An Old CBC drama

TV related and TV station items from yesterday

An Old CBC drama

Postby Promotions Guy » Mon May 25, 2009 6:41 pm

So I must be getting way tooooo old, but I was looking through the CBC vault of old television programs. They seem to have a bunch of old favourites and many not so favourites. So I thought I would email the Mother Corp and see if anyone could give me some information on an old CBC daytimer called Tidewater Tramp. Seems to be it was shot in Vancouver, and focused on the very dramatic life of a tugboat captain, his daughter I believe, and a young friend. It was back in the days of blurry black and white so my details may be off a little (or a lot). Anyway no one at CBC knew what I was talking about.

Now there is no real reason why I was looking for information on Tidewater Tramp, just that I was fascinated that the Mother Corp had no record of this program.

So to waste some time and see if I have gone crazier, does anyone remember, or know anything about this vintage CBC program?

Maybe it was all a dream and I really am suffering autism and really am imagining things while I watch my toy ball!!!
Promotions Guy
Advanced Member

Re: An Old CBC drama

Postby Steve Sanderson » Mon May 25, 2009 7:12 pm

Tidewater Tramp (Series) (1959-1962)
A half-hour dramatic series for young viewers, Tidewater Tramp originated at CBC Vancouver,
and told stories of the Flying Kestrel, a tramp steamer that sailed the Inland Passage of British Columbia
and up to the Alaska Panhandle to carry cargo to remote port settlements. The skipper was Captain Martin,
a widower whose crew included his twelve year old daughter Gail and the young coast cadet Peter.
Produced mostly in studio, the program also aimed for authenticity with exterior sequences shot on
film from a B.C. freighter.

Robert William Chambers....Peter
Maureen Cook....Gail Martin
Edith Matheson Dean
Brendan Dillon
Ted Greenhalgh
Wally Marsh
Reg McReynolds....Captain Martin

Funny enough, the show sounds familiar...But I don't remember watching it.
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon May 25, 2009 7:32 pm

Wow! How'd I miss that?

OK, let me guess. It was aired at the same time as "To Tell the Truth", "Beat the Clock", "Password" or "I've Got a Secret" on KVOS.

Or, if it wasn't aired early evening, but later, maybe it was up against "Have Gun Will Travel", "Perry Mason", "The Flintstones" (aired at 10 p.m. in their first year, for adults obviously), "Dragnet" or "The Donna Reed Show". Hey, if it was in the 1961-62 season, it might even have been aired when "Top Cat" or "The Hathaways" was aired -- two personal favourites that were a tough watch with the poor reception of Seattle stations from my part of Coquitlam.

If it was aired in the afternoon, I would have been too busy watching "Frisky Frollics", "Planet Pals", "Razzle Dazzle", "Howdy Dowdy", "Maggie Muggins", or those cool planet dudes in their spaceship. Depending on which season we are talking about of their run. I think it was a bit later before "Father Knows Best" and "Perry Mason" started being re-run in the afternoons on KVOS. And a little after "My Little Margie" and "Our Miss Brooks".
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Promotions Guy » Tue May 26, 2009 7:49 pm

Thanks SC. For a few years I thought I was going crazy when the CBC archives said they had no record of this show.
Seems to me Jon it aired around the supper hour (4:30 to 5:30).
Promotions Guy
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu May 28, 2009 9:57 pm

"The Donna Reid Show."
Whenever CJLH-TV, later CJOC-TV lost the CBC network feed, out would come a filmed episode of the above.
I think the station had the entire run on black and white film.
If you watched tv in Lethbridge and vicinity in the mid '60's, you saw a lot of "The Donna Reid Show."
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Fri May 29, 2009 7:26 pm

Mike Cleaver wrote:"The Donna Reid Show."
Whenever CJLH-TV, later CJOC-TV lost the CBC network feed, out would come a filmed episode of the above.
If you watched tv in Lethbridge and vicinity in the mid '60's, you saw a lot of "The Donna Reid Show."

Not to be mistaken for 'The Donna Reed Show,' I hope.

cArtie
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Fri May 29, 2009 8:10 pm

cart_machine wrote:
Mike Cleaver wrote:"The Donna Reid Show."

Not to be mistaken for 'The Donna Reed Show,' I hope.

cArtie

Mike doesn't make mistakes. Must have been a local Lethbridge program... same name, different spelling! ;)
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri May 29, 2009 8:27 pm

In the early 1960s, CBUT always had an episode of some popular re-run cued up or ready to be cued up quickly.

A live event that ran short, or technical difficulties, made way for some interesting things for this kid to watch.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Fri May 29, 2009 9:02 pm

Nah, it was "Reed."
There always was a reel on standby near one of the old 16mm projectors.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Craig » Sun May 31, 2009 6:22 am

Promotions Guy - check out these links:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0251551/

http://www.tvarchive.ca/database/18792/ ... p/details/

http://www.memorabletv.com/canadianshows/canadastot.htm (You need to scroll 3/4 down the page to read the entry on Tidewater Tramp)

http://www.film.queensu.ca/cbc/Tid.html

http://www.friends.ca/news-item/1601 (This is an 2004 newspaper article from the Victoria Times Colonist. Tidewater Tramp is mentioned in this article)
Craig
Advanced Member

Return to TV History