What a DAWG!

Radio News from Ontario

What a DAWG!

Postby jon » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:00 am

DAWG FM: Ottawa’s Best Friend
Ottawa ON from Gary Perrin

TAKE A Classic Rock station, get rid of the AC/DC and Van Halen, replace it with Stevie Wonder or Aretha Franklin, and you’ve got 101.9 DAWG FM.

The brand new radio station brings the sound of rock and blues-rock to the Ottawa-Gatineau region as well as online.

101.9 DAWG FM combines the music of mainstream rock and blues rock artists with the best from Motown and R&B.

Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jeff Healey, Downchild Blues Band, George Thorogood, B.B. King, The Allman brothers, Van Morrison, Ray Charles, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, and Eric Clapton are just a sampling of the classic artists in its line-up.

Geoff Winter hosts the DAWG FM Breakfast show along with Laura Mainella. “This is an exhilarating time in Ottawa radio,” he says.

“Ottawa artists have been longing for a supportive, engaging forum to showcase their talent,” Mainella adds.

Operation Director Yves Trottier is proud of his new team.

“After going through hundreds of applications,” he explains, “it was obvious who we wanted to hire.”

DAWG FM’s listeners are between 25 and 54 with most between the ages of 35 and 54.

from Milkman
jon
Advanced Member

Re: What a DAWG!

Postby jon » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:17 am

The on-air staff:

L-R: Geoff Winter, Ali Kat, J-man, Carly D, Dylan Black and Laura Mainella

ref. - http://www.dawgfm.com
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:24 am

Ottawa is a little out of our territory, but Frank Torres (Skywords Traffic) applied for licenses for DAWG-FM stations all over the country, including Edmonton. I thought it would be interesting to see just what kind of animal it was.

When I first hit the site, they were playing "The Thrill is Gone" by B.B. King. Pretty obvious content, but it also happens to be one of my favourites of all time, in any genre. CKLG-FM played it heavily, and I'm sure that CKVN and KOL did, too. The full 5:25 album version. I don't recall there ever being a shorter single version, i.e. - the single was 5:25, too, wasn't it?
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:30 am

Frank tells me streaming will start with sign on Monday.
I'm looking forward to hearing a format not otherwise heard full time over the air in Canada.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:35 am

I wish them the best of luck! If they can make a success of this format, everyone's a winner!
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:55 am

Absolutely!

The 3 hour test loop they're running has far more texture and variety than I was expecting. It's a REALLY good listen.

There's a fine line between refreshing and novelty, but....an independent owner with a bold untried format can't be bad. This working would be great for the industry!
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Firedog » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:10 pm

B.B. King - The Thrill Is Gone was on Bluesway #61032 with a time of 3:55. The label states that it was "taken from LP-BLS-6037 "Completely Well."
We are running in, when everybody else is running out.
Firedog
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:35 pm

The station officially signed on at 7:30 a.m. Eastern this morning. But the Internet streaming is still not available from their web site.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:05 pm

I noticed THE DAWG is now streaming. Been listening for the past hour or so and I like what I'm hearing so far, lots of good Blues and R&B Classics. The only thing that puzzles me a bit is the fact that they refer to Ottawa as "The Blues Capital of Canada". Is it really?

http://dawgfm.com/player.htm
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby groundwave » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:38 pm

Dan Sys wrote:I noticed THE DAWG is now streaming. Been listening for the past hour or so and I like what I'm hearing so far, lots of good Blues and R&B Classics. The only thing that puzzles me a bit is the fact that they refer to Ottawa as "The Blues Capital of Canada". Is it really?

It could be they're referring to "the blues" as a state of depression. :)
groundwave
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:11 pm

Dan Sys wrote:I noticed THE DAWG is now streaming. Been listening for the past hour or so and I like what I'm hearing so far, lots of good Blues and R&B Classics. The only thing that puzzles me a bit is the fact that they refer to Ottawa as "The Blues Capital of Canada". Is it really?

Dan... Dan... Dan....

How many stations say that THEY'RE number-1...

You can say anything you like in radio whether its true or not. As far as they're concerned, Ottawa is the Blues Capital.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Return to Ontario