CKWX's Easter and Christmas "Special Reports" Dramas

Bits and pieces of Radio History ... Features, sign ons, sign offs, format changes ... posting what we want!

CKWX's Easter and Christmas "Special Reports" Dramas

Postby Tape Splicer » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:13 am

I seem to recall that in the late '50's & '60's CKWX produced 30 minute dramatizations that told the biblical Easter and Christmas stories. As I recall these programs were a"You Are There" eye witness type drama. Very well produced theatre of the mind.I think station staff took the rolls of the principals in the stories. I'm wondering if there are copies of these shows somewhere? They would be good additions to "Christmas or Easter special program" postings here. For all to enjoy.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Re: CKWX's Easter and Christmas "Special Reports" Dramas

Postby CubbyCam » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:01 am

I don't recall there being an Easter one, but there were several variations of the Christmas special, called "Radio Bethlehem" or "Radio Bethlehem Reports". I have at least one version digitized and would be happy to share it if you'll let me know where to upload it to. The original script was written by The Rev. Rod Booth, who was media director for the United Church of Canada. I updated and adapted it once or twice with Rod's permission. Just about everyone who was in the WX news department had a role to play, as did several other on-air types. There was a lot of music in all versions... and was best listened to on Christmas Eve.
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:42 pm

Mike Cleaver was using FTP to upload to my site. He might be able to help. You can load it to BC Radio History.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:57 pm

Thanks Jack... Actually, I've uploaded two versions of "Radio Bethlehem Reports" and they should appear in time for Christmas.
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:48 pm

Gentlemen thank you for following up on a request. I know of a couple of people who will enjoy hearing this piece of local radio history again.
As for the Easter program I was thinking of it may have been something that was broadcast on XM or somewhere that became the "ear-worm" that caused this thread to be posted.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:34 am

Just some advance info on the shows. Uploaded two different versions of Radio Bethlehem... with two different casts.

The oldest... from 1968 or so was produced by Jim Nicholson and Cam McCubbin. Featuring the voices of Roy Morton, Cam McCubbin, Fred Straw, Barrie Clark, John West, Sandy Price, Jim Nicholson, Dave Roughan, Gene Kern and Ken Lundgren. Script by Rev. Rod Booth, United Church of Canada.

A later version was produced by Campbell McCubbin, adapted from the original script by Rod Booth. Featuring the voices of Brian Lord, Kim Calloway, Mike Killeen, Lisa DePoe, Roy Jacques, Robert Linden, Jim Birchard, Steve Ivings, Campbell McCubbin, Connie Watson, Veejay Chandra, Maureen Kirkbride, Gunny Neeland, David Tait and Dave Roughan.

And yes... that is the same Veejay Chandra who was featured doing silly dances on the JackFM tv spots. Veejay plays one of the three wise men, Melchior of Sheves. :-)
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:34 am

cubbycam; It is interesting to read the manes of those who lent their voices to these programs. I recognized about half of the names - and it is nice to see Mike doing well on the TV side.
When these programs are ready to go, where will the uploaded files be located? On Radio West, or BC Radio History?
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:38 am

Tape Splicer wrote:cubbycam; It is interesting to read the manes of those who lent their voices to these programs. I recognized about half of the names - and it is nice to see Mike on the TV side. when these programs are ready to listen to, where will the uploaded prorams be located? On Radio West or BC Radio History?

Ted tells me they'll be on RadioWest... and if BCRadioHistory wants them, they're welcome to them as well.
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:01 pm

Unlike Costco where they start celebrating Christmas in August, we'll wait until early December to post these shows from Cam. :santa5:
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:59 pm

CubbyCam wrote:A later version was produced by Campbell McCubbin, adapted from the original script by Rod Booth. Featuring the voices of Brian Lord, Kim Calloway, Mike Killeen, Lisa DePoe, Roy Jacques, Robert Linden, Jim Birchard, Steve Ivings, Campbell McCubbin, Connie Watson, Veejay Chandra, Maureen Kirkbride, Gunny Neeland, David Tait and Dave Roughan.

Cam, when in the '80s was that, anyway? About '85? I don't remember Ivings being there there very long.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:14 pm

cart_machine wrote:
CubbyCam wrote:A later version was produced by Campbell McCubbin, adapted from the original script by Rod Booth. Featuring the voices of Brian Lord, Kim Calloway, Mike Killeen, Lisa DePoe, Roy Jacques, Robert Linden, Jim Birchard, Steve Ivings, Campbell McCubbin, Connie Watson, Veejay Chandra, Maureen Kirkbride, Gunny Neeland, David Tait and Dave Roughan.

Cam, when in the '80s was that, anyway? About '85? I don't remember Ivings being there there very long.

cArtie.

Cam, of course, will know for sure, but I'd place #2 around 88? All those folks were there when I first showed up. (I think)
I only spent about 2 weeks on Burrard before we made the move to Ash.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:15 pm

cart_machine wrote:

cArtie.

I think you're right cArtie... around 85 or 86. Steve was an original member of the morning team from about 1984 on... and can't remember when he left. He's doing stage shows and nightclub stuff in Toronto now.
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:21 pm

RadioFan tells me it's about time to post these broadcasts, so here we go. Over the years, there were at least three different versions of "Radio Bethlehem Reports." Here are two of them. The first from 1968 or so was produced by Jim Nicholson and Campbell McCubbin. Featuring the voices of Roy Morton, Cam McCubbin, Fred Straw, Barrie Clark, John West, Sandy Price, Jim Nicholson, Dave Roughan, Gene Kern and Ken Lundgren. Script by Rev. Rod Booth, United Church of Canada. Here it is, as introduced by Rod Booth:

http://www.radiowest.ca/xmas/radiobethlehemorig.mp3

This next one was produced by Campbell McCubbin, adapted from the original script by Rod Booth. Featuring the voices of Brian Lord, Kim Calloway, Mike Killeen, Lisa DePoe, Roy Jacques, Robert Linden, Jim Birchard, Steve Ivings, Campbell McCubbin, Connie Watson, Veejay Chandra, Maureen Kirkbride, Gunny Neeland, David Tait and Dave Roughan.
For some reason, this one has about 15 seconds of silence before the program begins. It's introduced by Brian Lord:

http://www.radiowest.ca/xmas/radiobethlehem.mp3

And yes... that is the same Veejay Chandra who was featured doing silly dances on the JackFM tv spots. Veejay plays one of the three wise men, Melchior of Sheves.

If you find yourself with an hour or two to spare between now and Christmas... sit back and enjoy... and Merry Christmas to all on Radio West. Another great year of keeping on contact with old friends and finding new ones.
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:02 pm

Thank you Cubby - I am set to listen. Merry Christmas to one and all - hope to be involved closer to the day
and might find time for one of our radio quizes.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:39 pm

Thank you Cubbycam - I am sure that these will be very enjoyable listening... my wife has an uncle who is 106 years old who is a retired Salvation Army officer. I know that he'll enjoy these along with christmas music from the sally ann that I've downloaded. again thanks.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Audio Memories