Grubby Thursday!

A radio site without audio is like a TV station with no pictures.

Grubby Thursday!

Postby radiofan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:08 am

Sometimes you have to wait a few years to finally get a copy of a song that you never got a copy of because you
didn't have a tape recorder at the time and casette machines were not all that common ... The song in question
was never pressed on vinyl .. the 'play' copy of it was likely on an old Fidelapac cartridge. CKLG Boss Jocks Fred
Latremouille and Roy Hennessy recorded a parody of the Rolling Stones' "Ruby Tuesday" .. it was called "Grubby
Thursday" .. Fred and Roy became FROYED and their song got lots of airplay on CKLG in the spring of 1967.

A year later, someone had tape rolling when Daryl B played "Grubby Thursday" as a CKLG Golden! That tape found
it's way to fellow radio historian OWEN COPPIN at Rock 101 some 40 years later. Thanks to Owen for sharing this
memory with us here at RadioWest,ca!

GRUBBY THURSDAY - Froyed

We're still on the lookout for copies of Roy Hennessy's earlier parodies .. The first was "Vancouver Creep", which
was a parody of Roger Miller's "Kansas City Star" and also from 1965 "Mrs Badbreath You've Got A Rotten Daughter",
which was Roy's version of "Mrs Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter" by Herman's Hermits. If you have copies of
these, we'd love to get copies!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Grubby Thursday!

Postby Steve Sanderson » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:33 am

Hey man!!...Like those guys could really sing man!
8-)
:D
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby Firedog » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:32 pm

It is absolutely amazing that this copy of Froyed - Grubby Thursday has finally surfaced. As a reel to reel fan from the 1960's, I can appreciate that whoever recorded the song, AND KEPT IT, has saved a bit of local radio history. It also proves that there must be other reel to reel owners out there who have stuff recorded on tape sitting in their closets and probably don't have a working tape recorder to play it on. There are people on this board willing and able to transfer tape to mp3 and/or cd to save and share this material before it is lost forever. A big thank-you to Owen for sharing Froyed with us. :cheers:
We are running in, when everybody else is running out.
Firedog
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:52 pm

Oh man, I just about fell over.

This was a real blast. Er, too Sixties?

Thanks for the post. So many memories and oh, how about the COMPRESSION on the LG mike chain!

WOW. Daryl B. too? It doesn't get much better than this.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Donald R » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:23 pm

Does this bring back a flood of memories??? I was one of a handful of radio hopefuls that took the National Institute of Broadcasting course taught by Frank Callaghan - in the basement of the studio at 1006 Richards. The year was 1967! Memory fades somewhat but I recall the AM studios in the rear of the building, a production studio complete with grand piano in the middle, and the newly minted FM studio (I believe JB Shayne was often behind the mic during our evening class times) in the front section of the station.

As I recall, the NIB students were working on some project in the production studio when the group that pulled this together, came into the studio and kicked us all out!

All I really remember is that Roy played Grubby Thursday on his morning show the very next day - over and over!

After I "graduated" the course I got a job in the printing industry where I stayed for 38 years - but never forgot those wonderful days with Frank and some of the DJs at CKLG.

Thanks for tweaking the memory bank.

Don....
Donald R
Advanced Member

Return to This week's feature aircheck(s)