Your Updates for EdmontonBroadcasters.com

CJCA's Bob Arnold has died

Postby jon » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:57 am

Former CJCA morning host Bob Arnold has died
11:30 AM
Scott C. Bourgeois
10/8/2011
inews880.com

Long-time Edmonton radio man Bob Arnold has passed away.

Arnold worked as the morning announcer for CJCA Radio from the 1970's until he retired in the early 1990's.

Gord Whitehead worked with Arnold until the mid 80's. He says Bob was a lively personality.

"A very quick witted guy," Whitehead reminisces. "He always had a joke, one of those people that no matter what the scenario was he'd always come up with some kind of a wisecrack. They used to call him the king of puns and one-liners... and that was indeed true."

He says Arnold was a member of a dying breed of radio personality.

"Nowadays, it's a common thought amongst a lot of people that a lot of personality has left radio," explains Whitehead. "I think Bob was one of those people that did have a personality, a very distinct personality, a very warm, caring individual."

"He will be missed."

Arnold died September 29th, in Bonnyville. The family asks that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the Alberta Heart and Stroke Foundation, or the Canadian Diabetes Foundation. (scb)
jon
Advanced Member

Re: CJCA's Bob Arnold has died

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:07 am

Sad news indeed.
I was Bob's morning news man from '76 to '83 at CJCA and had the most fun with him.
The newsroom had a mic at the main desk that was always "hot" and Bob always encouraged me to jump in if I had something to say.
He was a master of puns and one liners and we had a ball together.
Another legendary broadcaster gone.
My sincere condolences to his family and friends.
You will be missed.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:24 pm

Mike Grant had this to say on the Edmonton Broadcasters Club Facebook page:
I worked with Bob at CJCA and I can't think of anyone else I enjoyed being around as much. He was always quick with the quip yet I also recall so many serious conversations he and I had. Recording commercials with him was always pure entertainment and I knew when I needed someone to call on, he was there. I recall his on-air antics and can't help but smile. I remember a parade concocted in the production control room that sounded so real on air that the Mayor called CJCA to find out why he hadn't been informed of the event and was he supposed to be there? Or the day that Canada went metric and Bob had Irene Madoche re-do all the time signatures to read as decimals. "CJCA time is now 44.6". The calls we got that day.... Bob was a true professional and an all-round great friend. He was part of a generation of on-air personalities that seems to have disappeared over the years. My wife Meryl and I shared some great times with Bob and Annette at their place and she joins me in sending condolences to his family.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:29 pm

Ed Mason writes:
There was a travelling circus visiting Edmonton and Bob and I ended
up in an elephant media race at the Londonderry Mall parking lot. These were
big elephants and the circus guys thought it would be funny if we each rode
just behind the ears like Tarzan did. We didn't know that every step taken
by the elephant would cause a shoulder to come up and threaten to push us
off. I was terrified that I'd fall and get stepped on. We held onto thick
leather straps. My elephant flexed his/her muscles and my fingers became
trapped between the strap and the elephant with no way to pull them out. The
race ended in a pre-arranged dead heat so each station could have bragging
rights. Bob's elephant decided to take a very long pee and...quick as a
bullet...he quipped: "Quite a race...and now mine's overheating".
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Buddy B » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:49 pm

Bob was also part of Dave Lyman's transition team that took CKXL Calgary from "quality" to Top 40 music back in the mid '60s. Althought I worked the other side of the clock from him and was a LOT (8 years lol) younger than him, I remember him as a great guy to share a board with. If my memory serves me correctly our line-up at the time was Ned Corrigal doing mornings, Bob on mid-day, Don Lloyd on PM drive, and myself 7 - midnight. At first we went off the air overnight, then added my understudy Wayne Bryant to do the graveyard shift. RIP Bob.
Be Good... Be Careful... Be Back...Keep Smilin Everybody....BYE NOW!!!!!
Buddy B

Return to Edmonton Broadcasters