Screwed At The Gas Pump (again!)

A place to post your bitch or rant about anything that's not radio related

Screwed At The Gas Pump (again!)

Postby radiofan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:32 am

For the past week or two, I keep hearing from people in Edmonton and Calgary that gas prices there are dropping almost daily.

It seems to be doing the opposite in Vancouver and the Lower Mainland.

The neighbourhood Shell and Chevron are both at $151.4 this morningt. In the Langley/South Surrey area, $138.4 seems to be the norm.

Just did some online checking ... In Kamloops Costco is $125.9, Super Save on Dallas Rd $133.9 and most others $135.9.

In Calgary, Costco is $113.9, Gas Plus is $111.9

Edmonton wins with $106.9 at a Husky on 50th Street South and $109.9 at Costco.

I think I'll head to Fred Meyer in Bellingham where regular is $3.75(US) a gallon plus I'll get a .10 cents a gallon discount for what I've spent on groceries!

As Esso used to say ... "Happy Motoring"!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Screwed At The Gas Pump (again!)

Postby hagopian » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:49 am

Gas went up six cents a litre overnight, in Halifax.

I wonder what the deal is? The economy slows and Oil prices, although holding up well, have not been record breaking. So is this a gouge?
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby CKNF » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:14 pm

radiofan wrote:In Calgary, Costco is $113.9, Gas Plus is $111.9

Damn. I filled up at $117.9 this morning. I guess I didn't look hard enough for the deals! :lol:

Usually in Calgary the prices are about the same around town. You'll find the odd place selling for a couple of cents more or less, but normally they're all roughly at the same price.

It's always amazed me how widely the prices can vary in the Vancouver metro area. There, you REALLY have to shop around. Here, the couple of cents you may save here and there usually isn't worth going too far out of your way for.

$151.4 Ouch. I hope you drive a Prius Ted! :)
hagopian wrote:Gas went up six cents a litre overnight, in Halifax.

I wonder what the deal is? The economy slows and Oil prices, although holding up well, have not been record breaking. So is this a gouge?

They say it's not only based on the price of oil, but the supply and demand for actual gasoline. I still think it's a gouge and has been for well over ten years now. The oil companies have done a GREAT job at conditioning us to think that a buck a litre is a bargain...when it wasn't all that long ago, we would have gasped at anything near that price!
CKNF
Advanced Member

Postby former tv guy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:05 pm

What bugs me is some members of the local media in Vancouver who parrot what some analysts say. Some are actually saying that we can blame higher prices here on lower production in the US and uncertainty in EGYPT!! EGYPT??!!
Egypt is the 28th largest producer of oil in the world, just behind Malaysia and ahead of North Dakota. Give me a break and do some basic research people.
former tv guy
Advanced Member

Postby Muzik » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:15 pm

Saskatoon was 124.4 yesterday , Wed was 119.9 now today 129.9 and this .4 bs I don't get that.
Muzik
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:30 pm

West of the Ontario border, Vancouver has the highest gas prices in Canada.
Blame the local and provincial goverment for piling on tax on top of the normal federal and provincial taxes.
We have a carbon tax!!! and a transit tax to prop up the inefficient public transit system that doesn`t even bother to charge riders on Skytrain (oh, I know they`re `fixing`that with faregates but what about all the uncollected money from scofflaws who`ve been riding free since the first line opened in `86?)
Out here, motorists get put on the hook for just about everything.
If you ride a bicycle, it's all free and you don't have to obey any laws.
Best: Head south of the border as we do every two weeks for a day trip.
Every two months, we go down for three days which means 800 dollars per person duty free.
Gas up for a minimum 3rd less per tank.
Buy your duty free limit of everything else.
Four bucks for a pint of cottage cheese here, $1.35 in the US.
Milk, less than 2 bucks for four litres, here, $4.59.
New 32" LED tv, $199.
I've overpaid taxes in Canada for over 50 years.
I'll take a legal break anywhere I can get it.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Hi Everyone,
Radiofan and Mike Cleaver I read your comments with much interest. Good for you Ted give the money to where it is offering you the best deal on gas! I am absolutely disgusted with a lot of things going on out in B.C. including this gas price increase. Here in the Cobourg area of Ontario gas is between 1.20 and 1.30 a liter depending on which gas station you go to. You know Mike what you have said about the support for transit and other things is again completely correct. There have been many people using ripping off the SkyTrain rapid transit system for years out there. However with the re-election of the Clark government I hate to say it but expect more taxes out in British Columbia with all Christys lame excuses for it!!! You mentioned bicycle travel Mike. Hate to mention it but that really louzy former Mayor of Langley City (we call him Fastmoneymaker) Fassbender who was elected outside where he lives in Surrey Fleetwood wanted to tax all bridge and river crossings in Greater Vancouver. Christy appointed this guy (who has very little experience in it) as BC's new education minister. This turkey wanted to get this Mike, make people with Bicycles pay for a Bicycle License and also tax them in some ways. That proposal so far has not happened but I do not trust that provincial government out in Victoria, B.C. at all and it would not surprise me that they come up with all sorts of little schemes to suck even more money out of British Columbians through taxes and user fees!!!! Radio West member ve7rox (Jim) told me all about some of the proposals by Fassbender to increase costs in Greater Vancouver.

I have a friend who has worked as a security guard for many years in Greater Vancouver and lives in Langley Township which is far more positive by the way than small Langley City, he used to work in downtown Vancouver. After the Port Mann Bridge expansion Ed absolutely refuses to drive over it and pay any tolls towards it. Thats why he is quite pleased working in Abbotsford and area for security work now. He thinks what Fassbender has done or has proposed is absolutely unbelievable and cannot stand the guy! I told Ed lucky you live in somewhat more democratic Langley Township rather than the local dictatorship of Langley City!!! So those are my thoughts on what is happening in B.C. with gas hikes, taxes and likely more to come. Be prepared for it, that provinical government is in there in Victoria for another 4 years so I don't see much hope for any tax breaks or lower gas prices out there especially in Greater Vancouver. Some other political parties in British Columbia better get their act together and put on a strong campaign next provincial election to get people out to vote and get rid of this current horrible government in Victoria! In the meantime I wish everyone the best of luck in getting their gas wherever it is cheaper including the USA, its too bad we have to turn our back on our own country in B.C. but that just seems to be the way it is lately!!!!

All the Best , Safety First,

73s Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:16 pm

Thanks to the Egypt situation, the Petro companies are giving us the shaft. The US is pumping TONS of Oil. Fracking. This is because it’s summer travelling time and a great time to put the boots to us poor gas guzzlers.
It really is a joke - where’s the Competition Bureau when you need them.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby former tv guy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:53 pm

Why should people who choose to ride bikes, not have to pay a licence fee for riding on the roads, especially in places like bike lane crazy Vancouver?

From what I've witnessed, many of them are more dangerous on the roads and to pedestrians than car drivers.
former tv guy
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:09 pm

I once did a three-month stint at a gas station (in between jobs)......working overnight, I had to report in at 6am to what was called the Rate Desk. I was in Aldergrove and there was a Husky station across the street.....I had to let the Rate Desk know what the opposition's rate was and if we were lower, I had to raise the rate immediately.

It strikes me as odd that if someone sneezes in the Middle east, the price goes up, despite the fact, we don't import oil from there. If ever some company with big bucks to support it , had the guts to take the oil companies to court, and charge them with price fixing, I'd eat my hat. The governments don't do anything because when the price goes up, their revenue goes up.

The current price in Sumas, Washington is $3.81 a gallon....here in Abbotsford , its $1.32.9 a litre....which in my figuring, makes it $5.03 a gallon. I'm heading to Sumas in the morning, as I usually do each week. Buy local? not at our price!
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:12 pm

If bicycle riders had to buy a license, mayor Moonbeam would lose a few votes. Bicycle owners once had to buy licenses...just like we have to buy dog licenses today. It bugs me enough that electric motor bikes don't need insurance plates.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:45 pm

Gas has been stuck at $1.179 here in Edmonton since the 12th. Suddenly, this morning, some areas of town are down to $1.129, while others remain $1.179.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:06 pm

Over $1.50 a litre here in Dampcouver.
Have a nice day.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:04 pm

Yes, but Vancouver is 20 minutes from a U.S. gas station. Edmonton is a 15 hour round trip away.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:21 pm

jon wrote:Yes, but Vancouver is 20 minutes from a U.S. gas station. Edmonton is a 15 hour round trip away.

Er, Jon, you're long overdue for a refresher visit to the Lower Mainland if you recall any cm of "Vancouver" as being 20 mins from a Yankee gas station.

I might be lucky to make the Peace Arch or 176th Truck Crossing from Central Park/Metrotown in 30 mins, but then there's the little problem of border line-ups which might extend to an hour or 90 mins or...

But why we bitch about gasoline prices is beyond me. Sort of takes me back to the griping about sugar in the late 60's.
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Next

Return to The Bitchin' Post