Happy Birthday/Retirement John Sykes

Re: Happy Birthday John Sykes

Postby johnsykes » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:35 am

To one and all, many thanks. My birthday resolution - to be nice to everyone on the list (most of the time). It's not so much that I still love radio - its more like the people whom I've had the pleasure of working with....meeting...or look forward to meeting sometime in the near future.

:occasion5:
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:29 pm

Well John maybe you can make the next burger chomp .......like you use to. If all these smiling faces
showed up - it would be a good time for sure.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:49 pm

I won't have an excuse to avoid the next meeting. My last day working at the golf course is Monday....then it is true retirement. Will be into nothing more than playing games.... :nike:
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:03 pm

johnsykes wrote:Will be into nothing more than playing games.... :nike:

Joe South 1969! Was I fast enough? Did I win the prize?

:oops: Excuse me, I guess this isn't the music trivia section.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:16 pm

anotherwpgguy....thanks for Ebb Tide.....actually, I really like Mantovani's version better. I've heard both recently on Sirius channel 69 Escape. Funny thing, many relate to this wonderful music as being elevator music. My father sold Muzak for many years and was the first to get background music installed in a Canadian bank. He was an amazing Cathedral organist in Ripon, England before we came to Canada.....and he couldn't read a note of music. Wished I had his talent for music.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:11 pm

John, enjoy it again... "Ebb tide" by mantovani"s orchestra...(From Youtube)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsZfBiNDAEE
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Happy Birthday/Retirement John Sykes

Postby jon » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:32 pm

A belated Happy Birthday and an early Happy Retirement! Hopefully, the timing of the two greetings even each other out.

I'm assuming Abbotsford will remain your retirement home. I wouldn't think otherwise except a local Edmonton Broadcasters Club member finally retired from the business he had founded, and promptly moved to England! Despite being here in Edmonton for at least 30 years. I realize that would come as no surprise to the Edmonton Haters out there, but we have had nearly as many former Edmonton broadcasters retire here as those who retire elsewhere, mostly Vancouver Island, the Okanagan or the Lower Mainland, in that order of popularity. Admittedly "where the kids are" often overrides other considerations.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:26 pm

I had wild dreams of winning "something" on that Lotto Max last night....what a joke! I'm a firm believer that the lottery system has changed for the worse since Tom Gibney and Fannie Lamajerie were doing "live" draws of 6/49.

So, it'll be AbbotsFORD for me for some time yet. Four grandkids in Mission and two in Cloverdale add to the need to remain here. So no palm trees, sandy beach and warm turquoise ocean for us for a while.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Re: Happy Birthday/Retirement John Sykes

Postby Dan Sys » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:24 pm

So no palm trees, sandy beach and warm turquoise ocean for us for a while.

Oh come on John, you can always go to Mill Lake.....close your eyes and make believe.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Re: Happy Birthday/Retirement John Sykes

Postby johnsykes » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:08 pm

Yeah but the bikinis aren't quite the same.
Seriously, we haven't been able to walk "the lake" for months....wife not doing well....her stroke 17 years ago is now causing more trouble. Warm weather could be the answer.
I think I may be venting my frustrations at times when I spout off in the wrong direction. Hence my resolution to be nicer at times.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Welcome to RadioWest.ca