Red Robinson CFUN October 1966

The voices of CFUN and CKLG from the mid 1960's into the 1970s ... not full airchecks, but great pieces of Vancouver radio history.

Red Robinson CFUN October 1966

Postby Firedog » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:20 am

In the fall of 1966, Red Robinson was not only the PD at Vancouver's C-FUN, he also
held down afternoon drive. Red took over mornings shortly after this aircheck was made.
He can still be heard on the Vancouver airwaves each Sunday with his Red Rock Diner on CISL.

Listen to Red Robinson on C-FUN October 29, 1966

We are running in, when everybody else is running out.
Firedog
Advanced Member

Re: Red Robinson CFUN October 1966

Postby jon » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:03 pm

I never knew that Red did AM Drive on CFUN. I just assumed that Al Jordan did it straight through from when I first heard him, in February 1962, until some time after "The Last Day of CFUN", June 30, 1969, as airchecked on this site, when they switched call letters to CKVN.

Red was hired to replace Dave McCormick in early 1962 on Afternoon Drive, when Dave left to work for Ron Jacobs in Fresno. To attract Red, and get him the kind of money he wanted, he was offered both PD and Afternoon Drive. As I recall from an e-mail from Dave, Al was PD up to that point.

I have to wonder what Al did when Red took over mornings. It couldn't have been long, as I remember hearing Red doing remotes on CJOR little more than a year later, after he was hired as PD by Jim Pattison.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:34 pm

I have airchecks of Red doing mornings at CFUN in November or December of 66 and I believe he was in mornings until the death of CFUN in September 67.

Al Jordan moved to mid days and did the majority of the station's production.

Pattison hired Red at CJOR shortly after the demise of CFUN. One of Red's first tasks was to relieve Tim Burge of his 8PM to Midnight progressive rock show on CJOR. Pattison couldn't realte to the music!

After CJOR, Red worked at CKLG as a salesperson and had his first advertising agency. Red returned to the airwaves in 1973 when he took over mornings at CKWX. There city was full of "Join the Red Revolution" busboards.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:51 pm

At first, I was going to quote from Gord Lansdell's well researched history of CJOR, which places the station's sale to Jimmy Pattison as the latter part of 1965, after the BBG denied a license renewal until new owners could be found. But then I thought I'd see what was said on the Pattison web site:
For over 90 years, The Jim Pattison Broadcast Group has been at the forefront of the radio and television industry in Canada...From the launch of one of Canada’s first radio stations, CFXC AM in Vancouver in the early 1920s...

Now I don't know what to think. Except maybe that some people think that buying a company lets you take credit for that company's history.

Even that is funny, in a way, because even George Chandler, generally considered the founder of CJOR, bought CFXC from Fred Hume in 1926, and turned it into CJOR.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Vancouver T40 Radio 60s & 70s Audio Scrapbook