A little research at The Province would be good

What's happening in the world of Newspapers and Magazines?

A little research at The Province would be good

Postby Howaboutthat » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:43 pm

So the from page of today's, Feb 6 Province newspaper has a picture of the Queen of Esquimalt to highlight its BC Ferry rate increase story.
A quick Google search by the paper would have told it that the Esquimalt was decommissioned in 2008. :oops:
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Re: A little research at The Province would be good

Postby Steve Sanderson » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:25 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:So the from page of today's, Feb 6 Province newspaper has a picture of the Queen of Esquimalt to highlight its BC Ferry rate increase story.
A quick Google search by the paper would have told it that the Esquimalt was decommissioned in 2008. :oops:

That was on the " from" page...You say??
:tonguewaving:
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby Paul P » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:52 pm

Steve Sanderson wrote:
Howaboutthat wrote:So the from page of today's, Feb 6 Province newspaper has a picture of the Queen of Esquimalt to highlight its BC Ferry rate increase story.

At least he's posting something new and interesting sandclan, not just dead people.
Folks living on the island have a big stake in this monstrosity known as BC Ferries.
Being nice is my resolve - in 2012
Paul P
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:25 am

Paul P wrote:
Steve Sanderson wrote:

At least he's posting something new and interesting sandclan, not just dead people.
Folks living on the island have a big stake in this monstrosity known as BC Ferries.

Yes PaulyP...You should try posting something positive once in awhile, instead of just being a prick.
:argue:
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:24 am

That's obviously what the "P" stands for.
He's about to join "The Three Stooges" on my "Foe" list.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Paul P » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:28 am

Posting death notices is positive?
You never fail to rise to the bait. However, your foul language in a public forum is becoming rather tiresome. It would not be tolerated in other places. :boxer:

Mr. Cleaver. I think if you have a look at my posts, most have to do with the topic at hand.
Sandclan is the one who has not contributed anything constructive to this thread. In fact his first comment was nitpicking a typo in the original post.
Being nice is my resolve - in 2012
Paul P
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:13 am

The original post had to do with fact checking. The typo fell into the category of "People who live in glass houses ..."

On the subject of contributions, the obits give us pause to reflect on those made by the departed in question.

Everyone: back to your respective corners.
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:17 am

freqfreak2 wrote:The original post had to do with fact checking. The typo fell into the category of "People who live in glass houses ..."

On the subject of contributions, the obits give us pause to reflect on those made by the departed in question.

Everyone: back to your respective corners.

Christ! I just thought it was an interesting tidbit!
Ever tried posting anything from an iPhone that wants to use US spelling and words other than the ones you try to type?
But if we're going back to being picky, freak, your second para makes no sense. Maybe a word left out?
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:23 am

Howaboutthat wrote:Christ! I just thought it was an interesting tidbit!

It was, it's relevant and appreciated. I was just trying to cool the debate somewhat.

And it's too bad The Province can't explain away their error with an iPhone :)
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:39 am

Okay, here's the second paragraph deconstructed (you added that line in an edit which is why I didn't address it earlier):

Sandclan was accused of not being positive with his death notices and not contributing anything constructive (both those comments appear in many threads).

I'm suggesting the obits give us the chance to reflect on the lives lost and the contributions they made to culture.

Keying in on "contributions" was an exercise in parallel structure, a veiled pun if you will.

And that there was a typo in a post pointing out an error was, at the least, ironic and no harm was intended in drawing attention to that.
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby yathink » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:37 pm

freqfreak2 wrote:And that there was a typo in a post pointing out an error was, at the least, ironic and no harm was intended in drawing attention to that.

"Humor brings insight and tolerance. Irony brings a deeper and less friendly understanding."
Agnes Repplier
I can't give you a brain, but I can give you a diploma.
yathink
Advanced Member

Return to The Print Media