Sun News Network Wants You to Pay for It

News from the world of Television

Re: Sun News Network Wants You to Pay for It

Postby PMC » Tue May 14, 2013 2:04 pm

The internet is full of dynamics in social changes. There is old school, and new school in a sense.

Old school could control the message. New school takes that away. Old school doesn't like that, and regardless of what is done to stop new school, the times have changed, and so have the people. Better educated and able to discern the truth from fiction, because of the inter-communication offered by using a network.

Some of the old school media continues to believe that their programming should be prior to internet use. Those in the old media that have adapted to the internet by seeing it as another carrier, and one that interacts, will survive.

The internet gives the consumer the choice of when to view and what content. If outlets like Sun tv want to survive, then they need to change !

Pave, the people with the wires are the true winners. Cable and telcos win if you watch tv or use the internet.
PMC

Postby pave » Tue May 14, 2013 2:16 pm

Even the "people with the wires" don't and won't be able to maintain anything like the monopoly they have been enjoying. I'll take "new school".
As to Dirk's earlier comment: Sun News is being shut out of a free-access, free enterprise market. As such, it doesn't even have an opportunity to compete - unlike the government-fed commie corps.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Tue May 14, 2013 3:28 pm

Pave you need to relax and release the hostility `unlike the government-fed commie corps' :lol:

The rat race wants a social democracy.
PMC

Postby pave » Tue May 14, 2013 4:50 pm

Chilled, I am, PMC.
What I was doing in that comment was mirroring the rhetoric of other posters who take their criticisms of Sun News to just such extremes.
I figure all sides should be invited to participate through available cable systems, have their kick at the cat and find out if there is enough viewing out here to support them. After all, that is the true test.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Thu May 16, 2013 11:54 pm

A new twist on Sun tv wanting the CRTC to be in their favour.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/mike-duf ... -1.1285555

This is turning into a toilet of details...
PMC

Postby Dan Sys » Fri May 17, 2013 9:34 am

I find it interesting that when Bell Media asked Harper and his goons to intervene on the CRTC's decision to reject the Bell/Astral deal this past Fall this was the statement issued from Industry Minister Christian Paradis:

"The Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission is an independent body that makes its own decisions. The CRTC operates at an arm’s length from the government".

Well that statement certainly contradicts what we've been hearing the past few days about Conservative boneheads (not just Duffy) influencing and bullying the CRTC into rubber stamping the approval for this ridiculous application from Sun TV.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby isthisthingon » Fri May 17, 2013 11:30 am

HA! Are you suggesting the Liberals never stooped (repeatedly) to such unseemly practises?
isthisthingon
Advanced Member

Postby mccrady » Fri May 17, 2013 11:38 am

It's time the tall foreheads at the CRTC realized what century we're in and scrapped the outdated notion of basic cable or any other channel bundle.
They've outlived their usefulness in this digital workd.

There should be no such thing as mandatory carriage. I should be able to cherry-pick and pay for what my wife and I want to see and nothing else. Ninety percent of what's available on my Shaw receiver is of no interest to us. We never watch it. And we shouldn't have to pay for it.
mccrady
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri May 17, 2013 12:04 pm

mccrady wrote:It's time the tall foreheads at the CRTC realized what century we're in and scrapped the outdated notion of basic cable or any other channel bundle.
They've outlived their usefulness in this digital workd.

There should be no such thing as mandatory carriage. I should be able to cherry-pick and pay for what my wife and I want to see and nothing else. Ninety percent of what's available on my Shaw receiver is of no interest to us. We never watch it. And we shouldn't have to pay for it.

Without arguing about the mandate itself, I believe that the CRTC could accomplish the general concept they have of ensuring Canadians are given a Canadian alternative to all things American by doing two things:
  1. Go back to Mandatory Carriage ONLY including local OTA stations; and
  2. Force cable and satellite companies to provide one or more Canadian alternatives, when they exist, for each U.S. channel someone wants to subscribe to
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Fri May 17, 2013 12:08 pm

HA! Are you suggesting the Liberals never stooped (repeatedly) to such unseemly practises?

Maybe so, but none of those instances come close to what we have happening now. The true colours are emerging from a federal government who appear to condone the hatred, racism, and bigotry that this outfit pumps out to the Canadian public. There is no room in the broadcasting industry (or otherwise) in this country for such an organization period! Case closed.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby isthisthingon » Fri May 17, 2013 12:32 pm

My reference was to unacceptable government interference in general. Sun TV is a worthless entity that should do a quick FTB.
isthisthingon
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to On the small screen