Global Vancouver reverses long-time newroom policy?

News from the world of Television

Global Vancouver reverses long-time newroom policy?

Postby J Kendrick » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:33 pm

Going back to Cameron Bell's time as News Director in the Burnaby TV newsroom, it had long been the policy at BCTV News... and now Global Vancouver... to cut off the reporters' sign-offs from all of their news stories.

Now, after all these long years, Global Vancouver's reporters are back to signing off their news stories for the first time in decades.

Is this sudden change in a long-standing newsroom policy somehow connected to this new "BC1" broadcast?
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Re: Global Vancouver reverses long-time newroom policy?

Postby PMC » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:02 am

J Kendrick wrote:Going back to Cameron Bell's time as News Director in the Burnaby TV newsroom, it had long been the policy at BCTV News... and now Global Vancouver... to cut off the reporters' sign-offs from all of their news stories.

Now, after all these long years, Global Vancouver's reporters are back to signing off their news stories for the first time in decades.

Is this sudden change in a long-standing newsroom policy somehow connected to this new "BC1" broadcast?

From what I have seen over the years, all the pre-recorded reports have sign offs. When live, the reporter is verbally acknowledged. The usual format etc.
PMC

Postby J Kendrick » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:13 am

PMC wrote: From what I have seen over the years, all the pre-recorded reports have sign offs. When live, the reporter is verbally acknowledged. The usual format etc.

Until this past week, Global/BCTV has always clipped the signoffs from all news reports broadcast on the local station, a policy that has continued since the Cameron Bell era.

Now, suddenly, their reporters are all being heard signing off (even Mike McCardell)... something that the Burnaby newsroom hasn't done for years...
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:08 pm

J Kendrick wrote:
PMC wrote: From what I have seen over the years, all the pre-recorded reports have sign offs. When live, the reporter is verbally acknowledged. The usual format etc.

Until this past week, Global/BCTV has always clipped the signoffs from all news reports broadcast on the local station, a policy that has continued since the Cameron Bell era.

Now, suddenly, their reporters are all being heard signing off (even Mike McCardell)... something that the Burnaby newsroom hasn't done for years...

Will this be the five minute argument or the full half hour ? :orclown:

Some names that would agree with me... John D, Aaron M, another is Keith B in Victoria.

Why is this an issue with you ? Why would it be an issue ? As a reporter, your name is a contact point for the audience, as is the news or sports director's name.
PMC

Postby former tv guy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:25 pm

Sorry PMC, as much as it pains me to agree with Kendrick, he's right.
Global BC, BCTV, has not had reporter signoffs, whether live, or recorded, since Cam Bell was running things. They even clipped the signoffs from US network reporters.
The signoffs now are new and coincide with the launch of BC1.

Global National has always had signoffs.

I have heard that even reporters at CHBC in Kelowna are now doing 'Global News' signoffs, instead of CHBC ones which they've always done.
former tv guy
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:38 pm

former tv guy wrote:Sorry PMC, as much as it pains me to agree with Kendrick, he's right.
Global BC, BCTV, has not had reporter signoffs, whether live, or recorded, since Cam Bell was running things. They even clipped the signoffs from US network reporters.
The signoffs now are new and coincide with the launch of BC1.

Global National has always had signoffs.

I have heard that even reporters at CHBC in Kelowna are now doing 'Global News' signoffs, instead of CHBC ones which they've always done.

I am guessing that the 11pm slot uses Global National format, while the 6pm cast was the dictates of Mr. Bell. Was there any logic or reasoning attached to this clipping... 10 stories would only get a 20 second recovery in time... or was the reasoning something other than time.

`Global News' does have a nice ring to it...
PMC

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:33 pm

Cutting the sign offs and the useless "thanks for doing what you're paid for" drivel at the end of the report does save time, enough during the cast to add a few more stories.
More Just-in Barfer, Lindsay Lohan, etc.
Stuff you really need to know.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:08 pm

My thinking - if the reporter is introduced no need for a sign off.

Many times the announcer would say....now to city hall and the sign off would be Carl Waiz reporting

That was in radio - but I am living in the past

I liked doing sign offs - it was a signature, a byline, recognition or the identification of an idiot ;-)
LOL
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:30 pm

Jack Bennest wrote:My thinking - if the reporter is introduced no need for a sign off.

Many times the announcer would say....now to city hall and the sign off would be Carl Waiz reporting

That was in radio - but I am living in the past

I liked doing sign offs - it was a signature, a byline, recognition or the identification of an idiot ;-)
LOL

I won't say a word. I'll just sit here and smirk and probably piss myself.

:cat2:
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:34 pm

kat wrote: probably piss myself

:cat2: have strong bladders kittie - I am glad you enjoyed the post. :worthybow:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:01 pm

Mike Cleaver wrote:Cutting the sign offs and the useless "thanks for doing what you're paid for" drivel at the end of the report does save time, enough during the cast to add a few more stories.
More Just-in Barfer, Lindsay Lohan, etc.
Stuff you really need to know.

I was looking on the removal from a production side. The ending could come as a surprise to the anchor, if the anchor is unaware of the story and script doesn't supply it.

Every time I see the mix of red and green for the Global ID, I think Christmas returns and a mislabled mp4 file.
PMC

Postby Mike Cleaver » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:43 pm

Most of the stuff that shows up on the prompter comes as a surprise to the anchor.
There's one guy on there who has that frightened "deer in the headlights" look on his face whenever he's on.
Can you tell I'm reading from a prompter?
Before there were prompters, you worked from a double spaced typed paper script on your desk.
You learned how to have your eyes at least one line ahead of your mouth so you could maintain some eye contact with the camera and the viewers.
Nowadays, if the prompter dies, the hilarity ensues as the anchor either clams up or attempts to ad-lib something.
Even those who have been doing it for years get that look of horror on their faces.
There used to be paper scripts on the desk but those too, seem to have disappeared in favour of a laptop but that's usually on Facebook or Twitter, not following the script as a backup.
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Roger Pedacter » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:51 pm

Are you still teaching at BCIT, Mike?
Roger Pedacter
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:41 pm

Nope, just did a semester filling in for Randy Taylor while he did his Phd.
I don't think they'd call me back because I actually failed a student.
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen