Ken Connors' memories of 'XL,'NL,'GP,CHEC,CJOC,CJME, CHED

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Ken Connors' memories of 'XL,'NL,'GP,CHEC,CJOC,CJME, CHED

Postby albertaboy4life » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:09 pm

albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Re: Ken Connors' memories of 'XL,'NL,'GP,CHEC,CJOC,CJME, CHE

Postby albertaboy4life » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:11 pm

Ken has posted a number of airchecks since my last visit. In addition to his own on-air and production work there are . . .

A number of 630 CHED '70s airchecks (sure wish this stuff wasn't so rare) featuring Bob McCord, Bob Layton, Chuck Chandler, KJ (Keith James, Jr.) and Wes Montgomery. OH how I loved Bob McCord's "CFCW could have Wes for $32.50 a week." Who knew what was to come.

There's a short clip of Greg Haraldson from '71 on the CKXL page. The CJME page has airchecks from Charlie West, Hart Kirsch, Mel Corey and Scott Miller.

The CJOC page features a couple of short ones with Rogers Radio Calgary's Kevin McKanna. While there's some of Wayne Barry's work on the CHEC page.

Thank you Ken!
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby groundwave » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:01 pm

From the CHED page:

The studios at that time were located at 100006-107 Street

I never realized Edmonton had stretched out so far northward! :xhat:

That address typo notwithstanding, it's all great stuff. I can recall every single one of those CHED and 'XL jocks from back in the day.
groundwave
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:40 am

There's a nod to RadioWest in the top right hand corner of Ken's web page at http://www.discoverthepeacecountry.com/ ... right.html
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:30 pm

I like the picture of Ken in the CJOC control room.
I had a few pictures of that room that Chief Engineer Casey MacDonald and I custom built back in the late '60's.
We built the entire control room and all the components out of cardboard first and then let all the jocks have input into where they wanted everything placed before we did the actual build.
Unfortunately, those pictures disappeared during my move to BC.
By the time Ken's picture was taken, the extra cart machines to the right of the board had been added to send separate commercials and promos to the Blairmore station, run for many years by my good friend Daryl Ferguson.
When I first arrived at CJOC, we were using an old '40's Gates tube board, fully butchered by an incompetent engineering staff, two old 16" RCA turntables as big as washing machines, two old RCA RT7A cart machines and two old Ampex 350s.
The new room featured the McCurdy console pictured, three Gates Criterion Cart machines, two Ampex 440s and two McCurdy turntables.
The RCA turntables ended up being custom made cart carousels, using film cans and 16" transcriptions as components.
Talk about scrounging!
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History