Merlin - anyone remember?

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Merlin - anyone remember?

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:40 pm

Merlin Gutensohn - who simply used the name "Merlin" on-air. I hosted his evening show at CJJC when he went on vacation in the summer of 1965. It was called "The International House of Music" and I think he originally did the show on CKLG. The format was an eclectic mix of folk, pop, jazz, and world music, with a fair amount of "easy listening" by Andre Kostelanetz, Percy Faith, Ray Conniff, and Mantovani. I was 16 and more into the Beatles, but filling in for Merlin expanded my musical tastes.

Fred Peabody

Had a request for more info on the whereabouts of Merlin
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: Merlin - anyone remember?

Postby paul hesketh » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:26 pm

Just came back to Radio West after a long hiatus.
Yes I wrorked with Merlin Gutensohn at CKLG in the old B.C. Tel building on 3rd Avenue in North Vancouver, which then housed CKLG.

Merlin hosted `The International House of Music. Names that come to mind during that era: Jack Webster;Bob Giles; Al Davidson;Lew Roskin;Terri Clarke;Elizabeth and Betsy Bowman;Frank Callaghan; Peter Allies et a lAll worked at CKLG.A change of format, to talk radio saw Merlin move to CJJC, Langley.

WOW, I noticed this post bears the name of Fred Peabody. Could this be the same F.P. that I had the pleasure I had of working with at CHTK Prince Rupert.Lost track of Fred.believe he worked for the Mother Corp, while I became an accountantélabour relations guy.
. Fred did early morning news while I hosted the a.m. show. Both of us worked with Leona Campagnolo
paul hesketh

Re: Merlin - anyone remember?

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:25 pm

Paul - looking for the background on this - so far no luck on how Peabody contacted me.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History