CKBD Sign Off / CKPK Launch

Bits and pieces of Radio History ... Features, sign ons, sign offs, format changes ... posting what we want!

Postby Dan Sys » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:59 pm

Guess I'm just talking to the wrong people. We'll rehash this conversation in a year or so after The Peak has had a chance to establish itself in the BBM's. However don't be disappointed if they follow that failing trend that most Triple A stations in the U.S. have taken over the past few years.

By the way, I may be a crusty old fart but I also know my music (old & new), and for your information all I watch on TV are newscasts & Canucklehead games.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Re: Sad

Postby cart_machine » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:03 pm

Another_RadioFan wrote: The Fox will play Pearl Jam but not Paul McCartney "Baby I'm Amazed".

The song is "Maybe I'm Amazed"? There's something out there called the internet where you can find out this stuff.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Another_RadioFan » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:11 pm

cart_machine wrote:
Another_RadioFan wrote: The Fox will play Pearl Jam but not Paul McCartney "Baby I'm Amazed".

The song is "Maybe I'm Amazed"? There's something out there called the internet where you can find out this stuff.

cArtie.

I guess I am too young :wink:

My bad...but like "Excuse me while I kiss this guy" I have always sung it wrong!

Thanks cArtie!
Another_RadioFan

Postby Another_RadioFan » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:15 pm

Dan Sys wrote:Guess I'm just talking to the wrong people. We'll rehash this conversation in a year or so after The Peak has had a chance to establish itself in the BBM's. However don't be disappointed if they follow that failing trend that most Triple A stations in the U.S. have taken over the past few years.

By the way, I may be a crusty old fart but I also know my music (old & new), and for your information all I watch on TV are newscasts & Canucklehead games.

I agree Dan; I've said to many people to wait until the first year is over. Trust me, I will eat alot of crow if the station performs as low as alot of people on here choose to believe it will. However, if it goes the other way, I expect the same in return :lol:
Another_RadioFan

Postby Dan Sys » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:19 pm

I think I'll go for a starling, not as much meat.....but similar to a crow.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Another_RadioFan » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:37 pm

Dan Sys wrote:I think I'll go for a starling, not as much meat.....but similar to a crow.

Just remember to let it rest for 5 minutes after it comes off the grill and the meat will just fall off the bone :)
Another_RadioFan

Postby cart_machine » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:48 pm

Another_RadioFan wrote:
My bad...but like "Excuse me while I kiss this guy" I have always sung it wrong!

Lyrics? Forget 'em! Just screech everything in a kind of a rasp. Oh wait, they'll put you in Pearl Jam then.

Another_RadioFan wrote: Thanks cArtie!

No problem. I've got to do something besides make fun of that Latin-speaking geezer Top Dog. Is has haud sex vita.

C. Arthur Machine
Helpmate to Broadcasters Everywhere.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Can you honestly....

Postby johnsykes » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:16 pm

tell me with a straight face that Janis Joplin sang on key?

tell me that you understand each and every word to most Pearl Jam "songs"?

tell me that you understand what rappers are saying?

that's what I'm getting at when I say, rock music from the late 60's on was terrible in a lot of cases....not all of course....not all. Sarah McL. off key...Joni Mitchell wouldn't know what singing on-key meant.

Why is Michael Buble being played on QMFM? he's a jazz singer....oh, because he's Canadian, I forgot. And I will add....a damned good singer at that.

The crap coming from boom cars is incredible....the kids will be using hearing aids before they're 40
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:21 pm

C. Machine

Haud ita decet, si pcrpetuam vis esse affinitatem hane
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:31 pm

Another Radiofan:

Another young punk who thinks old guys (over 30) know nothing of the Internet and the so-called new technology of the day such as cell phones, blackberries etc.
Who the f##k do you think invented and refined all this stuff anyway?
I'm soon to be 63 and I know all about those trendy sites you're spouting about.
I've been involved with computers from the beginning and still do consulting today.
I work with young people from the ages of 18 and up.
BTW, BCIT's radio station has been playing AAA for more than two years now.
There is good and bad music from every era.
Right now, we're in the "everything sounds like Nickleback" era and it's all smashed, compressed and limited beyond belief.
As has been noted, triple A is a disaster, ratings wise, everywhere it's been tried.
I love young know-it-alls who think everyone else is dumb.
Most people on this board have been there, done that and still are successful at what they do.
Most of us just refuse to work for peanuts and 'tards like you.
I'm lucky.
I can pick and choose my clients and they're happy to pay for my expertise.
What have you accomplished lately?
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Re: Can you honestly....

Postby cart_machine » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:30 am

johnsykes wrote: tell me that you understand what rappers are saying?

John, the fact they can be understood is the reason you can go on-line and find "clean" versions of their songs.

Music tastes are subjective. It's pointless calling stuff "crap." Except maybe Celine Dion. But someone buys her stuff, too.

No doubt, AAA's flavour will run out when its month is up, and some consultant will play mix-and-match with some songs and "invent" a new format that they'll shove at stations as a ratings-winner. The sun rises and falls with equal regularity as hot formats.

And consider Vancouver's No. 1 jock (Frosty) wasn't even playing music any more at the time he retired.

johnsykes wrote: The crap coming from boom cars is incredible....the kids will be using hearing aids before they're 40

John, they said the same thing in the 1950s.

And nothing's funnier than going back and reading polemics from groups with names like "League of Decency" that spouted about the evils and bad influence of Bing Crosby and Rudy Vallee.

Right now, I'm listening to "Limehouse Blues." I think it's Bunny Berrigan playing.

cArtie
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:53 am

Top Dog wrote:Haud ita decet, si pcrpetuam vis esse affinitatem hane

Didn't Warren teach you to type only when sober?

Besides, the only latin I've had experience with is .. hmm, well, we don't need to tell that story.

cArtie
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Another_RadioFan » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:17 am

Mike Cleaver wrote:Another Radiofan:

Another young punk who thinks old guys (over 30) know nothing of the Internet and the so-called new technology of the day such as cell phones, blackberries etc.

We've actually met Mike....and I am not under 30 :). By your post you only glanced at this thread and then decided to wade in with both barrels cocked (dare I stoop to your level and make a joke here?) The only thing I remotely said that could be construed that old farts like yourself don't know the new technology is in a post to Tuned where I playfully (see that emoticon) asked if he knew what iTunes is. Lighten up..it was a joke. Everything else I have said about age is to make reference that the people referring to the music as "crap" are too old to get it; a sentiment that was then echoed by a couple of others as well. I don't like The Beat, but I don't refer to it as crap

Mike Cleaver wrote:Who the f##k do you think invented and refined all this stuff anyway?
I'm soon to be 63 and I know all about those trendy sites you're spouting about.
I've been involved with computers from the beginning and still do consulting today.

Did you the f##k invent it Mike? And refining it? It's not your age group that's doing that my friend no matter how much you think that is. Do you think Gates and Jobs are writing all the code nowadays that their systems use? No some 20 - 40 is. 63...once again, turn up the hearing aid for this one Mike....you are also too old for the demo which is my only point. Sorry that you take offense...it's a fact. Get over it. Again, I am too old for the Beat but I don't spout off about what a shitty radio station it is becuase it doesn't speak to me.

Mike Cleaver wrote:I work with young people from the ages of 18 and up.
BTW, BCIT's radio station has been playing AAA for more than two years now.

oh bully for you, you are so tuned in then....my mistake. And yes BCIT's radio station is fantastic for the music.

Mike Cleaver wrote:There is good and bad music from every era.
Right now, we're in the "everything sounds like Nickleback" era and it's all smashed, compressed and limited beyond belief.

See that's where I believe you are wrong and out of touch. A few years ago, that Nickleback comment would have been correct

Mike Cleaver wrote:I love young know-it-alls who think everyone else is dumb.
Most people on this board have been there, done that and still are successful at what they do.

And I love old farts that sit and bitch about music they don't understand. Old know-it-alls that are still clinging to what they KNEW when they worked in a bygone era but have been out of the system for a while now. And they (should I actually be saying you) feel they can tell the new generation how it needs to be done. Things change Mike. And until you made this an attack it was a discussion based on that but you had to go further...to wit:

Mike Cleaver wrote:Most of us just refuse to work for peanuts and 'tards like you.

Tards like me. And you're working with 18 year olds...helping to shape their minds with beautiful colourful socially acceptable labels like that. I am sure when you weren't 63, back in a time when you were a young know-it-all it was OK to hurl around epitaphs like that. This was a discussion about the difference in age and boy did you prove it there Mike. Kudos!

Mike Cleaver wrote:I'm lucky.
I can pick and choose my clients and they're happy to pay for my expertise.
What have you accomplished lately?

Good for you Mike...let's whip out our c&*ks and get this over with shall we? Who the hell cares what you or I have done. You have added nothing to this discussion which I took a couple of people to task for calling music they don't listen to or get, "crap". And I might add the situation had pretty much resolved itself.

I've got an idea that Pattison can do if this AAA doesn't work out.

100.5 OF Radio
"100.5 Old Fart Radio...All bitter, all the time."

Then you can finally get back into radio Mike.

*blows the smoke off the barrels*
Another_RadioFan

Postby Another_RadioFan » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:22 am

And with apologies to radiofan...I hope you realize that was not bashing; that was defending an attack from Mike
Another_RadioFan

Backtrack

Postby johnsykes » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:21 am

OK so the music I think is crap, isn't to many others. Enough said on that.
What I don't get is - how many radio stations are there in Vancouver and how many are playing various versions of rock music. Incredible!
johnsykes
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Audio Memories