Just a Whisk Away from Wosks

A look back at various radio stations

Just a Whisk Away from Wosks

Postby jon » Wed May 15, 2013 7:54 am

Anyone remember who used the slogan "Just a Whisk Away from Wosks" in their radio ads in the Vancouver market?

An old DX friend and his mother were just pondering that one.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Just a Whisk Away from Wosks

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed May 15, 2013 8:52 am

No, but I vaguely recall a jingle that went something like: "We're off to see the wizard. The wonderful wizard of Wosks".

I also remember being advised in the form of song that "There's not a single suit for sale at Murray Goldman's".
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed May 15, 2013 9:23 am

My inital thought was correct, just confirmed by John Ashbridge ...

Murray Goldman used the "Just a whisk away from Wosk's" line.

His Hastings Street store in Vancouver and Columbia Street store in New Westminster were both very close to Wosk's.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Donald R » Thu May 16, 2013 9:54 pm

One of my all time favourites was (wolf whistle here) - Your Haberdasher must be FRED ASHER!
Donald R
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri May 17, 2013 6:36 am

And let's not forget Broadway Credit Clothiers, 50 short paces west of Main.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Fillinguy » Sat May 18, 2013 9:29 am

I still occasionally recall the Woodwards $1.49 day jingle (whistle) It creeps out of my subconcious now and then... Rhythm Pals wasn't it?
Fillinguy
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Sat May 18, 2013 5:35 pm

Friday afternoon, I was walking north on Abbott (outside the salubrious Abbott Mansion where a DXer once lived as our Man in Edmonton will recall) and a guy was explaining to his female companion that the repositioned tower supporting the Big W was an old-fashioned radio broadcasting antenna!

I didn't have the heart to show him up in front of his girl.
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Sat May 18, 2013 6:32 pm

It may not be music to your ears, but who could forget Harry Hammer and THE Warehouse!
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sun May 19, 2013 8:18 am

Ouch! If Harry Hammer could grate on your nerves, Dorwin Baird for Brown Bros. Ford could smooth them out!! :groovy:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun May 19, 2013 12:32 pm

xwdcatvb wrote:a guy was explaining to his female companion that the repositioned tower supporting the Big W was an old-fashioned radio broadcasting antenna! I didn't have the heart to show him up in front of his girl.

Not to argue but to confuse here is a snippet from a Vancouver Sun article of September 2006 - "Someone has placed a small W on top of an antenna sitting on the roof of the 1903 structure. It echoes Woodward's famous Big W neon sign, which is now in a warehouse waiting to be refurbished so it can be reinstalled when the new project is complete.

The Eiffel Tower-like structure the Big W sat on, though, is gone. So is the part of the building that the tower sat on."
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Sun May 19, 2013 5:59 pm

Hmmm.. what antenna is The Sun talking about?

The Eiffel-like tower with the Big W which was located above the western extent close to Cordova Street was dismantled, and a high-rise apartment block is now there. But AFAIK, that Woodwards' tower was never used for broadcast purposes.

The Big W was eventually re-positioned onto a new tower erected atop the refurbished main dep't store building on the Hastings/Abbott section of the site.
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun May 19, 2013 9:24 pm

skyvalleyradio wrote:Ouch! If Harry Hammer could grate on your nerves, Dorwin Baird for Brown Bros. Ford could smooth them out!! :groovy:

Sky ... wasn't Dorwin the voice of Dueck on Broadway? Bill Good Sr was the voice of Brown Bros Ford.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Sun May 19, 2013 9:51 pm

I can't really believe it was Bill Good Sr.....maybe it could be clarified by someone else.
I could call B.B. Ford and ask which Ad outfit they had in the 70's-80's etc. All I remember is it was a booming voice...grating..doubt if that would be Sir Bill!
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Mon May 20, 2013 8:05 am

radiofan - I think you're right about Bill Good Sr doing the Brown Bros ads...I was very young at the time and remember how impressed I was with Dorwin's deep baritone voice, which has always stuck with me :phew:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon May 20, 2013 9:21 pm

johnsykes wrote:I can't really believe it was Bill Good Sr.....maybe it could be clarified by someone else.
I could call B.B. Ford and ask which Ad outfit they had in the 70's-80's etc. All I remember is it was a booming voice...grating..doubt if that would be Sir Bill!

John - In the era we were talking about Murray Goldman etc, Bill Good Sr was the voice of Brown Bros .. probably from the mid 50's thru the early 1970s.

In the 90s and beyond. Doc Harris was the booming voice. "You'll Be Glad You Did"!
radiofan
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Radio Station History