Calgary PPM Nov 26, 2012 - Feb 24, 2013

Calgary PPM ratings 12+

Calgary PPM Nov 26, 2012 - Feb 24, 2013

Postby radiofan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:33 am

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Calgary PPM Nov 26, 2012 - Feb 24, 2013

Postby CKNF » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:44 am

I’ve been meaning to comment on this thread for a while, but I’ve been overwhelmed with a ton of work lately.

I see quite the interesting shift in listening habits in Calgary for this book. Newstalk 770 is up a full point back to their usual 10.x share. A few other interesting turns of events as well:

CHFM is up by almost two full points. :shock: Good for them.
Also, it looks like Virgin 98.5’s loss was AMP’s gain. From where I’m sitting, it certainly doesn’t look like the rebranding to Virgin has helped them win any more listeners, which again, begs the question; do listeners really care as much about branding as the corporates seem think they do?

Classic Rock Q-107 takes a bit of a hit, but I wonder if that loss went to The Eagle 100.9? CKUV’s numbers aren’t listed here (being that it’s not technically a Calgary station) so could that flip to Classic Rock be helping CKUV?

CHUP seems to be holding its own, floating at around a 4 share, however, I’m sure that hasn’t been management’s intent. Is it really that hard to program a Classic Hits station? (Genuine question of interest and not a smart-ass remark)
I could be wrong here, but seeing as terrestrial radio mostly attracts older listeners these days, I would think that a Classic Hits/Up-tempo Oldies format would be doing a lot better than that. I also think that while CFXL has held a respectable 7-8 share, they could do better if they got rid of the morning brain damage. It certainly helped CHFM’s cause…no tears of sorrow there I’m sure.

CFAC has crept up from out of the very bottom. Must be Flames season. However, with the abysmal performance the Flames are giving us this season and an almost certainty that they will not be making the playoffs, it appears that this tiny upswing will be temporary.

Then there’s CKMX….ouch. The gradual slide continues for this station. Here’s a great AM with a great signal, and it’s just seemingly going to waste. I really hope someone over at Astral decides at some point soon to do something with 1060. I still believe and hold hope that a well programmed (and that’s the key right there or otherwise forget it) AM music station can still do reasonably well. Classic Country is never going to draw a large audience, even in a market like Calgary. Flipping it to comedy would only be a small Band-Aid that won’t stay on for very long in my honest opinion. At this point, it almost seems that anything would help…even if that means a change in ownership for this station.

Any thoughts?
CKNF
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:46 pm

If and when Bell takes over Astral I'm willing to bet that CKMX becomes TSN Radio 1060.....same in Edmonton with CFRN.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby CKNF » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:42 am

Hey Dan,

Once again thanks for your well educated insight and I have no doubt that you are probably right.

One plus going for 1060 if they do flip to sports...they seem to have a much better signal than CFAC and that may even win them some broadcasting rights and perhaps a few more listeners. Who knows? However, I still think it's turf that is too small to battle over, especially in this market. Just my thoughts.
CKNF
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:32 am

I'm still waiting for somebody to do a decent oldies/classic/ba-da-boop-whatever. ('60's-'80's)
And getting older while I do so.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:45 am

pave wrote:I'm still waiting for somebody to do a decent oldies/classic/ba-da-boop-whatever. ('60's-'80's)
And getting older while I do so.

Pave

Check out Fab 94.3 in Winnipeg http://www.fab943.com/

60's and 70's Oldies .. and not the same old burnt out tunes 7 x a day! You be shocked to discover that Roy Orbison had hits other than Pretty Woman ... Satisfaction wasn't the only hit for The Stones,
Those 4 guys from Liverpool actually had a bunch of hits ... reminds me of a couple of great Oldies stations that Calgary had in the late 1980s!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:00 pm

radiofan wrote:Those 4 guys from Liverpool actually had a bunch of hits ... reminds me of a couple of great Oldies stations that Calgary had in the late 1980s!

Yeah, I'd forgotten how good Ringo was -- as a singer -- during his days with The Beatles. I heard their version of "Honey Don't" this morning on Deep Tracks (Sirius/XM).

Now, there is a song I don't think I've ever heard played as an Oldie ever, except perhaps on a very memorable 66-CFR's Sunday morning Beatles show the one time they did two hours of nothing but songs that The Beatles sung but DIDN'T write.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:36 pm

Hi Everyone,
Just thought I would post a comment on the ratings for Calgary. I see at least two of the top 5 stations are AM, CHQR 770 and CBR 1010. When I lived in Calgary in the 80s I thought CBR did a decent job of local programming for Calgary. Also liked what QR 77 was doing then too, some great remote broadcasts that I heard etc... I think someone I knew might have been responsible for some of them!!! Great job RadioFan!

Regarding the comment about great oldies stations. I have not listened to FAB FM in Winnipeg yet but will check it out RadioFan. It sounds interesting. Pave here are some suggestions if you want to try listening online to radio station streaming audio! Quite a few of us on Radio West really like WLNG FM 92.1 Sag Harbor, New York at the east end of Long Island. They are amazing and if you want to hear lots of neat jingle station IDs between the great selection of oldies and Doo-Wop check them out. Other stations as I have mentioned in other posts are KRUZ FM CKRU 100.5 Peterborough, Ontario, listening to them right now and they are playing a great Aretha Franklin oldies tune! They play more recent oldies from the 90s too but older stuff as well and it is an interesting mix with a lot of good tunes and great local info. as well. New Radio West member Gordo could probably describe the music selection even better! By the way folks he does a great job on the air weekday afternoons from 3 PM to 6 PM, if you haven't heard him on-air give a listen to KRUZ FM 100.5 Peterborough, Ontario. The other station that I really like for vintage oldies going way back just like in the song Troglidyte by the Jimmy Castor Bunch (Theres a 45 of the Day for you RadioFan to present). Excuse my spelling of it!! Anyway its WHVW 950 Hyde Park, New York owned by independent operator Pirate Joe (or J.P) Ferraro, they play an absolutely amazing selection of familiar and obscure flashback tunes of rock, country, blues, novelty, big band etc.. going back to the 1920s and 1930s. If you like a lot of old train tunes (or songs) you can hear them every weekday on Pirate Joes Vintage Country, Blues and Rock Extravaganzo 3 PM to 6 PM Weekdays Eastern Time. Usually he plays all 78 rpms Live on Turntables at WHVW 950. They just started streaming online at the end of January 2012 and got a brand new Facebook page on Monday, March 11, 2013, nice photos of the station studios etc...

They are a commercial station as well. All local all the time, when not live they use Murray the Machine which is their computer automation system all locally programmed! Some of the songs I have heard on them are very funny too, old blues and country numbers from the 30s and 40s and 50s which had me really laughing! Its quite an experience listening, definitely not boring even if you don't like all the music. I have heard J.P. play Elvis, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry and other rockers live on his show weekdays from 78 rpm records, a lot of the records sound in very good condition for 78 rpms. Anyway lets see besides all that another oldies station which plays quite a bit of Doo-wop etc. is WGHT 1500 Pompton Lakes, New Jersey and they stream. There are others but that gives some additional info.. Oh before I forget one dj that does a fantastic afternoon and evening oldies show live with wide selection is Freddy Vette at CJBQ 800 Belleville, Ontario. CJBQ is not an oldies station but has more or less a variety format with emphasis on country but Freddys show is all oldies and rock with much lesser heard tunes played. I think he takes live requests too. Its on weekday afternoons to 7 PM Eastern Time I think on CJBQ 800.

It would be nice to see a real great oldies station start up in the Calgary area. Take care everyone and good listening to you!

All the best from Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:33 am

Thanks for those options, Eldon. I'll be checking them out regularly.

And yes, indeed, radiofan pulled my chestnuts out of the fire more than once when we were doing mornings together at QR-77. So long as he was riding the board and producing, smoke breaks in the stairwell were still possible, too.

Meanwhile - and this goes for any oldies or classics station - they are all missing the boat in their jock presentation in that today's air-talent are, for the most part, in the locked-down position. This may not be an unreasonable strategy, but it certainly doesn't do anything that an audience would find more appealing. ('Course, that could be said for any contemporary music-station, as well.)

I still insist: a great oldies/classics station could own a market. So, what I am really referencing are lost opportunities.
pave
Advanced Member

Return to Calgary PPM May 30, 2022 - August 28,2022