Change for B-103 Kelowna?

Radio News from British Columbia

Change for B-103 Kelowna?

Postby Dan Sys » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:31 am

Today's I/C database release shows that CKOV 103.1 in Kelowna has changed (or will be changing) calls to CKQQ. Is Kelowna about to get their own version of The Q? Still business as usual this morning with Country B-103.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Re: Change for B-103 Kelowna?

Postby BossRadio » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:14 pm

Wouldn't suprise me,as Pattison didn't stay too many years with the "B" as country in Kamloops. The format has gone flat across the continent.
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby Doug » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:28 pm

That doesn't surprise me, either. The fact B-103 lasted nearly three years (this August, if memory serves me correctly) with a country music format is amazing. I don't believe "The Bullet" lasted that long with an FM country music format.

It's sad to see the CKOV call letters disappear. Have the call letters already changed, Dan, or are they just proposed? I'd actually like to see one of the local Pattison stations keep the CKOV call letters and the other one drop the CKLZ call letters. They're not using "The Lizard" branding anymore so it doesn't make sense to use CKLZ. What about CKPW or CJPW? Are those letters available?

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:23 pm

Once a new set of call letters appear on the I/C database that usually means the station has adopted those calls. However, I have seen entries in the past where both the old & new calls are listed, but the new calls were noted as "reserved". This is not the case with 103.1 in Kelowna, so I can only assume they are now CKQQ. I have listened to their stream on several occasions recently and have not heard anything that resembles a legal ID or any indication that a format change is on the horizon. Who knows what's going on there?

CJPW is currently available, but CKPW belongs to a community TV station in Tracadie,NS.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:08 am

Well, B-103 has now become Q103.1. I got quite a chuckle over PSR's statement that said "You heard it here first on PSR". As I recall I first broke this story back on January 8th on Radio West.

http://www.q1031.ca/theq/index.html
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:10 am

I checked reaction on the castanet forum on B-103 died - limited amount of concern expressed but found this comment on there to my liking. I think it speaks for alot of people on the subject of radio today. And.... I am not "damngrumpy"

Re: B103 is gone?
by damngrumpy » Yesterday, 10:58 pm

The truth is most of local radio is junk, bean counters look after programming and have for years.
All the formats are moving like revolving doors, rock, old rock, adult rock. hard rock. country
and news talk. Unfortunately they repeat the same songs over and over, the music doesn't go
back and play the older mainstream stuff. I like some of the new material and if these stations
would play a blend of old and new and show hosts had some personality things would be different.
I was a broadcaster years ago and I am disappointed the way things have gone.
For the most part, I now listen to news talk am 1150 and sometimes the CBC.
It is really too bad that the stations of today are limited and they can't live up to their potential
damngrumpy
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby sparky » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:42 am

Another brilliant move from the bean counters at Pattison. Didn't we go through this ritual a few years ago when Pattison dumped a country FM in Kamloops in favour of a rock and roll station of some sort?

Didn't the brilliant folks at the NL group launch a new FM Country station a few years later? Isn't that Country station now kicking Pattison's sorry butt in the city where it's radio division in headquartered?

Kelowna really needs yet another player in the already crowded rock playground. I'm not a big fan of Vista, but after this move by Jimmy's Goons, I'd love nothing more than to see Vista reformat The Juice and
hit Kelowna with the Country format they originally proposed on their license application. Like NL did in Kamloops, I'm sure Vista could give the Pattison gang a good whooping in Kelowna. Maybe Vista could even snag the historic CKOV call letters.
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:35 pm

Oh, sparky, I love the way you think! I'm not a country music fan but that'd be excellent, sweet poetic justice to Pattison! :)

Having said that, Q103 is not bad. It's now my second choice, behind K96.3 and bumping Silk FM to third. I just hate the brand. They're swapping one alphabet letter for another. It's too generic. What about something cool like "Smooth FM" or something? Doesn't Pattison have a station that calls itself "my <frequency>FM"? That'd be cool.

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:49 pm

Again, thanks for the excellent information, Dan! Are you still working in the radio industry, by the way, or are you retired or do you do engineering consulting work for the industry? Where do you get your latest call letter databases from Industry Canada? I find their website even harder to navigate now that the Conservative government rebranded and redesigned all federal government websites.

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:53 pm

Doug....this Industry Canada site has all the information you need. Download the "Broadcasting database files" and unzip them:
http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/sp_dgse-ps ... 00026.html
It states that the file is updated weekly, but in actual fact it's updated every weekday now around 9:00PM PST.

I'm not involved in the industry at all, just an outsider looking in who has been a radio fanatic since the 60's.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:16 am

Thanks again, Dan. :)

It also appears that Astral Media Radio Sales is no longer serving as national ad sales rep for the two Pattison stations, CKQQ-FM and CKLZ-FM. A big hoopla was made two years ago when they took them on.

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:21 am

Dan may never have been "in the business" but he understands what radio is all about better than most of the current crop of owners, GM's and Program Directors.
If only they could find 20 more like him to make up their "focus groups."
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:52 am

Other than saying that we are old and probably should be grandfathers....

Today's radio is programmed for ??? .....who and what age.

Now you could say that all stations have different demos they are attempting to attract.

Why is it - that of the dozens and dozens of stations - I cannot find any great programming or
show my loyalty.

Only the car is useful when it comes to radio. I like the platform - no tv, no computer, no phone.

In the home with internet available - I really like the silence. Maybe satellite? I have channels on the cable that I never listen to. I like the silence.

Maybe I am beyond the radio and closer to the grave. What about you?
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia