Self publishing

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Self publishing

Postby PMC » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:12 pm

Some of you may see opportunity here...

http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/2012/01/100000.html

Amazing numbers...
PMC

Re: Self publishing

Postby jon » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:42 pm

Actually, even as a (paid) published writer of over 200 technical journal "How To" articles, I find it even more interesting to compare this with Music. My former co-worker just came out with his (current group's) first CD a few months ago. Lets say he tried to follow this approach of self-publishing, say, on iTunes. Even if his music became fairly popular, the chance of him making this kind of money is very unlikely.

Why? Because the vast majority of Music is distributed (in a literal sense, not in the business sense of "legal channels") in a manner that gives no royalties to the creators.

Compare that to the PMC link's owner: there is no widespread distribution of books that involves freely copying Kindle material without rewarding the creator of the book.

I don't know that much about it, but it appears to me like the book publishing industry has got it all "right" to almost as a great a degree as the music industry has got it all "wrong". In fairness, Publishers had a huge amount of time to learn from the Music Industry's failures to address the digital world: more than a decade longer.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:27 pm

The writer has a market, and he has material. As he points out, a publisher can reject it, but the net doesn't.

As for your comment on who has it right or wrong, publishers will survive. The music and video industry will either change their business model or die. The artist can now do it all from a server with a bunch of geeks fine tuning the cash register :tonguewaving:
PMC

Postby jon » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:47 pm

PMC wrote:The artist can now do it all from a server with a bunch of geeks fine tuning the cash register.

OK, I don't see your point here. Aren't self-publishing artists under the same disadvantage that "Record Companies" are? There is no real way to stop the widespread copying of music, but who even knows how to make a copy of a Kindle or Nook book?
jon
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:06 pm

jon wrote:
PMC wrote:The artist can now do it all from a server with a bunch of geeks fine tuning the cash register.

OK, I don't see your point here. Aren't self-publishing artists under the same disadvantage that "Record Companies" are? There is no real way to stop the widespread copying of music, but who even knows how to make a copy of a Kindle or Nook book?

There are no accurate records on music piracy. Many claims are made, with guesses being made. It is easy to stretch the numbers with speculation.

Who is doing the copying and who is profiting from it.... if someone makes a copy of a CD and gives it away to their sister or uncle, that can be called piracy, but their is no profit. If someone is mass producing music CD's and peddling them in stores as originals, that is real piracy. These types of dealers would be easy to find if the businesses that sell the product reported them, but would they, when they can profit from the pirated CD's.

Your average geek or consumer is not a threat to the entertainment industry. The threat comes from the businesses that clone product for profit and the businesses that support it.
PMC

Postby PMC » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:51 pm

Forgot to mention this in the previous...

You put forward who, being able to copy with Kindle... well Amazon has done one better if you want to play with Kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... =200203720

Gotta love a company that believes in open source.
PMC

Postby jon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:59 pm

It is also interesting to see how cheaply his Kindle books are sold for on Amazon.com. Yesterday, "The List" was on sale for $2.89 and today it is back to $3.99 ("List"). Paperback is $11.97 at amazon.com, $13.95 in retail stores.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Computer & Technology News