKLG for a decade from 1974-84, has died. His body was discovered by police last night at his home in Edmonton. Cause of death has not yet been determined. His career began at CKXL Calgary in 1968, included anchoring Sports Page at CKVU-TV Vancouver from 1978-80, and work in Montreal, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw and Toronto. He was currently handling swing, remotes, voice tracking and production at CHQT Edmonton.

This is hard for me to believe - but I do believe 'da bear'. Gord suffered some real challenges in 2006 but came back fighting and getting a new radio gig until let go by CHQT station management. Our condolences to the family.

In a career that has taken him from Montreal to Vancouver and several points in between, Gord Robson has been a mainstay in Canadian rock radio for four decades. It all started for Robson in 1968 at CKXL Calgary.

His career has taken him to such legendary stations as CFOX Montreal, CKRA and CHED Edmonton and CKLG Vancouver. Robson tells Rock Radio Scrapbook about the CKLG years...

"It was a great radio station with fantastic talent that all went on to great careers. The battle was intense with CFUN. CKNW was #1 and both of us said we were the number-one rock stations and we were both right. Great talent, great programming ... Chuck McCoy at CFUN and his brother Gary Russell at CKLG. Great PD's ... a great time in radio in Vancouver."

Past Work Experience:

CKXL 1968 – 1971 CALGARY AB
CFOX 1971 MONTREAL QC

Position held: PM DRIVE

CHED EDMONTON AB 1972 – 1974

CKLG VANCOUVER BC

Position held: APD/PM /DRIVE/MIDDAYS 1974 - 1984

CHAB MOOSE JAW SK

Position held: PD 1984 - 1985

CKXL CALGARY AB

Position held: PD MIDDAYS 1985 - 1987

CHED EDMONTON AB

Position held: PM DRIVE 1987 - 1996

K-LITE / MIX96 EDMONTON AB 1996 -1997

Position held: PM DRIVE/ MORNINGS

CFRV / THE RIVER - LETHBRIDGE AB 1997 - 2004

Position held: PD/ MORNINGs

Left with #1 rating in target audience of women.

CHQT (Cool 880) EDMONTON, AB 2007 - MAR. 13, 2008

AFternoon Drive
Last edited by Jack Bennest on Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:46 am

this is so sad. i remember listening to his PM drive show online at Cool880 not long ago. it was like finding an old friend. I'll forever remember him from his days pulling down mid-mornings at LG73 in the late 70's. RIP Gord and thanks for the many hours you spent entertaining us.
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:52 am

Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Gord Robson

Postby segueking2 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:47 am

I am shattered by the news that Gord Robson has left us.

This was one of the kindest, nicest, most affable, generous and talented men I ever had the pleasure of meeting. I never had the honor of sharing a frequency - as a matter of fact he was my main competitor for a number of years.
It never stopped us from enjoying laughs, a few ales and one hell of a great time.
The days of Hornby Street, and Gary Taylor's, LG73, all the memories will have some bit of Robson in there.

I hope all his friends, particularly Danny Williamson are going to be ok - heh - we were lucky to have had some time with this man.

Gord - you were a FINE HUMAN BEING and a credit to the fekkadah world of radio.

God Bless
segueking2
Advanced Member

Postby OpenMike » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:05 am

Back in early April of 2006 - Gord was in the ICU at U of A Hospital. He was not able to breathe on his own and his kidneys were failing. He was in a critical condition. On October 1/06 he was out of hospital and recovering and back online.

He made an amazing recovery. But
Geo Custer - "There are not enough Indians in the world to defeat the 7th Cavalry"
OpenMike
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:13 am

My sincere condolences to the Robson family.
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:19 am

Ditto to everything Segue has said.

I first met Gord when he was at CKLG 30 plus years ago. I was listening the day in 1977 when he phoned whoever was filling in for him and he announced he was the proud father of twins.

Over the years I've worked with many people who had the pleasure of working with Gord at various stations, and not one of them has ever uttered a bad word about him.

If every station had a Gord Robson at the helm, radio would be a lot more fun and entertaining today.

Gord was one of a kind, and a rarity in the radio biz.

To Gord's family and friends, I share your loss.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:38 am

Another of the good ones, gone too soon.
Our paths crossed briefly, during the short time I was at CKXL in 1971.
That was the year 'XL was named Station of the Year by the CAB.
Gord was one of the many great personalities at the station.
I rejoiced when he recently re-surfaced at 880 in Edmonton.
I'm saddened to hear of his passing.
My condolences to his family and his many friends, both inside and outside the "biz."
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Stevey7 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:05 am

Gord was a class act, always. One of the brightest and best has been lost to us way ahead of his time. Rest in peace, Gord.
Stevey7

CHED News Item

Postby jon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:34 am

The 12:30 p.m. CHED News had, as its lead item, Gord's passing. I'll record the 1 p.m. News and post it.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:36 am

The following was posted with last 3 minutes, on 630ched.com:
Corus mourns passing of Gord Robison
12:34pm
Jim Kerr
3/22/2008

The Corus Radio family is saddened to report the sudden passing of long-time broadcaster Gord Robison.

Gord passed away at his home. He was 56.

Gord’s broadcast career took him through several markets in Western Canada. In Edmonton, he was likely best known for his years on 630 CHED when the station was music based.

Most recently, Gord provided on-air services to CHQT, a Corus owned radio station.

Details on funeral services are being finalized.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:39 am

From Ed Mason of CHED and CHQT News ...

Hi:

Like the rest of you, I'm deeply saddened by Gord's unexpected passing. I worked indirectly with Gord at COOL 880 but our shifts rarely crossed paths. On the few times he filled in for Chuck Chandler and I read the news, I very much enjoyed our time together. We had a chance to hang out as M/C's at a Rock 'n Roll revival show last year and that led to swapping some great stories backstage. I never heard a negative word from Gord, and that is rare these days. I've told others I was hoping he would land quickly at a big station where his talents would be recognized and he would be truly happy. I hope he's found it. My thoughts are with his family.

Ed at CHED
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:43 am

From the above News item on the 630ched.com site, the best picture I've seen of Gord in recent years:

jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:05 pm

CHED didn't run News at 1:00 p.m. because of the hockey game that begins in a few minutes.
jon
Advanced Member

Next

Return to General Radio News