Pat O'Day Celebrates 50 Years in Seattle Radio

A radio site without audio is like a TV station with no pictures.

Pat O'Day Celebrates 50 Years in Seattle Radio

Postby radiofan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:08 pm

Pat O'Day hit the Seattle airwaves in late January 1959 on K-A-Y-O 11-5-0. Less than a year later he was at KJR where in addition to being on-air, he became PD and eventually GM.

Pat spent two hours with Mike Gastineau and Dave Grosby (Groz with Gas) on Sportsradio KJR 950 yesterday (01/27) talking about his 50 years in Seattle radio, the concert business
and more... as always, lots of great stories told like only Pat can tell them.

Here's the show, broken in seven segments. Enjoy!

Pat O'Day 50 Years Segment One 11:57

Pat O'Day 50 Years Segment Two 12:12

Pat O'Day 50 Years Segment Three 10:59

Pat O'Day 50 Years Segment Four 7:54

Pat O'Day 50 Years Segment Five 8:10

Pat O'Day 50 Years Segment Six 11:04

Pat O'Day 50 Years Segment Seven 12:55

Thanks for 50 great years Pat!

More on Pat in Bill Virgin's "On Radio" column

Pat O'Day (front) and Lan Roberts on the KJR Supercar .. Pat has a great story about the Supercar in Segment 5
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Pat O'Day Celebrates 50 Years in Seattle Radio

Postby another dog » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:46 pm

First, I too, would like to thank Pat for the past 50 years, it has been great. We all have to agree, for I as a teen remember that move to KJR.

Thanks too to the guys bringing us that yesterday.

And one other word of thanks, this to RF, for bringing all of this to us, at RW dot ca.
another dog
Advanced Member

Postby 42 Tall » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:29 pm

Pat O' Day and the gang at KJR were simply the best!! As Charlie Brown used to say in the morning "Mother 95's Favorite Little Radio Station", and it was a favorite among alot of listners, in the Pacific Northwest. Pat's coverage of the Sea-Fair Hydroplane Races was pure gold!!..Perhaps if the "suits" today would take the time to listen to some airchecks of Pat and the gang at KJR they might learn a thing or two about what a radio station should sound like, they might even discover that the announcers can be "personalities" and not just "voice-over monkeys" (who pre-record their shows) reeling off the titles of the last 47 songs that they played.

Thank you Pat O'Day for 50 "Hit Bound" Years!!!
42 Tall
Advanced Member

Postby yee-haw » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:28 am

42 Tall,
I wasn't around for the big years of KJR, but my uncle used to tell me about how those guys in Seattle ruled! He said they were the guys that the rest of the West Coast used to try and emulate. 50 years, a Hell of a long time in any business, but especially this business. Congrats to Pat.
yee-haw
Advanced Member

Postby yee-haw » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:31 am

On a personal note, Jesus 42Tall, I hope that's not a personal photo of you bursting the buttons on your shirt and suit. Jesus, take the fork out of your mouth.
yee-haw
Advanced Member

Postby 42 Tall » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:38 am

Thanks Yee-Haw,

Just finished another 12-pack of "Tim's", they wash down smooth with the big torpedo size Pepsi...I'm working on the same diet plan that Oprah is on..it's called the "see-food" diet....see food, eat it!!!..
42 Tall
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:47 am

42 Tall wrote:Thanks Yee-Haw,

Just finished another 12-pack of "Tim's", they wash down smooth with the big torpedo size Pepsi...I'm working on the same diet plan that Oprah is on..it's called the "see-food" diet....see food, eat it!!!..

Hey 42T...its apparrent why you like Mr O'Day so much.... your jokes are from that era! :)
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby yee-haw » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:04 am

Howaboutthat wrote:

Hey 42T...its apparrent why you like Mr O'Day so much.... your jokes are from that era! :)

Keep those jokes coming 42Tall, Top Dog is writing them down. He'll use them at his next council meeting in Spuzzum or wherever he lives.
yee-haw
Advanced Member

Postby 42 Tall » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:27 am

yee-haw wrote:
Howaboutthat wrote:

A quick reminder "Howaboutthat"..it was the best era for radio!!

Keep those jokes coming 42Tall, Top Dog is writing them down. He'll use them at his next council meeting in Spuzzum or wherever he lives.
42 Tall
Advanced Member

Postby Mighty Thor » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:32 am

Actually, yee-haw is the one writing down the jokes. He's saving them up for when he goes trolling on Second Life or other similar sites looking for "friends."
Mighty Thor
Advanced Member

Postby 42 Tall » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:56 am

Yes, "Yee-Haw" is making the rounds of the sites, he probably got a dictionary for christmas and wants to impress everyone with his vast knowledge of the english language, while stealing material..
42 Tall
Advanced Member

Postby yee-haw » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:11 am

42 Tall wrote:Yes, "Yee-Haw" is making the rounds of the sites, he probably got a dictionary for christmas and wants to impress everyone with his vast knowledge of the english language, while stealing material..

Very funny Mr. Tall. You suits are a bundle of laughs, filled with old jokes. Here's something we should look into. I have this feeling that Thor is actually Top Dog in a hat with horns1 :lol:
yee-haw
Advanced Member

Postby Mighty Thor » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:27 am

I'd rather have a hat with horns than an arrow in my fundament.

Twit.
Every Halloween, the trees are filled with underwear! Every spring, the toilets explode! -Dean Wormer, Animal House.
Mighty Thor
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:30 am

yee-haw wrote:
42 Tall wrote:Yes, "Yee-Haw" is making the rounds of the sites, he probably got a dictionary for christmas and wants to impress everyone with his vast knowledge of the english language, while stealing material..

Very funny Mr. Tall. You suits are a bundle of laughs, filled with old jokes. Here's something we should look into. I have this feeling that Thor is actually Top Dog in a hat with horns1 :lol:

Meanwhile, back in Seattle! That KJR was indeed a powerhouse. Pat O'Day, a legend. I wonder if we'll ever see the likes of that kind of radio ever again? Think it's possible, in this day of 10 in a row, time and temperature radio. I think not. :cry:
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby segueking2 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:37 pm

I consider myself lucky to have met Mr. O'Day twice.

The greatest radio mind I have ever met.

On the second occasion, Lan Roberts was along for the visit in Friday Harbor, and so was Red Robinson - and it is one of my most treasured memories.

All thanks to a fella named Biff.

KJR, in it's glory days, was the best.

Congratulations to Mr. O'Day and his family.
segueking2
Advanced Member

Next

Return to This week's feature aircheck(s)